Graper files racial discrimination complaint against DCSS

ALBANY, Ga. -- The Albany Herald has learned that Dougherty County School System Federal Programs Director Betty Graper has filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) Civil Rights Division contending she was discriminated against by the majority black school system on the basis of of her race.

Graper, who is black, filed her complaint in early August after Georgia Department of Education Title Programs investigators questioned the awarding of two consultant contracts in FY 2011-12 which were paid for with Title I money.

Last week, the USDOE sent a letter to DCSS Supt. Joshua Murfree which contends the District falsely accused Graper of improperly awarding contracts without first seeking school board approval.

The GaDOE is currently asking the DCSS for the reclassification of of $134,626 in "questionable" Title I expenditures from FY11-12, including $91,000 for Darrell Sabbs and Associates and $18,000 for motivational speaker Joseph Washington.

The department has placed a freeze on more than $11 million in federal Title I funding and has given the District until Sept. 28 to comply.

The USDOE said that Graper's complaint has been referred to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) for review.

"This referral delegates to the EEOC our investigative authority under statutes and regulations enforced by the OCR (Office of Civil Rights)," The letter states. "Accordingly, we have requested that the EEOC, as part of its investigation, obtain information regarding whether the alleged employment discrimination results in prohibited discrimination against intended beneficiaries of the program."

Comments

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow even more proof Graper is a DCSS winner. She is claiming being incompetent and unqualified for the job is the same as being Black. How racist can you be? One has NOTHING to do with the other!

tywebb 2 years, 2 months ago

unfortunately, alot of times, they really do go hand in hand. Especially in Hellbany! And even more especially when it comes to the DCSS

doingwhatisright 2 years, 3 months ago

Huh? Someone explain it to me. Another WOW for Betty?

MisterEd 2 years, 3 months ago

This is almost funny. You just can't make this stuff up.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 3 months ago

Lord, we sure got some doozies on the payroll down here at the DoCo school system. When all else fails play the Race Card.........just in case.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 3 months ago

Somebody who is paid a Hundred Thousand Dollars per Year as the Director (aka Boss) of a specific program who does not know what's legal and illegal, what's right and wrong, and what is proper and what is improper according to the rules...........of course their next step when found out to be doing illegal, wrong, improper things is going to be hire a lawyer and file a frivilous, stupid suit which has no basis whatsoever and is ridiculous on its face since 90% of the system is Black and she is Black and her boss (#34) is Black.

WeAreThey 2 years, 3 months ago

We laugh off these repeated EEOC complaints but it's no laughing matter. In Albany, it's the 'understood' way to get a check. The City, the County and DCSS will all quickly cough up a settlement on cases they would never lose. If Graper gets a settlement, then we'll know her complaint was pre-arranged and an act of collusion with DCSS management.

bigbob 2 years, 3 months ago

She will get paid off which is a joke because the corrupt black school system protects her kind if at all possible. Oh well reading about DCSS is way better than the comics. There is even a clown with a bowtie.

VietVet1 2 years, 3 months ago

Umm wonder why creditable businesses don't want to come to Albany? Inquiring minds want to know. ....... NOT

RedEric 2 years, 3 months ago

How do you have racial discrimination if everyone involved is the same race? ( I don't like that word) I can understand sexual harassment if all involved is the same sex, but what was done to discriminate racially? To black, not black enough. I've heard black people call each other the forbidden N word before. You know, the one that would get a white guy fired. And neither party seemed to be outraged by it's use. I'm sorry, I just don't get the plot of this comedy episode. I don't think the general public outside Albany will believe such a thing could happen. I do tell people out of State of the Albany shenanigans, and after a few, they will say "Oh, come on now, you don't expect us to believe that!" this is one of those stories.....they won't believe it.

change 2 years, 2 months ago

What is funny to me regarding the "N" word is that teens call each that word regardless of their color. I worked in a group home for teens with substance abuse problems and the majority of them were White and it boggled my mind to hear one White boy call another White boy they end word and when I acked them about it, all of the guys, Black and White corrected me and told that it was how they greeted each other and the did not reallize the negative aspects of the word, which is bastardzation of "negro." This is the most racist thing I have ever came across, I always proudly said that in the south, it didn't matter what color the skin if you passed by someone sitting on the porch or doing something the yard, you would receive the wave of a hand or nodding of the head.

Tonto 2 years, 2 months ago

Hard to believe FOX hasn't offered to turn this into one of those dumb reality shows. Should come on right after that Honey Boo-Boo thing.

Amazed2 2 years, 2 months ago

??? Maybe I just dont get it?? You work for as predomanetly black school system and your immediate superiors are black and last time I saw you you were looking black I think. Albany even has a black mayor and a black city manager. The Police Force is predomanetly black so I am puzzled. Help somebody explain to me how you have been racially discriminated against? Maybe you best shot at suing the DCSS is to say that they they put you in a position that you were not qualified for against your will? I dont know if that sticks or not but I am having trouble rationalizing this one. Amazed2 Yet Again

athens 2 years, 2 months ago

S O S,,,,ALBANY GA,,,ANOTHER REASON I LEFT,,,YOU CAN TOO!!!!

lynn227 2 years, 2 months ago

Then COMPLETELY stay away! That includes NO commenting on our sites.

j1984 2 years, 2 months ago

So sad to see this, I'm still amazed at a racial discrimination lawsuit!! ha ha, so I guess despite the fact its black on black, its the fact they are a shade lighter or darker that makes all the difference!!! No, you got caught not doing your job, own up to it, and stop trying to portray the victim

FryarTuk 2 years, 2 months ago

The best defense is a good offense. What better one to have than a discrimination complaint. Which serves up the proof she has a no defense and has been cut out of the herd for sacrifice. Apparently ole #34 covered his bohunkus pretty good. I still think he should give back his cut from the consulting and speaking tours of Saba and Washington.

In the off chance the complaint succeeds it would provide cover for the members of the incestuous nest of rogues because it would just about make the entire corruption strategy radioactive which elected authorities including prosecutors do not want to touch.

I'll bet you $50 it will not deter Dr. Price though. You aint seen nothing until you've seen a mature doctor with convictions stumble up on child abuse in a corrupt institution which is a perfect description of the DCSS.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 2 months ago

What!!!???? This story doesn't even make sense. Why would you file an EEOC complaint on people of your own color? Good luck with that one, Graper. Man, you just cannot make this crap up that goes on in this town.

VSU 2 years, 2 months ago

Don't forget that Mattie Goodard filed a racial discrimination suit against Al Lott a few years back and they were both black, so in Albany nothing is uncommon.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

You are correct, VSU, but if memory serves, Goodard did not receive any cashola because her "suit" was thrown out having no basis in fact.

TheBoss 2 years, 2 months ago

She knows her job is on the chopping block, so she filed a complaint ahead of time to stop #34 or the new Board from removing her, cause if they do it will be racial issue.

FryarTuk 2 years, 2 months ago

That's a big 10-4, good buddy.

Trustbuster 2 years, 2 months ago

Lord have mercy! I wouldn't know where to start with this one. I guarantee you this ridiculous complaint is why Albany and DOCO have so many problems.

ontario1966 2 years, 2 months ago

Betty Graper, your nothing but a racist yourself! People just like you is what makes Albany look so bad!!! You should be ashamed of yourself and hide underneath a rock! What a slim bucket!! I hope you get fired very soon!!!