Squawk of the day - Sept. 10, 2012

"My wife woke up this morning to a ticket on her car from the Albany Police for parking against the flow of traffic in front of our house. The ticket was written at 3:30 a.m. What’s worse, the police trying to generate revenue with ridiculous tickets or writing ridiculous tickets at the same time criminals are breaking into houses, cars or businesses?"

Comments

attywarr 1 year, 10 months ago

Stop whining and OBEY THE LAW!!!!

MRKIA 1 year, 10 months ago

DON'T DRAW THEIR ATTENTION BY PARKING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. COULD HAVE BEEN A GET-AWAY CAR PARKED FOR ALL THEY KNOW.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 10 months ago

Well this is Albany. If you don’t go with the flow “they” will make you pay.

Moral; don’t buck the system in Albany!

MRKIA 1 year, 10 months ago

THIS ALSO TELLS YOU THAT THEY ARE PATROLLING AND DID PAY ATTENTION, THIS TIME.

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

As we have heard before, "The law is the law!" Actually it is probably because the plate reader can't read the plate, and they thought you had something to hide, like a stolen car.

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

There probably has been a complaint by one of your neighbors. Are you also parked at the end of one of their driveways. They also did you a big favor, if you are ever hit, then you cannot make claim on the other driver for you are illegally parked.

nofreeloader 1 year, 10 months ago

I guess the ticket was just a smack on your hand, They could've towed it away.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

I know someone else who had this happen to them. There were three cars parked against the flow of traffic in front of her duplex...hers was the only one ticketed. If one was breaking the law, then they ALL were breaking the law and should have been ticketed.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Were all 3 parked there at the same time when the ticket was written out?

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

Perhaps the unticketed vehicles had a piece of black electricians tape on the bumper with a single stripe of blue wire marking tape stretched down the center of it. Represents the "Thin Blue Line" so your brother officers won't ticket you.

TRUTH101 1 year, 10 months ago

Maybe...just maybe the owners of the other two cars had already retrieved theirs........

bigbob 1 year, 10 months ago

It's alot safer to write parking tickets than to deal with real criminals.

RedEric 1 year, 10 months ago

Enforcing minor crimes is a good way to catch crooks. It's not that dumb of a law and easy to follow. I am more of an anarchist personal responsibility type, but rules are rules or they are not. You can't chose which laws to obey else you would be like these made up religions which are surely down to five commandments by now.

erudite 1 year, 10 months ago

What religion is NOT made up? All religious systems have been made by man.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

What religion is NOT made up? Only yours..........

RedEric 1 year, 10 months ago

I love to hear evolutionists try to explain the five foot strand of DNA in each cell of your body. It has millions of rungs with five combination per rung and influence from the legs. It is a computer program of mind boggling complexity. The possibility of this occurring naturally makes Mega Millions look like a sure thing.

USTPC 1 year, 10 months ago

Let's see...3:30 AM issuing a parking ticket, 3:45 AM home invasion. Granted they were on separate nights, but still funny.

I have to ask.....I fully understand the need on a primary or secondary road that has a heavy traffic flow because of the potential for head on collisions by drivers not patient enough to wait until there is no oncoming traffic, but what is the point of a law that makes it illegal to park in the opposite direction of traffic on a residential street?

In addition to that, it obviously is not enforced all the time because I have seen several instances on my street where someone had a party and the attendees were parked in all different directions and a police officer just drove on by and did not stop and give any of them a ticket.

TRUTH101 1 year, 10 months ago

YOU GOT CAUGHT!!!!! SHUT-UP and PAY THE FINE!!!!!! Just because you dont agree with the law does not mean you can break it. I dont see the point of issueing out fines to people not wearing a seatbelt (it is their life) but they have to pay the ticket when caught.......

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

Parking backwards on public streets and seat belt laws are a form of "too much government" and not focusing on the REAL problems. Pure and simple. Meanwhile all manner of REAL crime is being committed around town. Carnage continues unabated.

alleebrin 1 year, 10 months ago

I never saw people park on the wrong side of the street, nor in the wrong direction of the street, until I came to Albany! Doesn't seem to matter here which side nor in which direction you are going. If the police are really going to ticket for this offense, they should pick up a lot of revenue. Go get 'em!

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

At least a policeman was patroling the area, who knows, perhaps a burglary is in progress and he just happens to be there. Even if a home invasion is taking place, this is not the movies or cop shows where the police magically show up out of nowhere. The police can't watchy every house every minute of the day.

TheBoss 1 year, 10 months ago

Sit and watch the stupid drivers around the 1st of the month at the downtown Post Office. The police could write 50 tickets a day but I have never seen one written.

Amazed2 1 year, 10 months ago

Well tell her to park correctly instead of driving on the wrong side of the road. Is she British?

Amazed2 1 year, 10 months ago

You could put a big note on the windshield an explain that you wife just does this kind of stuff. Ask the officer to ring your doorbell next time at 3:30 am and let her sign for the ticket. If I were you I would request a jury trial.

bubbavet 1 year, 10 months ago

Hello people !! The cop new who owned the car. He had to run the tag first. He could have given a warning, but noooooo!! He had to show his authority. What goes around comes around.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 10 months ago

I have always said that karma will come back around to bite some cops in the butt.

Gephill 1 year, 10 months ago

A ticket for illegal parking.I agree with that, But when my daughter in law was involved in a accident , the other women was driving on a suspended license, speeding, left the scene, had open cotainer in her vehicle. Guess what no ticket. I guess in Albany it is who you know on the APD.

ustaknow 1 year, 10 months ago

Take a ride down 8th avenue between Palmyra and Slappey cars are parked on both sides of the street across from each other- reducing traffiic to barely one lane of traffic and that is in center of road. I have called 311 and told them about it but nothing gets done. Someone will get killed in a collision and then they will finally issue citations

tocar 1 year, 10 months ago

If you have a driveway then you need to park your vehicles in your yard. Parking in the streets makes it difficult for through traffic to see and travel through. It is also easy access for thieves. I respect my neighbors and think more of my vehicles than parking it in the street. It makes a neighborhood look trashy too. There are many senior adults and children who walk for exercise and vehicles parked in the streets makes it dangerous for these people.

43cop 1 year, 10 months ago

Gephill, I make a suggestion that you contact the police officer that worked the accident and ask why the tickets were not written on the other driver. As for the officer giving a ticket for parking the wrong way on the street, the following is true. The more visible the police are, the less crime in any given area. As for writing the ticket, I just wish he would work the streets of Westgate and write tickets for every car parked/impeding traffic and maybe the taxpayers of these streets could drive without having to stop and wait of traffic to pass. I commend the officer for doing his job.

nofreeloader 1 year, 10 months ago

I thought about this today,an the last thing i want is a police officer coming an waking me up at 330am in the morning ,that would cause more of a commotion then the ticket . I'd first have chest beating heart palpitations then a since of major paranoia that someone in my family was hurt or even worse. Quickly followed by a ride in the ambulance to the ER for a breath stopping anxiety attack . Thank goodness you got a ticket, an the officer didn't bother you. Press on good citizen pay the fine. But it is one you can hold against your wife for years.