Phoebe: Bibles available to patients

ALBANY, Ga. -- Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital officials say they removed Bibles from rooms at the hospital for infection control.

In response to calls and emails sent to The Albany Herald this week, Phoebe officials explained the removal of the Bibles.

Jackie Ryan, vice president of corporate strategy with Phoebe, said the Bibles had been taken out of the patient rooms several years ago to help with infection control, action taken with other items throughout the hospital -- including magazines.

The removal does not mean that Bibles are unavailable to those who want one, Ryan said in a statement to The Herald.

"Several years ago we stopped the process of having Bibles left in rooms for multiple patients to use," she wrote. "This is a standard infection control measure and is reflected in other areas as well, such as in pediatrics where there are no 'community books.'

"As you know, Phoebe has a strong chaplaincy program to provide for the spiritual needs of patients and families. Although no Bibles are left in rooms for multiple patient use, the Gideons have continued to come to the hospital and they deliver Bibles to patients via our nursing stations and place new Bibles in cleaned rooms. New Bibles are available to patients via the Gideons, or patients and families may ask a nurse for a Bible supplied by our chaplaincy. When the patients leave, they may take the Bible with them. If they leave it behind, our EVS staff removes the Bible. The next patient gets a new one.

"We have a dozen dedicated Gideon volunteers who provide this service on Saturdays twice monthly. They have committed to the volunteer process and met all requirements. We have no record of patient or family complaints about availability of Bibles," Ryan concluded.

When asked if other items had been removed from patient rooms, Ryan said that items such as television remotes are sanitized by staff.

Comments

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

Phoebe needs to remove the trash from the rooms. That would help control infection a lot.

Amazed2 2 years, 1 month ago

Frytuk unfortunately you are overplaying your words. Noting is reused in hospitals anymore God gave us knowledge and the ability to learn and use our mind. Germs can be spread on anythjng. Unfortunately you can thank lawyers and frivoulous law suits against the medical profession also Somebody gets an infection who do they file suit against? The hospital and doctors. Hence this raises the bar for the hospital and others they have to do as much as possible to prevent passing germs otherwise a jury of 12 will hear the dirty bible caused an infection.sad but the facts.

Tonto 2 years, 1 month ago

Would like to know what they do with the removed bibles if every patient gets a new one?

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

They may disinfected the bibles in some form.

Amazed2 2 years, 1 month ago

I would think or hope that give out new bibles?? Sealed uo I hope?? Good question maybe somebody in the know can comment??

Amazed2 2 years, 1 month ago

I dont go to the doctor office but a couple times a year but I take my own reading material if I want to read. Think about all those old magazines and hiw many sick people handle them daily!! Yuck!!!

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Good point, I never thought of that. Sometimes you get bored and pick up a magazine, but I never even thought about that. Fortunately the last two times I went I got called in before I even sat down good.

RedEric 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh Dear Lord, they are desecrating the Bible. Let's go burn down the Iranian Embassy.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

The Word of the Lord endureth forever. God said it!!

Cartman 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm no fan of Phoebe's administration, but it sounds like they are handling this the right way.

tocar 2 years, 1 month ago

Phoebe could stand to improve the sanitation of each room. I have observed dirty mop water used to mop room after room and the dirty water is left in puddles on the floors to dry. YUCK!