Squawk of the Day - April 2, 2013

"I know people are addicted to their cell phones, iPads, etc., but playing on one in church is too much. Shame on the parents for allowing it. The child was old enough to know better."

Squawks are submitted by the public and are not necessarily the opinions of The Albany Herald.

Comments

GeeGee 1 year ago

If you are in church you should have your attention on what the sermon is about. If a child is big enough to play games, they are big enough to receive the message. This is parental guidance. If she was allowed to do that, by your fruits you shall be known. The parents are too blame. Alot of it is that the parents are so out of touch with their kids that they cannot deal with them. Should have never had them to begin with.

B4it 1 year ago

Part of our issues in today's society are with the parents not taking time to teach their children proper behaviour, and not teaching them to have respect for others, or not setting a proper example for their children to follow. While in church it is rude and disrespectful to be playing on any device, or engaging in conversations, that may be distracting for others trying to worship.

It is also disrepectful to wear inappropriate clothes that are worn just to try to bring attention to ones self. Some forget the purpose of why they are in church in the first place.

daisymae 1 year ago

The kids are only following the example given by their parents. They come in my office with their phone stuck to the side of their head, talking about whatever and expect me to figure out what they want to do or whose account they want to pay. I have started sitting at my desk shuffling papers until they realize that I am not coming to the counter until they end their call.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year ago

Schools that have technology related courses need a chapter or two on tech-etiquette. Well, maybe etiquette in general would suffice.

DRTexas 1 year ago

Absolutely! Then they need to start teaching driver courtesy again in driver's ed. Like they did back in the day.

FryarTuk 1 year ago

The kid was probably taking notes on the excellent homily.

RedEric 1 year ago

In most churches half the people in there are playing one game or another.

USTPC 1 year ago

You are right about that. They show up for the hour service but do not pay attention, do not care what the pastor is saying and all they want is "credit" for being there so they can claim to be a Christian. Oh, and they start getting antsy when 12 PM rolls around and the pastor is still talking.

agirl_25 1 year ago

I agree with you both, RedEric and USTPC......they are in church for "credits". In case someone sees them on Monday morning they have made their appearance in church the day before so think they are fine church going Christians. Bull!! They probably could not tell the person what the sermon was about.

FryarTuk 1 year ago

Red, either I have not noticed or your sense of humor is growing on me. That is funny and poignant.

rock 1 year ago

I am baffled as to why a child, who is playing quietly on a device, is such a distraction. If you are focusing on paying attention to the word, then you should not be concerned about what someone else is doing or not doing. it seems you are not in church to pray, but to judge those around you. I prefer the quiet child to the one whose parents think t is permissable to let the child disrupt the entire service and then smile for the behaviour.

As far as dress goes, I have been to many churchs in this area that are nothing but Sunday fashion shows. Minks, jewelry to excess, new suits and plenty of condensating for those dress neatly but comfortable. I even stated one tiime " That God does not care what you wear to church, he cares you pray". The response I received was " God may not care, but we do, So do not come here if you are not in coat and tie and dress for your wife". Never set foot in there again.

USTPC 1 year ago

Wow...you seriously got that response from members of a church in this area? Whether you are in jeans and a t shirt or a 3 piece suit the purpose is to make a connection to God who is not concerned about what you wear on the outside but what you are on the inside.

I hope you have found a church that understands it is not how you dress it is how you act.

rock 1 year ago

Yep, Got that repsonse from SEVERAL churches in this area. ALL in Albany. I will not mention the names of the Churches, but they were considered the big three in town. I remember A man saying it was a sin to work on Sunday, then telling his family nis was going to take them to Ryans after Church, for fellowship. I asked why it wa n't a sin to take his family to a restaurant where people were working giving his views, and he said that is why they will go to hell, because they are working. I said if they weren't working you would have to go home and cook and he got kinds of mad, because I challenged his views.

agirl_25 1 year ago

I have friends tell me the same thing, rock, about the rules of coming to OUR church. Pity huh? They quit going altogether, said it was not worth their time to be around people like that. They felt they were ignorant wannabe Christians. The world is full of them. Sadly.......

tony66 1 year ago

There is no verse that mandates what to wear. There are a few that reveals Gods view. Although he created man naked, he made long garments for them. There are a few distinction rules in the Law (no longer binding on Christians) and the stipulation of modest and well arranged dress. What amazes me is that most will wear business attire to a job interview but figure God only deserves denims and sneakers. As to the kids playing, there are several verses that say we should come, young and old, to listen and learn. A child "playing quietly", a physical impossibility, is a distraction in any place of learning.

rock 1 year ago

Let's see. God brings us into this world naked. He wore a long hair robe, sandals and long hair. No suit, not tie everything simple. I think clean, jeans and sneakers are adequate based on just the synoptics. Its only man's dress code that infuriates man. God said I knew you before you born. Then he knows boots and jeans is all I am going to wear. So if I am going to hell over that, Then he is just Nit picking :):):):).

USTPC 1 year ago

Tony, the suit and tie at a job interview is a reflection on human desires not God. Based on your comment that people who wear jeans and sneakers are not respecting God then I can only assume that you feel that homeless people, people to poor to buy a suit, people who are struggling to put food on the table much less clothes on their backs should not go to church to connect with God because they can not afford your dress standards for attendance.

One of the reason so many turn from the church and God is because humans get involved and make up asinine rules that have no biblical basis and expect their members to adhere. They look down on those who don't and make snide comments about them. I know because I have attended churches like that.

A church that does not welcome people because they do not wear a suit or a dress to worship God is a church that needs to close their doors because they are making the church about them and not about God.

jglass 1 year ago

rock, It is kind of hard to focus on the sermon when a child is directly in front of you playing the hand held games. It is not like they keep them in their laps. They normally keep them up and in their face and normally they are not exactly quiet with them either. Yes, that is a distraction. Yes, it is the parent's responsibility to raise the child so they will act right in church. Most churches have children's church so once they are too old for children's church, they can sit still and listen for the hour or so during church.
rock, I do agree that God doesn't care what you wear, he cares about your HEART. Now, my saying is to the women.....just make sure that the 3 "B's" are covered. No, church is not to be made a fashion show. I believe there is talk about this in the bible!!!!

FryarTuk 1 year ago

Jeez, pat the kid on the head and tell him/her you're glad they are in church. For Chris sake. It's found a couple of places in the synoptics "let the kids come unto me, don't mess with them, they're pretty neat critters."

WTFwtf 1 year ago

What? No bible quotes to back up yer point? U guys can usually pull a quote out yer arse to justify anything.

RedEric 1 year ago

Here is a Bible quote for ya "idiots shouldn't speak out in public".

rock 1 year ago

" Most Churches have a childrens service, so once they are to old, they sit still and listen for an hour or so during church" Is this not exclusionary?? Teaching children that they are to be sequestered, because they are not OLD enough? How about the man that sits with his arms folded, eyes closed, sleeping? What about the people that get ready to leave 30 minutes into service and keep looking at their watch? What about those that show up late and leave early?

I thank the good Lord that my church allows the children in to services, that we dress casually and welcome one another as followers. That the doors are open all day long, 7 days a week. That a cryng baby brings a smile to most people and when I child gets antsy, some one in a pew, will play patty cake quiely with a child.

Church is a celebration. A celebration into the life, death and resurrection of our Lord. A celebration we should enjoy and be happy to be there, not some solemn service where it is a misery to be there, where fashion is more important the celebration, and where a few mandate what will be done in THIER church. Where homiies are nothing but, you will go to hell or god will punish you for anything. The very first miracle Jesus performed was at a Wedding (party) changing water into wine so people could enjoy the weddng feast. That tells me Jesus wants me to enjoy the sunday celebration of his life and let what happens be a joy and not distracting.

USTPC 1 year ago

I have a different view than you on children's church. I think at each age level a child relates differently to how something is communicated. I think children's church allows for communication about God to be more on par with their level of understanding. Asking a 3-4-5 or even a teenager to sit quietly and listen to the pastor present his message accomplishes nothing because the understanding level of a child is not equal to that of an adult. Thus the boredom, fidgeting, etc set in. I support children's church because I think they learn better and retain more as a result.

MRKIA 1 year ago

LETS NOT FORGET THE HUGE HAT COMPETITION POPULAR IN THE AME/ BAPTIST CHURCH CIRCLES.

jglass 1 year ago

Well, sounds to me like everyone gets distracted during church just by reading these comments. If you weren't distracted you would not notice what is going on!

MRKIA 1 year ago

LET'S SEE, SUNDAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK, SATURDAY IS THE SEVENTH DAY OF THE WEEK. WHO'S OBSERVING THE SABBATH AROUND HERE?

revolutionnow 1 year ago

Seventh Day Adventist and Jews. Disciples of Christ gather on the first day (Jesus' resurrection) to worship and observe The Lords Supper.