Murfree nominated for GSSA Superintendent of Year

Joshua Murfree

Joshua Murfree

ALBANY, Ga. — Dougherty County School Superintendent Joshua Murfree has been named as one of 27 nominees state-wide for the Georgia School Superintendent’s Association 2013 Superintendent of the Year Award.

Murfree, who was notified by letter last week of his nomination, was not selected as one of four finalists.

The Albany Herald has confirmed that Murfree’s name was placed into nomination by Dougherty Assistant Superintendent Kenneth Goseer.

GSSA Executive Director Herb Garrett said Monday that the association sends nominating letter to the state’s school superintendents, assistant supers and school board chairs each year.

“We usually get between 27 and 32 nominations per year,” Garrett said. “They go into a pile and we have a panel of former winners select finalists.”

In letter from the GSSA to Murfree informing him of his nomination, Deputy Executive Director John Zauner wrote:

“I add my own congratulations to you for doing the kind of hard work for children that merits the submission of your name for consideration of such a prestigious award. While it is an honor to be named as a finalist for this prestigious award, I consider it high praise to be nominated.”

Superintendents Chris Erwin of Banks County schools, Thomas Lockamy of Savannah-Chatham County schools, Will Shofield of Hall County and Michelle Taylor of Calhoun city schools were the final four according to the GSSA.

Each of the finalists will now complete the AASA Superintendent of the Year application, and the judges will choose Georgia’s 2013 Superintendent of the Year after a review of that document. The winner’s name will be announced at the Nov. 30 Awards Luncheon during the GSSA/GSBA Winter Conference at the Waverly Hotel in Cobb County.

Comments

B4it 1 year, 7 months ago

Please include in the article who would have nominated this clown. Murfree should be fired, and not nominated for any positive recognition. Someone has definitely lowered their standards of achievement for even considering this recommendation.

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

Please tell me this is a misprint. You have got to be kidding, but then again what else would you expect? #34 superintendent of the year, what a joke. This is so funny I forgot to laugh.

Cartman 1 year, 7 months ago

You can't write funnier comedy than this. No really. Where's the camera? Is this Candid Camera? Who put this story on my computer? C'mon guys - for real cut it out.

Bulldawg 1 year, 7 months ago

This is just about as dumb as a bag of hammers. I would hate to know that qualifications of the other 26 nominees. I wonder what counties the other nominees are in?

waltspecht 1 year, 7 months ago

It probably is an open nomination. Meaning anyone can submit his name. Wonder who owed him the favor?

PatrickY2K 1 year, 7 months ago

It's awarded by the Greater Second Mount Olive Baptist Church in Albany, Georgia, Reverend Lorenzo L. Heard, pastor.

I can't wait to hear the list of accomplishments that warrants being a finalist for this award.

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

I thought maybe BVR or BSR might have nominated him. They are dumb enough to do so.

bubbavet 1 year, 7 months ago

This has got to be a cruel April Fool joke.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 7 months ago

I'd love to know who nominated him! I bet he wasnt even considered as a finalist. However, I'm sure he will attend the luncheon at the Waverly Hotel in Atlanta... on our dime!

TheMember 1 year, 7 months ago

his assistant nominated him.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 7 months ago

Yep, they updated the story with that info just for me an hour after i posted. :)

ilovealbany 1 year, 7 months ago

You've got to be effing me...lol

MRKIA 1 year, 7 months ago

I WONDER WHO WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO NOMINATE THIS PUFFED UP PHONY? NOW HE CAN ADD TO HIS RESUME THAT HE WAS NOMINATED FOR SOTY THAT HE HAD ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE OF WINNING. THE QUALIFICATIONS MUST BE VERY LOW. OLD #34 HAS MOVED UP TO #27 OUT OF 27. REALLY A STEP DOWN. MURFREE IS THE WORST IN THIS STATE.

lynn227 1 year, 7 months ago

jglass 1 year, 7 months ago

PatrickY2K, love it!!! I cannot imagine how he was nominated. Maybe he nominated himself and wrote someone elses name down so he would hopefully get in the pot....................... Yep, this is better then reading the comics!!!!!

lynn227 1 year, 7 months ago

For those who can't or won't read, "The Herald has confirmed that Murfree's name was placed into nomination by Dougherty Assistant Superintendent Kenneth Goseer."

seunder 1 year, 7 months ago

Doesn't say much for Kenneth Goseer!!Totally crazy!!No Really!!!About as crazy as Velvet Riggins not guilty!!She will always be known as a thief!!

tywebb 1 year, 7 months ago

relax lynn, it's only been updated with that info recently. the original story didn't have that

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 7 months ago

You CANNOT make this stuff up! Wow!

terihdfxr1 1 year, 7 months ago

This has got to be a joke. Well again the whole GA school system is a joke might as well have the biggest one of them all as the lead Joker.

waltspecht 1 year, 7 months ago

That would be the same guy that used Public Funds to pay bail back to a Parent, and subsequently admitted to using funds to replace stolen instruments for students parents? Why the heck is he still employed?

PatrickY2K 1 year, 7 months ago

He's also the same guy that took the basketball responsibilities away from the Athletic Director and forgot to sanction the Christmas tournament with the GHSA. Each school that participated was fined a few hundred dollars for participating in a non-sanctioned tournament.

Murfree probably asked Goseer to nominate him, so his resume will look a little better when he's job searching next summer. His three years in the DCSS are almost up!

bigbob 1 year, 7 months ago

Hey Walt maybe thats why he is still employed, this clown Gooser agreed to nominate him if he could keep his job. DCSS has got to be the laughing stock of GA school system.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 7 months ago

ROFLMAO Please tell me they will print this story in the Funny Page section. But hey look at the Bright side he moved up from 34th to 27th....(BUT ONLT because there was NO ONE below him.)

albanyherald1 1 year, 7 months ago

I give up! We, those of us without our rose-colored glasses, should just hand it all over to these idiots at the DCSS and let them implode from within. Most of us have moved over to a different county or chosed private schools already. Let them keep patting themselves on the back and stroking each others egos on what a good job they are all doing for the children. But you reap what you sow and bad seeds grow bad crops. Keep your crop in your county when that time comes. Don't think you can then spread out and ruin the surrounding areas with your under-educated, cheating, lying, conniving off-spring, since that is the examples being set for all of them, bless their little hearts!

VietVet1 1 year, 7 months ago

LMAO - that's Albany for you.

tywebb 1 year, 7 months ago

I keep saying that nothing that happens with the dcss or dcboe surprises me, it only disappoints me......well, I STAND CORRECTED. I am in total shock and disbelief! And that picture.....looks like something on his upper lip is stank!!!!

Momof3 1 year, 7 months ago

Sweet baby Jesus.. are you kidding me?!?!?!? They obviously have not been keeping up with the latest and greatest events of the DCSS ..... : I

Citizen_A 1 year, 7 months ago

I wonder if any superintendent can get nominated, but have to pass the panel to get any further...which probably tells us that the panel got a good chuckle also....

Jacob 1 year, 7 months ago

In other news, Casey Anthony nominated for Mother of the Year, and Carlton Fletcher touted for Best Logic- Based OP/ED Writer of the Month.......

albanyherald1 1 year, 7 months ago

Bahahahaha! Now THAT is funny! Thanks, Jacob. You made my day!

Citizen_A 1 year, 7 months ago

I can't stop shaking my head and laughing... I'd be really ticked if I was the other nominees. It makes them look bad!

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 7 months ago

au contraire! A rose (any rose) looks so much better than a cow patty. Thanks Terry I know you are just doing your job but this is such a GREAT funny to start off the work week for a taxpayer burdened to pay for DCSS. This is the BEST laugh I have had in years.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 7 months ago

You are s* me, right? I checked my calendar to see if it was April Fool's Day because this is a GREAT joke

TheMember 1 year, 7 months ago

This is about as crazy as Obama winning the Nobel peace prize. I am not sure what this world is coming to, but I think we are doomed.

whattheheck 1 year, 7 months ago

I am underwhelmed to say the least. Bet those opening the nominations had a good laugh with this one. Rodney Dangerfield got a lot more respect than this guy.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 7 months ago

What for? Bailing out criminal students with tax payer money? Yeah, that makes him tops in my book.

FryarTuk 1 year, 7 months ago

He was #34 out of 27. Nominated by Velveeta, June Booger, Bushwacker and Saba the Hut.

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

This really should be no surprise. We are talking about Albany, Ga. Right? Nothing from Albany surprises me anymore.

doingwhatisright 1 year, 7 months ago

Haaaaha! Dumber nominates dumb! that is freaking funny! What's next?

TheMember 1 year, 7 months ago

I had to come back and check the story to make sure I was not in a daze. I still think this is a bad joke, I am going to snopes.com to make sure ya'll are not lying to me about this.

saveourcity 1 year, 7 months ago

so when he doesn't win, will he scream racism and file a lawsuit? Velvet can be his lawyer....

daisymae 1 year, 7 months ago

I have laughed all day at this story !!! This is a hoot !!! His only achievement, getting his buddies out of trouble, putting cheating teachers and principles back in schools. This is just too much.

hope4albany 1 year, 7 months ago

I have hope for Albany and the DCSS. I also have an idea. What if we have all of those who commented on this story if they are not already volunteers with the DCSS or Communities in Schools, sign up to become volunteers.

Just hoping for Albany,

tywebb 1 year, 7 months ago

Thanks to Albany, Georgia......I am really starting to hope that the Mayans were right!!!!!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

I know dass rite, Ty.........HaHaHaHaHa!! !! !! !!

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 7 months ago

Seriously we should be concerned anyone in their right mind, let alone someone that works for DCSS is so complacent with mediocrity that they actually thought it was a good idea to submit #34 as a candidate let alone that he had a snowball’s chance in placing near the top. Just More Proof DCSS Management is totaly INEPT!!!!!!!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

You thought Goseer was competent or in his right mine? Pucker up, Goseer! HaHaHaHaHa !! !! !! !! Ha Ha Ha Ha !! !! !! !!

agirl_25 1 year, 7 months ago

I POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG PLACE.......REPOSTING HERE....DUH IS ME......

Hi folks..am back for a few days and will go back to the hospital tomorrow but wanted to toss in my 2 cents worth about Murfree and then will be done with him. I wrote to the Georgia Department of Education Professional Standards Commission concerning his certification. I wrote to the State Superintendent and got a nice prompt reply from the Manager of Ask/DOE. She told me that the Georgia Professional Standards Commission's (PSC) website has a link where you can check credentials and I told her I was not interested in that. I told her I had already checked at Howard University and had come up empty handed and there was no record on the Alumni page of a listing for a Joshua Murfree as having obtained a PhD from there. She then told me that as a parent I may consider communicating with my local school board members to express my concerns and determine if they have information they could share with me regarding Murfree's education. I told her I did not have children in the school system, that I was a concerned citizen, that I was a taxpayer and concerned that my tax dollars were being used to possibly pay the salary of someone who had lied on a job application and was being paid a salary he was not entitled to. She then said......."please know that school personnel issues are under the jurisdiction and authority of local school boards and I wish you all the best with this endeavor." Has anyone ever thought to approach the school board or the school board attorney and ask, or demand proof Murfree show he is in fact a PhD......if he isn't he sure is being overpaid for a job poorly done and should be grounds for dismissal. His lying on his job application should be considered grounds for immediate dismissal in my opinion. He should have to pay back all monies overpaid him too, if it is proven he had given false information on his job application. There was also an Editorial Opinion on WALB about the same thing...about lying on job applications..and it seems to me as if the man was directing it to Mupfree...it was on the WALB.com.....not on the TV station....a good piece too. Is it so difficult to show a certification for his PhD? You can bet if I had a child in the DCSS I would be at the next meeting with legal counsel asking for documentation. If you continue to let them get away with this they will keep doing it until the place is nothing but a hell hole. Do not let it happen. Fight fight fight. The pen...in this case the PC keyboard...is mightier than the sword..just don't stop writing to people....don't ever stop....keep it up..someone will eventually respond to you..it is all in how you word what you say to them......OK that is it....now I am done...not another word....oh, and by the way.I also heard from Bishop's office...my grant is on the way too....bye now..

FryarTuk 1 year, 7 months ago

Welcome back. We've missed you. I hope all goes well with your hospital visit.

tywebb 1 year, 7 months ago

ditto what fryar said. welcome back and best wishes

YDoICare 1 year, 7 months ago

agirl_25, best on your hospital visit. I do not know if this is the same Joshua Murfree, and I cannot comment as to the contents or quality as I have not read anything from the manuscript, but there is a PhD thesis from 1987 at Howard entitled "The use of behavior therapy to decrease self-injurious behavior in severely mentally retarded individuals" attributed to Joshua W. Murfree. You may be able to obtain a copy at your local library through interlibrary loan or more information from a library database such as Dissertation Abstracts. The University of Michigan also microfilms dissertations for a large number of universities and may have an electronic abstract online. Here is a link to the Howard University listing on the WorldCat database: http://howardu.worldcat.org/title/use-of-behavior-therapy-to-decrease-self-injurious-behavior-in-severely-mentally-retarded-individuals/oclc/28960539&referer=brief_results

Again, best on your hospital visit.

chinaberry25 1 year, 7 months ago

Don't laugh, one got elected president.

chinaberry25 1 year, 7 months ago

april_25, substitute teachers have to have the college to send a copy of their college transcripts as well as high school grades. He should have had to do the same thing. The state DOE should have a copy of it also. They are giving you the run around. Gets the monkey off their backs. As far as ASU goes, I have stated before, they are getting a bad rap. A lot of these teachers got their credits online. They got an undergraduate degree at a reputable college and all the others online. This is a joke! that costs taypayers big bucks.

tocar 1 year, 7 months ago

This clown would only be nominated for GSSA Superintendant of the Year if another clown nominated him. This is a joke.

chinaberry25 1 year, 7 months ago

agirl, I found this quote about the closing of the archives in Atlanta and it was printed in the Atlanta Constitution and could apply here:

“The cornerstone of democracy is the ability of citizens to know what their government is doing,” Georgia Historical Society President Todd Groce said Friday. “You can’t completely restrict and shut down access.”

It could also mean taxpayers should not be shut out to the very ones who they pay to do a job.

DoctorDorite 1 year, 7 months ago

I wonder sometimes if the Albany Herald is not a major factor with Albanys decaying just by printing junk like this, it may be news but certainly not news worthy. As stated 27 nominees are mailed in and all 27 are then dumped on a table then all are "honored", give me a break. LOL

FryarTuk 1 year, 7 months ago

I wouldn't elevate the act of nominating #34 for the honor above junk. However, I strongly disagree that AH shouldn't publish it. The newspaper would be irresponsible if they did not. As as far as their being a major contributor to Albany's decay, let's not shoot the messenger.

DoctorDorite 1 year, 7 months ago

I'll disagree with you on this,I know personally 3 fairly large companies that was relocating to South Ga. and would have employeed hundreds, after staying in Albany checking out sites for a few days, reading the paper and watching the local T.V stations news they ALL said "no way" could Albany be in their plans for growth, then proceeded to locate to Tifton and Thomasville. Many times the media does more harm than good, these reports are prime examples of why Albany is regressing while others are not. The world does'nt depend on Albany, Ga., Albany depends on the world.

Jacob 1 year, 7 months ago

So rather than point out the problems that exist so they can be addressed, your position is that the media should hide the problems and be complicit in the corruption and incompetence?

bigbob 1 year, 7 months ago

I was told the same thing happened when management came to Albany to see about doing a big addition at Miller, heard they stayed a few days & after watching the news & checking area sad no thanks. Must be why their management thier obviously smart enough to stay away from this city.

Citizen_A 1 year, 7 months ago

So we should sweep the dirt under the rug, and fool companies into coming to Albany? We have had industry here, then move out. I am sure the unqualified workforce had a part in industries passing on Albany. Where you have unqualified workforce, other symptoms are to follow. As my husband says, sometimes the truth hurts.

bubbavet 1 year, 7 months ago

It is right up there with playing any sport and not keeping score, so you won't hurt anyone's "Self Esteem". Everyone is a winner.

beenhereawhile 1 year, 7 months ago

And in a related matter, Mr. Goseer was nominated for the "Assistant Superintendent of the Year Award" by Dr. Murfree!

What a joke.

The Herald NEEDS to publish this so that the public is aware of what is going on.

I would suspect that others in this region were nominated also, but maybe they deserved it and it wasn't such a joke!

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 7 months ago

@ Dr DO 1st..... “Many times the media does more harm than good, these reports are prime examples of why Albany is regressing”. Hide your head up your hmmmm but you missed a VERY IMPORTANT point The media REPORTS they do NOT make this crap up, your problem should be with the people who are the STARS of these REPORTS..... 2nd... Just how naïve do you think Major Corporations are? Before investing MILLONS they do much more than visit for a few days reading newspapers and watching the news. Viewing the local news is just the tip of the iceberg not the end all investigation. So if you have an issue direct it to the people stacking the manure and not the ones who tell you how high the manure is stacked.

TheBoss 1 year, 7 months ago

Goseer is a very hard working assistant Superintendent, He was able to get his wife a job at DCSS as a media specialist with no experience at all. Way to go DCSS!

doingwhatisright 1 year, 7 months ago

SACS came and went..and then we heard Murfee and Goseer nominated each other and the halls roared with laughter!

LikeItIs 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh my, surely the Herald is not picking up rejected theonion.com stories...