Library director dies of apparent heart attack

Ashley Moore

Ashley Moore

ALBANY, Ga. — Ashley Moore, the youthful face of the Dougherty County Library System, died unexpectedly overnight, county officials confirmed Tuesday morning. She was 36-years-old.

Moore reportedly was taken to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital where she later died. Early reports are that Moore suffered a heart attack. There is no word on funeral arrangements.

Dougherty County Clerk Jawahn Ware and members of the Library Board confirmed Moore’s death Tuesday morning.

As executive director of the county’s Library system, she oversaw operations of the county’s three library branches.

“Mary Antoine the assistant director has been appointed interim director until we can constitute a search committee. “We will do a search for another director but no matter how far our search takes us, it’ll be hard to replace Ashley. She was a tireless worker and lived the work of the library,” Library Board Chairman Guy Craft said.

Craft said that purple wreaths will be placed on all of the open branches in remembrance of Moore and her work.

“She was our youngest director and of course we’re all heartbroken and saddened to hear of her passing,” Craft said.

Moore attended Monday’s library board meeting and appeared to be well right up until the meeting adjourned around 7:30 p.m., Craft said. Later in the evening, however, EMT’s responded to Moore’s house and rushed her to the hospital where she was later pronounced dead.

Moore, who served as assistant director under Teresa Cole, became interim director when Cole left for Augusta in April of 2011. In November 2011, she was tapped to be the permanent head of the organization.

She held a masters degree in Library and Information Studies from the University of Alabama and held a specialist designation in Library and Information Studies from Florida State University.

She had previously worked in the Gwinnett Public Library System and the Peach County Public Library System.

Comments

Buckeye 1 year, 7 months ago

What a shame! She was a huge asset to our community and was capable of many great things. I will miss her smiling face.

sober_mom 1 year, 7 months ago

Ashley had such a sweet spirit. She always had a smile on her face and a kind word to be said. She will be missed by all who have come in contact with her.

VietVet1 1 year, 7 months ago

"was taken to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital where she later died" now that scares me. So sad.

broke 1 year, 7 months ago

I am a library employee and I can promise you that Ashley was the nicest, kindest boss to work for. She fought for her employees and truly cared for the libraries and its patrons. It really angers me that a few people from our community would harass her relentlessly about the library closing two locations. She was a wonderful person, boss and friend. She will be missed!

stc1993 1 year, 7 months ago

Wow so young, my condolences to her family & friends.

Momof3 1 year, 7 months ago

SOO very sad!!! RIP Ashley!

change 1 year, 7 months ago

I had the opportunity to meet her when i interviewed for a position with the system and she had a pleasant personality and we spent quite a bit of time discussing the library and information industry. My condole scenes to her family and friends. May she rest in peace.

durbin 1 year, 7 months ago

She will be greatly missed. Best wishes to her family.

Margie 1 year, 7 months ago

My prayers goes out to her family. I didn't visit the library often, but she had such a beautiful smile. Rest in peace.

chinaberry25 1 year, 7 months ago

I met her a couple of weeks ago and she was a breath of fresh air. I saw a purple bow and it never in a million years would have thought it was her. Taken away too soon!

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

I've never met her as I never go to the library but my condolences to her family. Shame to die so young, and a heart attack at her age. Terrible!