Squawk of the day - Sept. 19, 2012

"Monday through Friday on Oglethorpe, I see people speeding in a 25 mph school zone when children get out of school? What’s even worse is seeing a law enforcement officer doing the same thing."

Comments

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Guess he figures if they can do it, he can do it too.

tocar 2 years, 1 month ago

People drive too fast here in Albany period let alone observing the school zones. Dawson Road, Old Dawson Road and Westover Blvd. are like interstates.

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

Tocar is right. Speeding is a problem. Cops are offenders commonly. Our neighborhood is no longer a safe place for families, seniors or kids to walk or play. Four way stops and speed bumps should be used to control traffic.

nofreeloader 2 years, 1 month ago

School zones are the worst, you should hear the horror stories of the cars that drive right past a school bus with stop lights flashing an the stop arm out. People have no regard for the law.

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

In Dade County a Trooper stopped and ticketed a local Cop for speeding in a marked car. He was rushing to his second job, and it cost him his first. As small as APD's Internal Affairs is, they should bust one or two of these Uniformed speeders and force the rest in line. Especially if it is the same one from last year that was dropping their kids off at school and then speeding away in a marked car. Really simple folks, write down the unit number and time. That will tell IA who it is and if they are on duty.

guardian 2 years, 1 month ago

Walt, You can't complain directly to IA because they can only investigate incidents that are assigned to them by the Chief. You can complain to the officer's supervisor or call the Chief's office.

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

Or you could copy the Herald and WALB on the complaint. Then, there are a whole bunch of Video capable cell phones out there also. I figure it would go to the Chief first, but he wouldn't have much choice if the same information were supplied the Media.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 1 month ago

On the flip side of this coin are children who won't cross at the crossing guard but dart out into traffic. East Oglethorpe is especially scary for this since it is so wide. Between the speeders and the darters, it is a wonder more kids are struck by vehicles.

ontario1966 2 years, 1 month ago

I was coming into work this morning, and I saw two APD Cars sitting next to McDonalds talking on Oglethorpe, and cars speeding like crazy past them? I am so thankful the police are keeping a close eye out! Lmao!! That's APD for you.

RedEric 2 years, 1 month ago

When you see the school zone and slow down, you are in danger of a rear end collision by someone on his/her cell phone. They just don't have the mental capacity to talk, drive, pay attention to traffic, and speed zones. And neither do the citizens.

alleebrin 2 years, 1 month ago

Ever head: If you hit someone from the rear you've bought yourself a vehicle?

agonized 2 years, 1 month ago

Only if the person who strikes you has insurance, which they often don't in this town.

jglass 2 years, 1 month ago

When I enter the school zones, I get in the left lane on purpose. And if cars pass me going fast a blow the horn!!!! And, yes the police in this area do SPEED ALL the time!!! And, when I can get one of their car numbers when they are doing wrong, I call and report them for what it is worth.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

So do you use the left lane on the interstate and have people pass you on the right?

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Jglass i hope you are talking about a four lane road and not a two lane.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

Ha ha ha, I didn't even think about that. I literally just laughed out loud while reading that.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Wasn't it the police that was talking tough before school started talking about these laws would be enforced?

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

But you try it and they will catch you. I have heard the fines are double in school zones.

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

Speaking of Columbus, I was riding down Victory Dr. last year and came upon a school zone. I slammed on brakes to slow down and a car went around me flying. Three COPS who were all behind me took off after him. This should be a good role model for Albany and enough tickets folks will obey the law.

ontario1966 2 years, 1 month ago

I am going to to start video everything I see when I comes to drivers and mostly law enforcement when I see them do wrong in the schools zone, and I will send it right to WALB! To heck with the idiot chief.

ontario1966 2 years, 1 month ago

I did call in one day, and spoke to a so called leutinate in charge about an officer not doing his job? This idiot tried to bully me thinking I was going to back down, and it did not work? I told him, he needs to watch his officers and they also have to follow the law! If your in the right 100% and you can prove it like I did, don't let them think they are above the law? But APD officers are nothing but below dirt. WALB get ready for some great video of any law enforcement messing up!

LoneCycler 2 years, 1 month ago

This afternoon there was an APD radar unit sitting in the driveway of DQ on Oglethorpe watching the school zone. Who says squawking doesn't accomplish anything?

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe DQ gives the "Krispy Kreme" discount to cops, and he was taking advantage.

ontario1966 2 years, 1 month ago

I saw it too!! Now that was funny! They actually did something for a change, thank you Squak Box!!