The Pizza Shop closes downtown

Downtown Albany’s The Pizza Shop on West Broad Avenue has closed.

Downtown Albany’s The Pizza Shop on West Broad Avenue has closed.

ALBANY, Ga. -- The Pizza Shop, a downtown Albany restaurant, recently closed its doors, with a yet undisclosed new restaurant poised to occupy the same location.

The Pizza Shop officially cut the ribbon on it's 232 West Broad Avenue location in January. The restaurant was operated by Fran Bragg and her brother, Jack Mannino, son and daughter of Vinny Mannino of the now defunct Mama Gina's Italian Restaurant on North Slappey Boulevard.

Bragg and Mannino have been unavailable for comment, with no further information concerning the closing. According to local realtor, Mary Carter, another restaurant is set to occupy the former Pizza Shop space on West Broad. Carter said she expects the owners of the new business release more information "very soon."

Comments

VietVet1 1 year, 7 months ago

Albany!!! Ummm the "Good Life City" - that is if you're the majority - - on welfare, gang member, or low life. But the few good folks can't support an honest business downtown. Hat's off to Albany's leadership.

Russ 1 year, 7 months ago

Olive Garden's first casualty...

PatrickY2K 1 year, 7 months ago

Hardly. They shot themselves in the foot with poor service...very slow.

albanyherald1 1 year, 7 months ago

I patronized that business alot in the beginning, but about 4 months ago when I went in, they had changed things drastically. They took away the lunch buffet because they said they were tired of seeing wasted food people got off the buffet then didnt eat. They said parents would let their children get too much off the bar and then not eat it all. That just comes with the territory of having a buffet. Then the changed their bread for their subs. It was horrible (something about buying the wrong kind of flour but using it anyway!) Their subs used to be full of deli meat, cheese, veggies and italian dressing. The last time I ate their I had 3 slices of meat (and I could tell it wasnt deli meat. It was lunchmeat from a grocery store), very little veggies, etc. I was so disappointed because I really rooted for them. You cant sacrifice the quality food you started with just to save a buck.

Engineer 1 year, 7 months ago

Same thing for me. When they got rid of the lunch buffet (I mostly went for pasta), I took my business elsewhere.

j1984 1 year, 7 months ago

Sad to see them go, I ate there a few times, always had a great experience, and the food was always great.

waltspecht 1 year, 7 months ago

A restaurant isn't a child care facility, even if they are related to the owner.

albanyherald1 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree about the children! And as far as their customer service goes, Vinnies daughter was always very attentive, but the rest of the wait staff up there could barely muster a smile.