Squawk of the day - Sept. 30, 2012

"Chipper Jones was honored before Friday night’s game before his retirement. The Atlanta Braves are going to miss him, and so am I."

Comments

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

I stopped watching the Braves because he was one fine example of steroid usage. They are all cheaters and I do not waste my time on them. Take me back to the old ball gamers.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

If I was to not watch a team because they had a player that used drugs or steroids, I would not be watching any of the teams, and that goes for any sport.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

Chipper was an example of a steroid user? Please enlighten me with your knowledge of the subject. By the "old ball gamers" do you mean the ones that would beat their wives?

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Wow! Zero comments about something positive. If this had been a squawk about the president, Velvet Riggins, #34, The school board there would have been at least 25 comments in it already.

I agree with the squawker, Chipper will be missed. One of the greatest players and switch hitters of all time. It seemed like only yesterday he was a rookie and now his playing days is coming to a close. It was really nice to see opposing ballparks giving Chipper a standing ovation during a ceremony marking his last visit to their ballpark as a player. Thank you Chipper for playing your entire career as a Brave. Chipper has done something you don't see very often these days and that is playing his entire playing career with one organization.

1d2ec 2 years, 1 month ago

Some need it others don't.

Jimboob 2 years, 1 month ago

Mr. Jones is a class act and has been for many years. He will not easily be replaced.

nofreeloader 2 years, 1 month ago

It is nice to see a positive post about greatness Not all people follow sports an may not even know whom Chipper is .

alleebrin 2 years, 1 month ago

Love you, Chipper Jones! Will miss you fiercely!

Brother_Love 2 years, 1 month ago

I's bet if Chipper Jones was a black thug everybodies would knows who he is. Any you would be in here spewing your racist hatred. Yall need to get that racist venom from your souls.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

Do you really write and talk like that? I could barely understand what you were saying. So you think that if Chipper were named "Killer" and rather than a decent human being and great athlete, he was a thug and black that people wouldnt be loving and praising him? Let's look at the definition of "thug" shall we? A thug is defined as a violent person e.g. a criminal. I would say you are correct in assuming that we would not be praising a violent person or a criminal when he or she retired.

Congrats, Brother_Love, you are correct, but it has nothing to do with race.

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

Eisenhower once said something to the effect of; "If we valued our Soldiers as much as we value our Athletes our Country would be the better for it." It had to do with the pay cut Ted Williams had to take to fly in the Korean War. Remember, these folks just play a game, to make the fuss some do over them is an insult to any real Hero this Country has ever produced. Sorry, but that is the way I feel about these overpayed Jocks. Don't you realize you are paying their salary by the increased ticket and consession prices you now pay? They said they want their share because the owners were getting too much, but their share just got tacked onto the price the consumer pays, and the owner makes even more.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

It's called capitalism. The owners are putting a product out there for the public to purchase. If you don't like the product, then don't pay for it. The last time I checked if one didn't like a sports team then one could show his or her displeasure by simply not supporting that team financially. This is unlike our government where if one don't support the policies put into place by our leaders one still must give his or hers hard earned money to "support the greater good."

These players arent just playing a simple game. They are providing entertainment for billions of people. This entertainment is a relief from the crap that people like you inundate us with everyday. "Jounalists" and other members of the media who report only doom and gloom, and tell us how bad off we are. If there were two people on a raft and I could only save one, I would choose the athlete over the journalist every day of the week. It gets old hearing only the negative out of your mouth and the others like you. Velvet Riggins this - Obama that - #34 this- DCSS that. Walt, it gets old.

I support our soldiers in that they are putting their lives on the line, but they know the risks involved. Are there athletes who set bad examples for today's youth? Certainly. Are there plenty of others setting bad examples, too? You bet. The media labels many of these superstars as heroes when they are not, and I get that. They have mastered their craft and are getting paid a lot of money to do what they love.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Life isn't all about war, we like to have a little entertainment mixed up in it as well. Doesn't mean we don't honor those who fight in the wars to give us that freedom but damn it, if the entertainment is there I am going to watch it. Go Chipper.

hotdog 2 years, 1 month ago

Chipper.....first ballot hall of famer no doubt.....gonna miss u #10

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

I've watched the Braves since the TBS Superstation days. Ive seen Chipper go from a young superstar with almost unlimited potential, to one of the games greatest players. He isnt a perfect person, but whoever is can cast the first stone. I will miss seeing number 10 on third base, but I think we have some solid young talent to take over the reigns. Farewell, Chip!

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

Bible schooler says: "I support our soldiers in that they are putting their lives on the line, but they know the risks involved." YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT THESE MEN AND WOMEN GO THROUGH. A large percentage of soldiers families live below the poverty line. When they are injured they have to depend on charities to help them through. My cows produce flatulence smarter than your blather.

MisterEd 2 years, 1 month ago

Not that I disagree with what you said, but remind me again about who forces military service upon anyone in America. Tick tock tick tock. Exactly. Don't b*tch about a voluntary choice.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

Ding Ding Ding! Someone has reading comprehension skills necessary to make valid points in a discussion on albanyherald.com!

Thank you, MisterEd, that was my point.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

Did you even read my posting, or were you too busy artificially inseminating your cows? I said nothing to demean our soldiers overseas, retired, KIA or MIA. I have friends and family who are serving or have served in the past. My father was a Marine for many years, FRYARTUK. Perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension skills.

Things are different now than when you were a young whipper-snapper. People have choices. Some people choose the military route, and contrary to what you think, many don't choose the military simply to defend our country. Of all the people I personally know who joined, and would say that over half joined because they couldn't find a job and weren't smart enough to get into a 4 year school. They wanted to get an education, which I admire, and they chose to join the military for those reasons.

Your disdain for me attending private schooling is quite apparent. Be careful, your envy is showing. Now get back to your cows and leave the logic to us "civilized folk."