Breaking News

Lewis-Polite wins DCSS Teacher of the Year April 17, 2014

Woman charged with defrauding business

Deborah Shirley

Deborah Shirley

ALBANY, Ga. — Deborah Shirley, 55, was arrested Thursday on 10 charges of theft against her former employer, Shutters Plus/Kitchens Design, according to Kim Baker, agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

According to Baker, Shirley was booked in the Dougherty County jail after being charged with six counts of financial transaction fraud, two counts of forgery in the first degree, one count of theft by deception and one count of deposit account fraud. Baker said the total amount taken from the the business was approximately $21,000.

The case was referred to the GBI on Jan. 31 by Dougherty County District Attorney Greg Edwards representatives with Shutters Plus/kitchen Design presented the allegations of theft.

Edwards said the referral was standard procedure when the accused is related to a high-ranking local law enforcement official. Shirley is the wife of Col. Mark Shirley with Dougherty County Sheriff’s Office.

“That’s always the best course of action in these situations,” Edwards said.

Comments

VietVet1 1 year ago

Slap on the wrist & time served? Why not post her picture?

MRKIA 1 year ago

YEP, POST THAT PICTURE. PREFERABLY THE ONE FROM BOOKING WITH THE NUMBERS BEHIND IT.

spookj6 1 year ago

This is the norm for some people of Albany but after this weekend, they will be showing many of Albany's Finest.

VSU 1 year ago

You sound like a broken record. Say the same pointless things every week. I guess you just copy and paste everytime so you don't have to work at retyping.

agirl_25 1 year ago

Yeah why not show her picture? You showed Phillip Phillips's mother when she was being accused of drunk driving. (Anyone know what the outcome was of that?) Tsk tsk on the Herald for not even saying how much she is alleged to have stolen. VietVet is right tho...she will most likely get a slap on the wrist.

VietVet1 1 year ago

... and it's hard to believe her husband didn't know a thing about it.

Bulldawg 1 year ago

They must not communicate very much apparently.

VSU 1 year ago

Maybe they are keeping that a secret, and to think her husband works for the DCSO. I guess she felt he didn't make enough to satisfy her.

agirl_25 1 year ago

Could be, but I am curious about the amount taken. She will most likely get a wrist slap and offer to pay restitution and that will end it. Heard of that before and since the person involved was a first time offender and it was not considered a violent crime he got off easy. But the guy's story had an unhappy ending. He stole money from a bank, and had to take out a second mortgage on his home to make restitution. He lost the home because he could not make the payments.

VSU 1 year ago

Looks like they displayed her picture to me, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.

agirl_25 1 year ago

Yes they did but it wasn't up there when the original story was posted, 4+ hours ago.

VSU 1 year ago

Oh Yeah, you are correct..... I think I do remember reading the story earlier with no picture.

Terry.Lewis 1 year ago

Mug shots often arrive later. That is the price we pay for instant news.

Sally_O 1 year ago

They need to post the picture when they post the story. We need to know what she looks like. Course unlike some of the repeat offenders that already have their picture on file, and since this is her first offense I guess they had to wait for the availibility of her mugshot. At least her hair is brushed neatly and not pointing in 12 different directions like some of the mugshots they have in here.

VSU 1 year ago

She's wearing lipstick and earrings too, but that doesn't make her innocent of her crime.

Terry.Lewis 1 year ago

As I posted above, we often have part of the story long before a mug shot is available. Even the internet has its limits. :)

FryarTuk 1 year ago

Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope! Don't pay any attention to 'em.

ZCorp 1 year ago

Very Sad & shocking. She looks like a nice lady next door ! Unreal

sowegap 1 year ago

That is what some said about Jeffery Dahmer and Ted Bundy, so looks don't mean a thing. I hope that she had extenuating circumstances that made her desperate enough to turn to stealing.

erudite 1 year ago

Love it! Here is a real criminal in this town!! She has cost this town more than any of the 'regulars'. The regulars are in your face--they don't hide behind anything.

This woman used her job-that many would do without stealing-to be underhanded, to be sneaky, sly, lie to your face and be all southern charm as she is stealing your money. Bet she's a leader in her church too.

These are the criminals I am afraid of; if a regular confronts me I know it. Her type, rob me blind without me even knowing it.

MRKIA 1 year ago

TRUER WORDS HAVE NEVER BEEN SPOKEN.

Jax 1 year ago

I see your point, but I'm still more afraid of someone breaking into my house in the middle of the night or holding me up at gunpoint.

VSU 1 year ago

Hey erudite, what about that woman who was a caregiver at that elderly womans house and used that elderly ladies ATM cards to withdraw cash and then tried to say the lady was bad about handling her bank account. Would you not say that caregiver was a real criminal? Would you not say she was stealing, being underhanded and sneaky, sly and lie to your face? What about that woman bank teller at Regions bank that was underhandedly stealing money from different accounts. Would you not say she was stealing, being underhanded and sneaky, sly and lie to your face? What about that woman at the income tax place that was underhandedly stealing tax return money from her customers. Would you not say she was stealing, being underhanded and sneaky, sly and lie to your face? All these women used their job to steal from innocent unknowing people.

This is pretty much the same as what you are talking about. Just different ways in how they did it. They all have one thing in common, they tried to do it quietly in hoping no one would catch on. But stealing is stealing whether they do it underhandedly or rob you face to face.

RedEric 1 year ago

She was just training for an elected position. The Democratic Party demands experience these days. You can't just get yourself elected, you have to have cred.

Amazed2 1 year ago

Probably a little more to the story than the news has information on. Remember being charged does not mean guilty in this country. Happens all the time. Lots of people get charged and lots of charges get reduced and in some cases dropped. That is what the legal business is all about. Charge them with the max and see what kind of plea we can get. It has been a tough business climate in Albany.

VietVet1 1 year ago

• Listen - - - is that a plea deal? Makes a family proud!

Amazed2 1 year ago

Unfortunately Vietvet1 the plea deals are just a big part of modern day prosecution. I am not defending anyone just making a point charges are brought in hopes of getting an easy plea deal. The prosecutor looks good and collects fines and restitution. Just the way it is. Goes on from the street level crimes to major white collar crimes.

GeeGee 1 year ago

She will pay the money back and never spend a night in jail. I bet her husband is embarrassed beyond belief. This happens more than you thing and most employers do not prosecute. It happened at a wholesale liquor company my mother worked all my childhood. Found the office manager stealing any cash he could get his hands own. Even after they fired him, he stole the football money bets that employees played everyweek as he was going out the door. Moved right on to a job at MCSS and kept his job as a deacon in the Methodist Church he attended.

VSU 1 year ago

You're right about that. This stuff goes on all the time all over the place. My sister worked at a place recently and said this employee at the store was constantly pocketing money that was to go to the cash register, and of course my sister was the one that lost her job. My nephew used to work at one of the pizza restaurants and a few employees got fired and arrested for stealing money. You have to know that money being stolen from companies is a common thing, so laugh at this story all you like, but it happens a lot. Some just haven't got caught yet.

agirl_25 1 year ago

There must be more to the story VSU...why did they fire your sister? My son, as a teenager, had a job in a store and one of the the managers was stealing money. The rumor got out that my son was the one suspected. I told him to mark some bills and then when they confronted him about the missing money he could pull a Perry Mason and ask her to show the contents of her wallet. BINGO....she confessed and apologized to him. Very small town so everyone knew the story. I had remembered a con in a movie once about marked bills in the register.

VSU 1 year ago

Well from what I know, she only worked there a week, the other girl claimed my sister was being rude, but she can barely hear in one ear and she had to keep asking questions, and sometimes she sounds like she is arguing but she is not. He let her go because he didn't think it would work out. Anyway that manager can be stuck with that employee stealing money from him, because he is too dumb to know otherwise. She started to call the manager up to tell him, but i told her not to. "Piss on him, the jerk, let him deal with it, it's not your concern. He wants to take her word over yours, piss on him"

agirl_25 1 year ago

Good for you...I would have probably said the same thing you said to her....the owner deserves to have crummy employees if he feels that way. As far as the hard of hearing goes, my husband has hearing loss from spending 20 in and around jets (retired AF) and he can't hear well. Most people think he is arrogant and stuffy but he can't hear them well and they think he is ignoring them. He can't hear certain frequencies. Anyway, it works out wonderful for us because we seldom get invited to those fancy functions (wonderful!!!!!) but of course love family affairs and they all know about his hearing loss.