Squawk of the day - April 5, 2013

"The answer to the airport tower problem is simple. Quit throwing good money after bad with churches who think they are real estate developers and use part of that money to fund and operate the tower. Problem solved."

Squawks are submitted by the public and are not necessarily the opinions of The Albany Herald.

Comments

alleebrin 1 year ago

Seems to me that maybe Albany doesn't need an air traffic controller. How many flights come in each day? Five? Six? To spend a bunch of money for a new terminal is foolish and a waste of taxpayers' money. Oh, but that's what Albany does best! (Slipped my mind there for a minute! lol)

Broken_to_bits 1 year ago

I think the key word is TRAFFIC, how much air traffic do you think the airport in Albany has?

fcarroll 1 year ago

The government does not throw money away on churches. The people inside the building are the church and they provide the money for the building. God provides the money for these building through the people. Be carful when you put down a house of God.

FryarTuk 1 year ago

I think the squawk refers to churches who are using taxpayers' money to attempt to develop the housing units. The churches are failing.

Unfortunately taxpayers do not have the money now to fund the Tower. Of course, Bobby Jr. Langstaff and his buddies Postell & Piker might want to get it out of the operations fund at WG&L when they take it over.

ustaknow 1 year ago

If churches want to build housing developments- they should do it without the help of the federal government.

I can not think of one successful housing development that was built by a church using federal dollars and that is debt free. But i can think of several loans ( development grants ) that have been forced on the tax payers backs because the churches mismanaged the funds and did not calculate the cost of development. The bible admonishes all to, at the very least ,calculate the cost of something before you build it.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year ago

I agree with the squawker on this one. With Albany having the second busiest cargo terminal in Georgia, the tower needs to stay open. It is time to stop the here take this money mentality and start using the funds for something else.

VietVet1 1 year ago

Listen up folks. Everything will be alright. After all, the govt you elected has deemed to close the tower. How's that for change?

Thurman 1 year ago

One of the key (IMO) issues here may be UPS and their two (2) flights daily ($+) into/out of the Albany terminal. IF UPS were to decide not to use the Albany airport based on a "non-maned" Allbany tower then we could also lose the UPS hub facility ($+) which the City put a ton of monies into, and the associated jobs ($+) for this hub facility. Albany's airport traffic can be controlled from the Jacksonville (Hilliard) FL. FAA control tower easily enough. Counting the private/corporate airplanes that use the Albany airport there are certainly more than five (5) or six (6) flights per day using the airport facilities ($+) and purchasing fuel from the local vendor ($+). There are also the military flights which utilize the Albany airport as a vector point for training purposes. Recently I had the fortunate opportunity to see a V-22 Osprey coming in a very low level to land at the Albany airport, quite a sight indeed. I challenge the airport manager to post here the amount (monthly average for last twelve (12) months) of traffic at the Allbany airport. The idea of the City of Albany taking over the operations of the control tower at the Albany airport does not seem to be a good idea to me IF you look at the way the City of Albany conducts it's own business. Contracting with a private company, and utilizing Certified Air Traffic Controller(s) to operate the tower would be a better idea IMO.

erock 1 year ago

The last thing we need is any officials in this town making decisions about what goes on at the airport. I don't want any "moneback" in this town directing anything flying over my head. Any goings on at the airport requires adult supervision.

MRKIA 1 year ago

WHAT IS A "MONEBACK"?

Abytaxpayer 1 year ago

How do you backup a Truck? Come on Back. or simply MonBack :-)

FryarTuk 1 year ago

It's an insulting term for people that work on garbage trucks. It is racial by origin and is part of a racist joke.

Abytaxpayer 1 year ago

Crap ...color me "dumb redneck" I grew up saying that when working on delivery trucks. Sorry I did not know it was just supposed to be a racist slur....I thought it was just a working man's slang.....and who says ignorance isn't bliss?

GeeGee 1 year ago

I have to agree with the person about these churches. If it were only the churches the tax exempt is fine for me, but the schools, film making, nurseries on and on. These are not ordained in the Bible and country to be tax free. It also applies to Phoebe and any other leach off of another function. This also includes Facebook. Real Estate also applies. God did not condone laziness and having out of wedlock babies which is were most of this property goes to. If the churches want to build out of their own coffers, fine, but do not force it onto taxpayers. I do not know why Albany continues to vote for the yoyos in offices. Make them dodos. No longer exist.

SweetPea 1 year ago

Wait -- Albany has an airport?? LOL

Albanite 1 year ago

For those who haven't figured this out yet, preachers are the single least-honest group in society. Law enforcement types are a close second, followed immediately by politicians, lawyers, hospital administrators and bankers.

agirl_25 1 year ago

Surprised at politicians being #3....I figured they would be in a tie vote with the preachers. Curious as to why you chose preachers as #1. If you are lumping them all into the same pile, I must say I don't know much about church preachers, since I do not practice any religion, but think the TV preachers should be put up against a wall and shot.

PS .....I like your list tho.