Olive Garden restaurant to open Monday

ALBANY, Ga. -- Olive Garden will open at 2701 Dawson Road in Albany at 11 a.m. Monday, creating 180 new jobs for the area.

The 7,441-square-foot restaurant can host up to 246 guests and features a design that is inspired by traditional farmhouses found in Tuscany, Italy.

The Albany Olive Garden has a rustic stone exterior, typical of the buildings in the Italian countryside, and an interior accented by Italian imports. Ceilings supported by exposed wood beams, stone and wood accents throughout, and terra cotta tile highlight the interior.

"I'm honored to have the opportunity to lead the Albany restaurant and a great team at Olive Garden," said Kenneth Hall, the restaurant's newly named general manager.

Hall has been with Olive Garden for a little more than a year, most recently as culinary manager of the location at 1961 Jonesboro Road in McDonough. Hall attended Albany State University, where his area of concentration was business management.

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 7 months ago

I figured that. I got a $10 off card in the mail from Johnny Careno's and Picnic Pizza's Lady at the counter was actually civil for once, like she appreciated the business and didn't call me Honey.

Amazed2 1 year, 7 months ago

When Carino's first opened they were pretty decent for a chain but they have steadily declined. I stopped going a couple years ago. The servers and service has been on decline for a few years. Last time I was there the Bartender was screaming across the room at them not about work issues but about personal crap and the servers were hollering back and they were all laughing and hollering and calling each othet names that they act like they dont want to be called. Even though our table was among this mess I still had to ask them for things they firgot and then I had to wave my arm to get my cgeck to get out of there. Not sure who was the manager on duty????

Amazed2 1 year, 7 months ago

Olive Garden will be ok for a while but like a person I know here that manages a country club he says there is a limited number of qualified waiters and waitresses and thry move around. Seriously hope Olive Garden can keep a good staff but this is Albany and things an places that work well other places fail here because a lot of people dont really want to work hard and dont care and lack personal pride in their work.

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

I heard someone say they a few servers quit already saying they would only be given two tables each and they couldn't make any money that way, but I don't know how true that is. It could be that with the anticipation of business being crazy the first couple of weeks they wanted to have a lot of servers on staff to serve all the customers and then when it slows down to normal then servers would get on a relaxed schedule and maybe get more tables, but I don't know how their system works so I really don't know. I do know I will wait a few weeks before I go there. I've gone this long without going to an Olive Garden, a few more weeks won't make no difference.

USTPC 1 year, 7 months ago

I think you may have to wait a couple months for the new to wear off.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

I expect they are planning on a high percentage of "no call/no show" from their work force. After all, the new manager knows Albany. If you can serve two tables of 4 people in an hour, that's two bills of at least $100 each. Times 15% equals $30 in an hour!!! Plus what Olive Garden pays. Not too bad. If I wasn't wheel chair bound I would jump on that.

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

That is providing the customer leaves a big tip. My sister used to work at a restaurant and a co-worker waited on a table of 8, waited on them hand and foot for an hour and all they left her was a dollar. The waitress was so pissed she took the dollar and gave it back to them.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 7 months ago

I know Olive Garden is owned by the same company that owns Long Horn and Red Lobster. Please, Kenneth Hall, don't become apathetic like the manager at Long Horn. I love Long Horn, but not the one here. Anytime we go out of town, we go to Long Horn cause the one here sucks. :(

Amazed2 1 year, 7 months ago

Yea maybe they get only two tables to start with because they dont have lots of experience. Everybody has to start somewhere but tips from 2 tables at the time certainly reduces potential. If true then Olive Garden is just trying to error on the safe side during start up. If the servers stick it out and prove themselves they will be given more soon I would think? Some staff may think they know more than they know thats why Olive Garden is starting them slow to learn the Olive Garden system. Like I said in earlier Albany only has just so many good wait staff so they move around so places like Olive Garden kind of has to raise a few waiters and waitresses.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

You won't be able to swing a cat at the intersection of Dawson Road and Westover on the next few coming weekends.........

Moe 1 year, 7 months ago

This business must be shut down. Where is Judy "Toilet" Bowles? Can't some idiots from Code Enforcement be sent in to harass them? Perhaps they are foolish enough to fly the American flag. Maybe that can be mistaken for a sign by a Code Enforcement slob. Earlier, I saw them fly a "now hiring" banner. Doesn't that violate our glorious sign ordinance? Can't they be given a citation for that?

Amazed2 1 year, 7 months ago

Cheif Proctor might as well park 2 to 3 officers near the intersection during Olive Garden's business hours. Maybe wrecker service can station a couole units there too. People will have food on the brain so watch out at Dawson and Westover. Bang, Crash, Screech, Bang¡!!!!!!

TheMember 1 year, 7 months ago

Olive Garden will not know what hit them after the Albany majority get finished eating all the salad and bread they can eat while drinking water. Then the wait staff will also be left scratching their head when they leave no tip. I might agree that help is hard to find, but when you work your butt off for a table of 4-5 only to get left $0.00 for a tip. That is what brings the wait staff to its knees.

TRUTH101 1 year, 7 months ago

Albany majority huh!?!?!?!? Albany has a nice population of mobile home owners that will do the same.......

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

I always enjoy watching the scene where a table of well dressed fat slobs eats 80% of the food and then calls the manager over to complain in hopes of gettting some or all of it free. You think that crowd will tip? That's the entitlement/gittin' mine mindset at work in the Good Life City.

RedEric 1 year, 7 months ago

Our imitation Mexican food is better than realMexican food, although I liked the goat restaurant in Monterrey, but Olive Gardens imitation Italian food always seems bland to me. Like something important was left out. As a former fat guy I know my food opinion authority is greatly diminished, but that's my take.

Yowsa51 1 year, 7 months ago

(Yawn.....) More corporate glop. Mom & Pop restaurants always outservice, outpace, and out-taste the cookie cutters. The key isn't in the food, however: without prompt and courteous service (a faltering commodity in Albany), this place is doomed.

VietVet1 1 year, 7 months ago

Looking forward in trying the new restaurant and will continue to return till it shows it doesn't need my business. Tips normally start at 20% or higher, but can go downhill with poor or lack of service.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

Tips 20% or HIGHER???? Not from me. But I always give 15% to 20% unless service sucks.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 7 months ago

Idunno, Ruby, our waiter at Loco's get's $10 tip on the $30 dinner ticket cause he is dabomb! Sometimes, when it's REALLY good, the cook gets $5.00!

TheBoss 1 year, 7 months ago

50% Tip..Come on...Trying to impress the DEMs that you are a rich Republican?

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 7 months ago

I cant wait for Olive Garden to open! Authentic Italian fine-dining at it's best!

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 7 months ago

touche!

DYA (damn you auto-correct)

TD31707 1 year, 7 months ago

Authentic Italian and fine dining??? You can't be serious!?!?! I personally like Olive Garden, it's a good value for a decent meal, but it's not "fine" dining, certainly not with the level of service from the Albany workforce. The "authentic Italian" is a total misstatement, this is a Italian style food dulled down to cater to the masses. If they thought ketchup instead of Marinara sauce would increase sales, you'd have a plate of spaghetti covered in Heinz being served there.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 7 months ago

I take it your sarcasm radar is malfunctioning...

agirl_25 1 year, 7 months ago

Well it is late Monday night...anyone have a review of Olive Garden? Let's hear the reviews. I don't like to go to authentic ethnic restaurants. I am usually disappointed. Have any of you ever been to Italy and had authentic Italian food? Or any other place where they had the real deal?

la321 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm glad olive garden listened i've been requesting for an olive garden to open here we needed some new restaurants