Porter sets October hearing dates for Heard lawsuit

Attorney Henry Williams, left, and Greater 2nd Mt. Olive Baptist Church Pastor Lorenzo Heard stand on the steps of the Dougherty County Courthouse Tuesday where they announced they have filed suit to force the county Board of Elections to place Heard’s name on the November ballot against Lane Price in the at-large school board race.

ALBANY, Ga. — South Georgia Judicial District Superior Court Judge J. Richard Porter II has scheduled hearing dates for Lorenzo Heard’s suit against the Dougherty County Board of Elections.

Porter set Oct. 1 and 2 at 9 a.m. in Dougherty Superior Court to hear the case. Board attorney Ed Collier confirmed receipt of the hearing notice Tuesday morning.

Heard filed suit against the Elections Board last month in an effort to get his name on the Nov. 6 ballot as an independent to run in the Dougherty school board race against Democratic nominee Lane Price.

The pastor of Greater 2nd Mt. Olive Baptist Church, Heard attempted to enter the race immediately after Price defeated incumbent Anita Williams-Brown in the July 31 primary.

Heard mounted a drive to qualify as an independent candidate but was denied by the Board of Elections because he “had not fulfilled all three requirements necessary” to qualify as an independent candidate.

His attorneys, Maurice King and Henry Williams, then filed suit on Aug. 28.

Dougherty County’s three superior court judges — Stephen Goss, Willie Lockett and Denise Marshall — all voluntarily recused themselves. South Georgia Judicial Circuit Chief Judge Harry Aultman appointed Porter to hear the case.

Days later, Heard placed a classified ad in The Albany Herald announcing his intention to run as a write-in candidate for the at-large school board seat.

In a related development, on Monday Heard hand-delivered a letter to The Herald complaining of the paper “casting political advertisements as news stories.”

“I am writing this letter to request equal time and equal opportunity,” Heard wrote.”I am requesting equal time because the actions of your newspaper are calculated to give a political advantage to my opponent.”

The Herald has attempted to contact Heard on at least four occasions over the past month — twice to request comments and two other times requesting interviews — three of the calls were not returned.

Heard did return a call late Tuesday requesting a interview for Thursday. He said he’d have to check his appointment book and call back. The Herald is still waiting on that return call.

Comments

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 7 months ago

Justice at last, thank you for all the great things that are to come.

The Hidden Agenda was stopped in it's tracks.

We love Dr. Murfree and our strong board, we the tax payers, we paid the bills, we pay the cost to be the boss, keep talking sister, and we'll keep handling the business.

Bubba Boss Vet!

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 7 months ago

I've asked before, I'll ask again....who is the "we" you keep referring to?

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 7 months ago

That's the only answer I can imagine...

gotanyfacts 1 year, 7 months ago

B_rureel, lately your posts create an image of an out-of-sync, pompom flailing cheerleader. ;)

bubbavet 1 year, 7 months ago

You ain't got enough sense to pay attention.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 7 months ago

I want whatever you are smokin or drinkin.....

TheMember 1 year, 7 months ago

I am telling you again, Bubbavet_rureel is just a kid trying to get everyone stirred up. Not even a relative of the gang of four can believe the system is strong. Let's run him off by not replying to his nonsense.

VietVet1 1 year, 7 months ago

Williams & Heard - two clowns in action. I'll always remember Williams saying "da's trying to Whitemale us" - what a racist

TheBoss 1 year, 7 months ago

Guess it will take 2 days to present all the witnesses in the case, Daffy Duck, Mickey Mouse, Tinker Bell and Pee Wee Herman.

FryarTuk 1 year, 7 months ago

Tink will not be subpoenaed. Thank you.

LoneCycler 1 year, 7 months ago

Pee Wee Herman is a cycling community star. Please leave him out of this mess, thanks.

RedEric 1 year, 7 months ago

That sure is a nice picture of Bishop Heard. Whose the stupid looking guy with him? What does he do if he loses? I can't wait for the next installment. This is like Saturday morning serials. Sometimes the wait is better than the installment.

carbonrob 1 year, 7 months ago

The really sad thing about all of this is that people will actually vote for him in droves! What does that say about this city/county?

agirl_25 1 year, 7 months ago

Just last week we had a MissDivaBrown saying all sorts of wonderful things about Heard and we axed her some questions....actually left them for her to answer but alas, she never came back to answer them for us..sigh sigh.....we don't know why. Now I kinda wonder if they were hard for her to answer. She said her good friend, Heard, answered on God's time so maybe it wasn't his time yet but we did say to her....."Lucy, you got some splainin to do" as it concerned some nasty rumors we heard about his personal life...you know.....those type of rumors.....yes, yes, those rumors....We waited and waited and as fired up as she was over defending him and his honor she never did come back so maybe he is not as good a man as she said he was..hmmmm ya think? Carbonrob......as to the question you asked..I guess the answer is it means they don't care about integrity and honesty in a person.....does it? If what we read is true, then morals don't matter do they?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

Ever seen a Tyler Perry movie, a_girl?

agirl_25 1 year, 7 months ago

I saw one years ago but I cannot tell you the name of it or the storyline. He played the part of a woman named Madea. I think Eddie Murphy may have been in it too.

chinaberry25 1 year, 7 months ago

What never ceases to amaze me, is why does Dr. Price want to stoop to join all those clowns on school board? Enjoy your life. You have reached the age to play and be happy. You will never have that serving on the school board. All you will ever do in stir muddy water. I know women had to fight like that years ago, but this is different. Women wanted it, the DCSS and its voters do not want it. So give them what they ask for. Go to some of the web sites and see what they are saying about South Georgia. We are a joke. You do not want to move there. On and on. Industries look at these things.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 7 months ago

Once the people come together, then change will come. We the people set the stag for this community, all hidden agenda's will be crushed.

Keep typing and we'll keep winning!

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 7 months ago

I told ya'll LAST WEEK what Porter would do. He has now set the stage for his ruling to put Heard on the ballot. Porter is as big a jackass as Heard and his camp are racists. Cheer up, oh ye ignorant of Albany, your racist school board will be intact come November. You will have yet another black man teaching your black male children how to cheat and lie to get what they want And the status quo will be maintained in Albany....

agirl_25 1 year, 7 months ago

I have hung around all these months to see the outcome of the election because I have found it fascinating mostly because it is a black/white thing (in my opinion). I really will hate to think of how the kids remaining in the DCSS are going to suffer if the buffons who are on the board are still there come November and Heard is elected to it. I am so thankful I don't have children in the DCSS or have relatives with children in the system, and even more thankful I don't live in DoCo..or even go there. I will return to the more civilized boards that I usually post on come November but will certainly peek in here from time to time to see the chaos that is the Squawk of the day. I won't be posting much in the next few months because of health matters that will keep me away from the PC for a while. I have enjoyed the Squawk a great deal and to say it has been a crazy ride would be an understatement. The other blogs I am affiliated with are quite different...one pertains to military matters..benefits for military wives they may not be aware of, and benefits (little goodies) for military members, and one is a health related one, so this has been an experience, let me tell you!! So have fun and try to be kind.....even tho it is hard at times....but do what I do.ignore the SOB's.....hahahaha.......byeeeee

tywebb 1 year, 7 months ago

by sob's you mean bvr, right? best wishes for whatever ails you. peace

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 7 months ago

no, she means you and your sister ruby.....