ALBANY, Ga. -- Officials are continuing to investigate how a 20-month-old girl was able to ingest a fatal overdose of drugs early Sunday.
Various agencies were on the scene of 1308 Hobson St., the site of Sunchase Apartments, before 2 a.m. Sunday after the child, identified as Seanielle Washington, went into cardiac arrest, officials said. The case was turned over to the Dougherty District Attorney Child Death Team.
The team responds to any report of a juvenile death to determine the circumstances surrounding the fatality.
Dougherty District Attorney Greg Edwards said Monday that authorities were still investigating which drugs Seanielle had ingested and how much she had ingested.
An autopsy was performed Monday. The forensic analysis was expected to include toxicology tests of her blood and urine.
When the results on those tests come back, officials are expecting to have more answers regarding what led to the child's death.
"We will then know how we want to proceed," Edwards said.
The date of birth for Seanielle provided by Edwards was January 2011.
The child's mother was the one who called for emergency assistance, Edwards said. Dougherty EMS responded along with the Albany Fire Department in reference to the cardiac arrest.
The Albany Police Department responded to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital, where the toddler was pronounced dead, reports show.