Perry cancels 'Madea' show for Albany

ALBANY, Ga. — Actor, director and playwright Tyler Perry canceled the remaining shows of his popular "Madea Gets a Job," stage play Monday afternoon after he says too many people were charging exorbitant prices for events related to the show.

The show, which was set to be in Albany Friday night, has now been canceled, City of Albany Recreation and Parks Director Suzanne Davis confirmed Monday afternoon.

"If anyone has bought tickets through the Civic Center, they can come by tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon and refunds will be available," Davis said.

Perry said that ticket bootleggers, scalpers and others led to his decision to cancel the shows.

"Even though I set these prices so that they are affordable, fees are added that are out of my control and the price of the tickets can almost double. Add to that, when you go online looking for tickets, in lots of cases, you are being led to a bootlegger and you don't even know it. There are a lot of ticket bootleggers and scalpers that buy lots of shows and sell them to the public for double, sometimes triple the price. I've been dealing with this for years but now with the Internet I've never seen it this bad," Perry wrote in the e-mail.

Perry also said that there were "horrible people" who were charging high prices to see a person pretending to be him.

"Also, there are some horrible people who are pretending to be me or representing me on Facebook and charging people money to do a meet and greet on the tour. They are telling people that they are me or working for me and charging them $150 for a meet and greet after the play. Don't fall for this. That's not me.This is so frustrating. Why are people so evil? Why can't people just get legitimate jobs and stop trying to do the wrong thing all the time? If they put the same amount of energy into doing the right thing as they do in doing the wrong thing they could make it. It's so sad," he writes.

This was going to be Perry's last live tour.

Comments

jeannew 2 years, 3 months ago

I just bought my ticket Saturday and was looking forward to enjoying this play. People always have to suffer for the conduct of others. So sad. I am disappointed but I understand why he cancelled. This was good wholesome entertainment.

chinaberry25 2 years, 3 months ago

Probably was afraid of a big fight and show being cancelled anyway!

billybob 2 years, 3 months ago

Yes. Nothing says wholesome like a heavyset woman of color who is prone to violence and brandishing a gun for trivial offenses.

billslugg 2 years, 3 months ago

Something does not add up here. If he is deliberately underpricing his tickets, he is going to be giving away money. Expecting people not to take advantage of it (despite scalping laws) is naive. Why does he give a rip that a willing seller and a willing buyer might exchange something of value? No one is being hurt. This is a victimless crime. Methinks he protests too much. I think he just wanted to get out of the rest of the tour.

Cartman 2 years, 3 months ago

Sorry. But I've never heard of this guy.

Terry.Lewis 2 years, 3 months ago

Sister Ruby will be devastated :)

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 3 months ago

Thanks Terry and yes I had close up seats in the Powered Wheel Chair section. But it's just another case of peoples making a buck off other peoples and we all have to suffer for it.

Now, on to November. I can't wait to find out how stupid the voters of America are and how many more years we've got as a Nation.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 3 months ago

Albany NEEDS a big ole dose of Madea and because of the actions of others, that has been taken away. If you have never seen Madea, I recommend Madea's Family Reunion or Madea Goes to Jail. Both have messages that ALL people, young and old, need to hear.

jglass 2 years, 3 months ago

Kudos to Tyler Perry for not letting people be taken advantage of!!

straightface 2 years, 3 months ago

He just did not get enough sells like he wanted thats all.

GeorgiaAl 2 years, 3 months ago

He canceled the Macon shows, too. I would have enjoyed it, me and the wife, but we couldn't afford the tickets, even at box office prices. Perry has done well and speaks volumes to many people with his comedic slant. I guess we will have to wait for it to hit the Redbox..... We can afford that!!!!