Squawk of the Day - April 8, 2013

"It's easy to see North Korea is basing its foreign policy on Agatha Christie's "The Mouse That Roared." They want a war they'll lose so they can get our money."

Squawks are submitted by the public and are not necessarily the opinions of The Albany Herald.

Comments

Broken_to_bits 1 year ago

Don't forget the current administrations ability to make rational or virtuous decisions on anything much less being bullied into a war for profit. If I had to guess I'd also say if we aren't giving them foreign aid outright then we are probably getting it to them under the table.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year ago

Hell, they don't have to start a war for that, just ask President Jackass, he will cut a social program, like Meals on Wheels that feed the elderly and give it to North Korea.

whattheheck 1 year ago

Most likely since JA will not fire on another Communist so let the extortion begin--again. From the Congressional Research Service:

"Between 1995 and 2008, the United States provided North Korea with over $1.3 billion in assistance: just over 50% for food aid and about 40% for energy assistance. Since early 2009, the United States has provided virtually no aid to North Korea."

fcarroll 1 year ago

FryarTuk 1 year ago

Damn, I miss all the good ones.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year ago

I can only imagine the wisdom that can forth from fcarroll that warranted removal by the staff.

1d2ec 1 year ago

If north Korea fires a missile and the US attempts to shoot it down then China and Russia will have the answer they want about our missile defense. HA HA We were suckered.

Nous_Defions 1 year ago

Wow, That thought never entered my mind, but I believe you are correct!!

Terry.Lewis 1 year ago

Yeah, the answer will be "By Stalin's mustache, it works!!!"

FryarTuk 1 year ago

You haven't been paying attention to how effectively the American defense system is working in the Mideast.

karmstrong 1 year ago

"The Mouse That Roared" was written by Leonard Wibberley, not Agatha Christie. FYI.

RedEric 1 year ago

Starring Peter Sellers in the movie. Fatty Kim is just establishing his bonafides to his people. He has to go to extremes because he is so young. We know as much about his backgrounds as we did of Obamas. Both dear leaders are " Puttin on the Ritz!!!"

Cartman 1 year ago

I recall reading it as a child in the 60's. I liked it so much that I bought the sequel as well. The Mouse on the Moon.

Jimboob 1 year ago

Oh Boy! Back to normal...

oldster 1 year ago

Remember what Obama said four years ago. "In the past America has been dismissive, derisive and even divisive.". It is a statement he made that is so vague it could mean ANYTHING. It seems our foreign policy has been considerable weaker than in the past.

GeeGee 1 year ago

They know we have a weak president. This would have never happened under Bush and Reagan.

FryarTuk 1 year ago

Among his many faults Obi Wan is not a militarily weak president and he has shown repeatedly he will go after the jugular in a very deft way. As for Bush, I hope you are talking about Pappy because W was an insult to the American presidency. Among his many great attributes Reagan was not a fighter except in Granada when he attacked the mental hospital and medical school. It was a hard fought battle but they got their medical school back.

DoctorDorite 1 year ago

You must have forgotten Reagan stuck a missle in Omar Kadafis' bedroom/tent window, which shut him up for @ 20 yrs and that got all theTin-Horn dictators of the world attention (big time).

FryarTuk 1 year ago

Oh, I do recall some activity that frightened Col. Muammar Kaddafi into carrying out the Lockerbie Bombing killing 243 passengers on a Pan Am Flight and continuing to thumb his nose at the civilized world. I remember President Reagan stationing hundreds of Marines in Lebanon only to have 250 killed in a single barracks bombing and then ordering them to haul ass. Never to seek retribution. I remember Reagan exchanging Bibles and guns to Iran for fake hostages. Did someone say Iran Contra and Ollie North? As I say Reagan, did very good things for the country and world but his military accomplishments weren't admirable.

agirl_25 1 year ago

I am odd I guess, for I don't worry about what Fatboy Kim is doing. I think he is just a little fool trying to be the bully on the playground and I think he knows that we have over 500 ICBM Minuteman missiles that have the capability of traveling over 6000 miles (5220 nautical miles). I think it is just a game to him. I am sure his advisors are not so stupid as to think they can continue to bully us this way. The missile is accurate, quick reacting and an excellent component to our nuclear Triad. I think will reduce the likelihood of any country expending resources to preemptively attack the US....and again, I think Fatboy knows this. As I said, I don't worry. I am sure Fatboy knows the range of the Minuteman from Wyoming or Montana...am sure his advisors have told him. I can't see the US launching a Minuteman but I am glad to know we have 500 of them.

RedEric 1 year ago

Yes he is " trying to act like the bully" and he is not. He is trying to get street cred with his people, but what if he launches his test missiles and crosses the DMZ at the same time. We kick his ass and we look like the bully in the world press. It is a tight situation for a former neighborhood organizer.

FryarTuk 1 year ago

"We kick his ass and we look like the bully in the world press. It is a tight situation for a former neighborhood organizer." I here what you are saying and you make a good point. I am glad Red China is attempting to saw the little turd's horns off. The good thing Obi Wan has done is use his excellent military & diplomatic leaders. But when the guy has had a chance to pull the trigger for an attack or a drone he has done it with dispassionate ease. You can bet the little dob of excrement is checking the international news editions.