ADICA delays bid on Albany Theatre improvements

ALBANY, Ga. -- The Albany-Dougherty Inner City Authority board held off on voting to approve Kinney Construction Co.'s low bid of $607,777 to stabilize and renovate the downstairs portion of the historic Albany Theatre on North Jackson Street, deciding instead to wait until requested information was provided before taking the vote.

City Attorney Nathan Davis noticed that a bid bond was not included in a copy of Kinney's documents, indicating the absence of an adequate bond would nullify Kinney's bid.

"This entire process was overseen by the city's Procurement department," ADICA President Aaron Blair said. "They assured me both bids were in order."

The second bid was presented by LRA Constructors.

Board member Tommy Gregors had offered a motion accepting Kinney's bid, contingent upon Davis making sure documentation was in order, but when several board members said they had particular questions they wanted answered about the bid, the board decided it would vote on awarding the bid at a called meeting before a May 14 deadline that would render both bids meaningless.

Blair also said the Yielding & Wakeford architectural firm had submitted a bid of $29,700 for construction management of the project, but Blair said since he would be able to keep a close eye on the project himself, he planned to negotiate seeking a price of "not more than $25,000."

"This being a historic structure, there will be some unknowns that will crop up where (Yielding & Wakeford's) expertise is needed," Blair said. "But I plan to be more hands-on with this project."

The ADICA board also approved a rental application form for the Art Park on Pine Avenue that would require a $250 rental fee during daytime hours and a $500 fee at night. The agreement also includes a $500 deposit.

"The agreement is much like the one we have at the (Veterans Park) amphitheater," Blair said. "I tried to word it so it's clear we're not in direct competition with downtown businesses like the State Theatre."

Asked to help sponsor a downtown event by a local civic club, the ADICA board first discussed not sponsoring that particular event and eventually voted not to get involved in sponsorships of any downtown events.

"I'm in the Sertoma Club (which is hosting a downtown 'Celebrate Sound' walk), but I don't think (event sponsorships) is what ADICA is all about," board member David Prisant said.

Moments later board member B.J. Fletcher offered a motion that would preclude ADICA sponsorship of any event.

The board also approved With Perfection's low bid of $2,931.50 for streetscape improvements along Front Street that will include the planting of eight crepe myrtle trees, and tabled a proposal to supply basic electricity in the Art Park until Gregors and Blair had an opportunity to make sure the proposed work was adequate.

B&B Electric had the low bid ($2,727) for the project, which will be brought before the board at its next meeting.

Comments

Nonsporting 1 year, 8 months ago

Pretty sure y'all meant the historic ALBANY Theater, not State. Wondering who checks these things. Perhaps the actual owner of the State Theater would be interested in having improvements made, not sure.

whattheheck 1 year, 8 months ago

"It can't be wrong, When it feels so right." Debby Boone

Seems to be confusion lasting more than a moment. Or, perhaps one man's Albany Theater is another man's State Theater. Next item for the "Corrections" column, pls!

GeeGee 1 year, 8 months ago

I was wondering the same thing. I thought the State was privately owned. No wonder this paper is dead in the water. Same thing happened in another flyer, not written by the Albany Herald. They wrote a 2 page article about the downtown cemeteries and called them by the wrong name. It just make you wonder what college they attended.

VietVet1 1 year, 8 months ago

"Kinney Construction Co.'s low bid of $607,777 to stabilize and renovate the downstairs portion"

Then "Yielding & Wakeford architectural firm had submitted a bid of $29,700 for construction management of the project"

How about a mere $6,000 for me to drive by to see if anything is being done. Shame Kinney Construction Co. is unable to supervise his workers. LOL

Only in Albany!!

Shinedownfan 1 year, 8 months ago

Not saying that Kinney would, but some contractors will try to get by with doing things that aren't up to the specifications... anything they can do, cut here, cut there, just to save a buck. The Construction Manager is to oversee the contractor to make sure they and their subcontractors do things by the book.

VietVet1 1 year, 8 months ago

Then pay the $29,700 out of Kinney bid!

Better yet - let's get an outside consultant to advise!!

ilovealbany 1 year, 8 months ago

The CM acts as an Owner's rep to make sure his interests are in order. This cost would not be included in the Contractor's cost as there would be a conflict of interest. Some cities/counties provide their own CM services and some subcontract it out. Hope that gives you some insight into the process.

alleebrin 1 year, 8 months ago

Are we talking about Theatre Albany?? Geez! North Jackson Street? Then perhaps you are talking about that delapidated-looking thing at 313 Pine Avenue maybe? I'd like to know exactly what the Albany Theatre on North Jackson Street is. I do hope the taxpayers aren't going to have to foot the bill to maintain State Theatre! How many concert venues does one two-hourse town need???

aaronblair 1 year, 8 months ago

Historic Albany Theatre at 107 N Jackson

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

The State Theater is privately owned and puts on a lot of good shows. Not sure what you are talking about or if you even know what you are talking about.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

Also, the music scene is back in Albany so this town may be able to have many concert venues. Do you get out much? LOL

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

We need lights in the Art Park!!

aaronblair 1 year, 8 months ago

The ADICA Board is working on this. We want to make sure we place enough power so we dont have to do it twice.

VietVet1 1 year, 8 months ago

Hire a consultant from Atlanta

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

Thanks, Aaron. I love the Art Park!!

Amazed2 1 year, 8 months ago

When did Blair become a Construction Manager? Besides on a $607K contracting project and a $29K Architectural contract he is only trying to save $4000 . Basically he is not a Cobstruction Manager? Show me some credentials that say he is a qualified manager or ICC inspector? He need to be developing downtown events etc.

urbanpurpose 1 year, 8 months ago

Amazed2, I was actually thinking what you just said. However, according to his linkedin page linkedin.com/in/theaaronblair he was project manager for a 14.5 million project in florida. I would say he can handle 607k. Also, I would say if he can save 4000$ do it. ADICA may have been messed up in the past but lets give these people a chance.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Not necessarily. A lot of project managers are just pencil pushers and not hands on with construction experience. Be very careful about letting someone without experiential competence perform on-site construction management. It's called penny wise and pound foolish. A couple of other notes: one- if YWM has got accountability and you take part of their managerial responsibility and remuneration away who then has the accountability? If I say more it will be insulting so I will stop here.

ilovealbany 1 year, 8 months ago

urbanpurpose...aka Blair, quit trying to toot your horn! You can't manage a lease agreement for the skate park, much less a 14.5 million dollar project. Sure looks good on a resume though!

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

I was gonna say that but you said it for me: "You can't manage a lease agreement for the skate park . . ."

aaronblair 1 year, 8 months ago

The YWM proposed contract is not being looked at as something that isn’t important. We simply are trying to make sure that we are not paying for something that can be handled by myself since I have experience in construction management. We need their expertise for sure. We want to make sure we are very frugal and precise with the Tax Allocation District Funds. Thanks you for your comments.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

So who has the responsibility, authority and accountability for management calls, errors, oversights? Who prevails if you disagree? ADICA or YWM. What are the risk management issues and is ADICA properly insured if you blow it. I didn't realize you were hired as a construction manager. Look for YWM to have you signed in an air tight agreement so they won't be professionally responsible for your blunders or time issues. Why don't you tend to your knitting and find go find some businesses to open downtown.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 8 months ago

I was wondering how urbanpurpose knew all that about Blair, thanks for clearing it up for me.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

No, I don't think Urbanpurpose is Aaron. I think y'all are wrong about that. LOL

Cartman 1 year, 8 months ago

You posted what we were all thinking. :)

aaronblair 1 year, 8 months ago

ilovealbany, This is my actually username. FryarTuk, we havent had a lease agreement for the skatepark since I have been here. We have had a couple individuals request to lease it for very little, but we felt that this was not in the best interest of Downtown. If you have questions please call or email me. info@dtownalbany.com 229-439-3999

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

FryarTuk is my actual username too. I actually use it on the threads. Now, I want to be sure I understand your statement. Are you saying that Lane Rosen was not telling the truth when he said " . . after Blair had been hired as downtown manager, Blair contacted him to discuss his past interest in the skate park. . . . Rosen said he offered to buy the property. 'I offered $40,000. . . '" "I made the offer at an ADICA meeting, . . . I did not hear anything else from them (ADICA) about the skate park " AH 4/03/12 Now tell us clearly are these assertions by Lane Rosen in Carlton Fletcher' article false?

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Has he replied to this yet? Is it somewhere and I have missed it? Waiting, aaronburr...let's see the response to the question the Fryar asked.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Okay. We are left to infer from his implied answer. A real straight shooter, a bad motor scooter if you know what I mean.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't know much about the Albany folks, so don't know a thing about you aaron. Question: what are your qualifications for project manager? I ask because my son is an architectural engineer and he sometimes acts as PM for some of the projects his company has bid on and gotten jobs for in the Southeast. Normally he goes to make sure the winning bidder is not wasting time or money and the project can be finished on time. Since his company is not familiar with a few of the winning bidders on out of state jobs (on smaller projects) they feel it is to their advantage to have a PM who has a good basic knowledge of the job.

Amazed2 1 year, 8 months ago

Guess what I am looking at is for ADICA to assume a chunk of liability for construction management when they only save $4000. If I am the Architect and I get $25000 but Blair wants to do inspections and partial management on behalf of ADICA then I would be happy that he basically just lowered my professional liability exposure greatly. I still get $25000 and ADICA gets more liability. If your going to mange it and you are qualified then why not save $29000 instead of $4000. Also just because somebody puts something on a resume does not mean they are experts. Just means they associated themselves with a project. I guess I would need more info about Blair's actual professional qualifications to be considered a project manager. Basically I am saying why take the liability if you can only save $4000 of a $630,000+++ project. Surely his time could be better spent selling of the frigin skate park or something.

Oldguy 1 year, 8 months ago

AARON,

I would like to get some of that consultant money everyone in local government likes to send to Atlanta. I have no training, track record, degree or experience but that seems to be Ok.

I am literate and speak perfect English with a nice southern accent. Just post in a squawk here where I go to pick up my check. Thanking you in advance.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

If you were a female minority you would ge "good to go"

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Why not get that female minority owned outfit from Florida that did the Federal Court House? They do fine work and don't need nobody watching over they shoulder, thank you very much.

Amazed2 1 year, 8 months ago

VietVet as your friend you might consider not making statements on this topic. You are embarrassing yourself with your vast lack of knowledge on this topic.

dickyboy 1 year, 8 months ago

That's the last thing the businesses on the100 block of N Jackson needs..library parking gone.. now construction on the theatre.. almost impossible getting a parking place...

Oldguy 1 year, 8 months ago

Sister_Ruby,

I am a minority in Albany, I am a whit male with no gang affiliations and no prison record.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Good luck, Oldguy. First you are the wrong ethnicity, second you are too clean, and third, you are literate and can speak English clearly (most likely). BEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPP...the sound of the rejection buzzer going off. Better luck next time.