Squawk of the day - April 4, 2013

"Just read where an American soldier was playing ball with some children in Afghanistan and a teen ran up and stabbed the soldier from behind, killing him. The teen fled into Pakistan to avoid capture. When will Americans learn that we cant win their hearts and minds. They are seduced by the Koran and its medieval teachings."

Squawks are submitted by the public and are not necessarily the opinions of The Albany Herald.

Comments

agirl_25 1 year ago

I don't think it is a matter of we Americans not knowing we cannot win the hearts of the people in the war zones. I think it has become a matter of most of us being so sick of this war that cannot be won (reminds me of Vietnam) and have come to the point that we Americans are tired of the idiots we have voted into office continuing this horrible charade at the expense of so many American lives. I am at the point I would not care if the Congress said every GI there should come home tomorrow. I don't care if they all kill each other. I don't care about them, never did and never will.

Abytaxpayer 1 year ago

Amen 100% bring them home NOW.

VSU 1 year ago

I don't know why Obuma doesn't send them home now instead of waiting until 2014. Let them kill each other instead of killing our troops.

WTFwtf 1 year ago

As a point of history, jesus was born approx 1200 years before the medieval age. I assume yer christian? Are u saying that christians seduced by something 1200 older than the koran is somehow better? Big FAIL

WTFwtf 1 year ago

Didnt the republican war mastermind john mccain once say that we cant tell em when we're leavin bc that will give the enemy an advantage.

So technically we can never leave without hurting our cause? Or at least not let them see us leaving? How silly is that logic? And most of u bought what he was selling

Albanite 1 year ago

Factually, most people did not buy what McCain was selling. Most people bought what Obama was selling... leading us to the disaster we have today.

GeeGee 1 year ago

We should have never been over there to begin with. It was always a politician's war. But you do not see any politician's children over there. I have lived through the Vietnam war and now this one. Someone stated it is a non-incidental war. Look at the Soviet Union, they wasted big bucks over there. So have we, but most important are the lives lost. It is unwinable and the mindset of those crazy people are even worse. Afghanistan is one of the most primitive countries in the world. They are sitting of a load of oil is the only reason I can fathom anyone would want to be over there.

fcarroll 1 year ago

I can't believe anyone would put their faith in anything Obuma has to say. He would like nothing better that the US be without any type of military. The fewer military we have here to protect us, the more valunerable we will be when he picks the red phone up and says................................................. you figure the rest out.

bigbob 1 year ago

Obumma is one of them, when will you liberal fools figure that out. Hopefully before its to late.

VietVet1 1 year ago

Have we WON any wars since WWII? And YES I did spend two tours in Vietnam including Tet of '68

oldster 1 year ago

Good morning Vet, I also served from 68-72 but not in Nam. The big gripe I have is that since the Korean war we have adopted a strategy of limiting our military to a certain geographical area or some other limitation. This puts us at a big disadvantage. When we go to war our government should let the military do what it needs to do to defeat the enemy, and after procuring a surrender or complete defeat then send in the politicians. There is no one on this planet that we cannot defeat in a military conflict if it weren't for self imposed restrictive rules of engagement.

agirl_25 1 year ago

oldster....my husband read your comment and agreed with you 100%. He always felt the Vietnam War was fought by politicians in DC. He used to get so angry when he was in Nam, because they did not let the soldiers fight the war...those DC idiots thought they knew how to fight the it. Yes, you are correct, too many restrictive terms of engagement.

Bulldawg 1 year ago

Thank you for your service Viet Vet. My uncle was in Vietnam in '68 as well. Sounds like WTFwtf could learn a few things from you based on his or her comments.

agirl_25 1 year ago

Viet vet...my husband served so many tours in Nam I can't count them all. We were in the Philippines during Tet of '68, one of the bloodiest and worse times during the war. I remember the styrofoam caskets lining the tarmac, there was such a tremendous number of casualties. He was also in Saigon when we left the country. Re: the statement WTFwtf made, when we did leave Vietnam, as far as hurting our cause there, I think there were very few Americans who cared that we left the country or the manner in which we exited. As far as them seeing us leaving, I think the whole world remembers the choppers in Saigon and the chaos that ensued. I think after 58K+ deaths we were sick and tired of fighting a war for people who did not care.... so yeah, McCain was/is a dodo for making that statement and no, I did not, nor will I ever, buy into the rhetoric he or any other politican makes.

RedEric 1 year ago

If Muslims are not fighting someone, they fight each other. The Koran is a book of rules. You have to read it from front to back as later rules contradict earlier rules. Each man is a domestic despot. He has life or death power over the women and children in his household. It is a religion of hate and cruelty. We need to get out of there and if they attack us again we turn their country into a glass bowl.

USTPC 1 year ago

But Islam is a peaceful religion. Just ask them as they cut off someone's head in protest of being called a violent religion.

hotdog 1 year ago

Christians definitely don't fight each other do they?? Only the people who believe in the backwards medieval Koran do that...and I don't know about power over women and children...( quite extreme).... There are peaceful Muslims and violent Christian living amongst us as well....

Sister_Ruby 1 year ago

..........and idiots too right hotdog? I'm talking to one now!

trudy2 1 year ago

You must be speaking of yourself.

VSU 1 year ago

Well hotdog does make a valid point. It's not as if christians are immune to being violent. People are murdered and assaulted everyday. Just like there are non christians that don't commit violence. It's all in the individual.

Albanite 1 year ago

The difference is that violence is an integral part of the intitution of Islam and is rejected by the teachings of Christianity.

VSU 1 year ago

It might be rejected, but does not stop it from happening, but I understand what you are saying.

erock 1 year ago

We need to wake up and realize these folks ain't our friends. We didn't find Bin Laden in Afghanistan, we found him in Pakistan. That should have been a red flag right there. Then they raised all sorts of hell when we went in and got him. Pakistan is as much of a friend to us as North Korea. Muslims are anti-Christians, what is so hard to understand about that. They may not always show it, but you can bet your bottom dollar they are. You can't break a dog from sucking eggs, I'm sorry there's only one solution. Watch what happens when Israel attacks Iran. Israel realizes the gravity of the situation and if you want to hide in a bunker beneath a school, then so be it, that will become your tomb.

erudite 1 year ago

Wonder which god corrupted this white woman to rip off her friends and town mates?