Nonprofit offender service to hold drive

ALBANY, Ga. — The Post-Release Intervention Counseling Service will hold a voter registration drive Saturday from noon to 3 p.m. in the Southside Pool Room at 310 Highland Avenue.

Citizens 18 and over are invited to participate in the registration drive, but officials with the counseling service are making a special appeal to ex-offenders who may have thought they’d lost their voting privileges forever.

The Rev. Henry Mathis notes that Georgia’s Constitution and election code state that an offender can vote once he or she has completed all court sentences, including incarceration, fines, restitution, probation and parole, so long as the offender meets other requirements of Georgia citizenship, age and residency.

Post-Release Intervention Counseling Service was founded in 2008 by Mathis. It is a nonprofit organization that provides post-release counseling throughout the state of Georgia in an effort to reduce recidivism.

Information is available by emailing prics_ga@yahoo.com.

Comments

dingleberry 1 year, 10 months ago

Should be plenty of potential in Albany. Do I smell a grant in the woodpile?

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

Henry Mathis ought to know, he is one of the offenders. Fresh out of prison, but the pockets will not flow forth. Nor where did the REV. come from???

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

Iz be there....Iz here illegally but Prez Obamer says I can vote cuz he need my hep!!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

Only tax paying citizens should have the Vote. 50% do not pay federal income tax but receive some form of entitlement income (not speaking of social security or medicare). Those will vote for MORE money in their pockets every time over the future of the USA.

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

OMG OMG OMG.....another REVEREND....and I think this time it is the fella I have been looking for......isn't Henry the one who used to run for office in Albany everytime something was up for grabs? He kind of is a small little fella, always had that trust me smile on his face and was around about the time of another famous felon some gal attorney who had the famous trust me smile too, who I do believe was disbarred and maybe did some time in prison. OMG you just can't make stuff like this up. My friends tell me that between the funny tales of the cell phone calls we used to be able to listen in on in the 90's and early 2000 (damn the digital age!) to the antics of these crazy people in DoCo I surely need to write a book. I have hunkered down and am ready to keep an eye on good ole Henry. Wasn't he always butting heads with some tall skinny guy who was not a very good city councilman but had the people believing he was...can't recall his name.......but I think, or I hope the people finally wised up. Maybe he was Charles someone. He was probably a Reverand too...hahaha. PLEASE HERALD....LET'S NOT CALL HIM REVERAND MATHIS OR AFRICAN AMERICAN UNTIL WE ARE SURE HE HAS THE PROPER PAPERWORK TO SHOW HE IS A REVERAND OR THAT IN FACT HE WAS BORN IN AFRICA.........THANKS.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 10 months ago

Henry Mathis is a former City Commissioner who was found guilty of black mailing some of his constituents and did serve, I believe, two years in prison. Have you ever talked to Henry? He works very hard and is interested in what is going on in this town. I maybe wrong in my assumptions, but I do believe some City Commissioners set him up and went to prison for it. BTW, I am white and yes, I am coming to his defense because he really gets a bad rap and he really is a nice guy if you talk to him. Knowing how some of the Commissioners work in Albany, I do believe he was set up and all of you can say what you want about Henry and myself but if you step foot in my shoes, you would understand my point.

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

OK I believe you but all I know about him is what I saw on TV many years ago..him always running for some office or another. Maybe he did get set up, who knows? I may not have been in the area when that was going down. I do remember he ran for office all the time tho. It was about the time the woman lawyer was in the news all the time defending someone for something or another and the skinny councilman was in the news too. Can't remember his name. I can't remember if she did time or not. Just so the Herald doesn't call him Reverand or African-American unless he can prove it. I will be happy. Those are my only two wishes. I am sure he is a nice fella and I am sure he wants to do good for the community but like someone said...."do I smell a grant?" Yes, you can bet you do. Oh and P.S......hate the email address.....but for the addition of one letter it is a riot.....

prics_ga@yahoo.com..............

is it just me with a dirty mind....probably just me, huh.....

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 10 months ago

Sending you a private message now.

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

uh oh I am in big trouble now I bet......off to the woodshed for me.....

Jacob 1 year, 10 months ago

" I maybe wrong in my assumptions:

You are. Now you know.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

I's donts even knows who Abama iz, but i hurd hes black, thats all i's needs to know and that who i be vote for.

MRKIA 1 year, 10 months ago

A VOTER REGISTRATION DRIVE AT THE POOL ROOM? OOOOOOOK.