ROUNDUP: Serial rapist given eight life terms

These are some of the top headlines from around the state.

ATLANTA — A convicted DeKalb County serial rapist was handed eight life sentences, plus 135 years, on Tuesday.

Gary Wendale Mincey, 36, was convicted of raping or attempting to rape five women during a six-week period in of the fall of 2011.

"These women's lives have forever been changed by the heinous acts of a serial rapist," said DeKalb County Chief Assistant District Attorney Nicole Marchand Golden. "We hope this guilty verdict and sentence will bring some form of relief to each one of our victims and (their) loved ones. There is a monster who no longer roams the streets of DeKalb County."

Between Oct. 16 and Nov. 29, Mincey stalked five women, following them from various locations -- the Publix supermarket on Flakes Mill Road, Echelon Bar and Bistro in Stone Mountain and Tanqueray Lounge in Decatur -- to their homes.

He seemed to pick his victims at random, their ages ranging from ages 22 to 53. Each woman described a man dressed in black threatening to kill them before robbing them of jewelry, cell phones and money, and ultimately forcing himself on them, prosecutors said.

Two women were able to fend off actual rape; three others were raped. Rape kit samples collected from only two of the women helped to match DNA to Mincey when police eventually caught up to him.

Police investigating the case initially arrested a different man. But the attacks continued after the man was in custody, ramping up the fear throughout DeKalb County.

Police were able to track Mincey by calling the iPhone he took from his victim. They found him driving an SUV — described by victims and witnesses in each attack -- and in possession of items that belonged to the last victim.

On Tuesday morning, a DeKalb County Superior Court judge gave Mincey the maximum sentence possible.


Protesters throw items at police cars in NE Atlanta

ATLANTA — Protesters threw bricks, rocks and hammers at Atlanta police cars Tuesday when authorities came to their neighborhood, authorities said.

The incident happened around 6 p.m. near the 1500 block of Hardee Street in northeast Atlanta.

The protesters were said to be upset about alleged excessive force used by police during arrests caught on a cell phone video the day before, police said.

About 50 people had gathered, and police units were sent to monitor them, Atlanta police spokesman Carlos Campos told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"Some of the protesters set upon the officers, throwing items at them," he said. "We understand there were bricks thrown, hammers thrown, some rocks, different debris thrown at them, at their cars."

Vehicles were damaged, but no injuries were reported.

One person was arrested, Deputy Police Chief Renee Propes said.

Officers retreated to de-escalate the situation, Campos said.

Monday's arrests came during a domestic violence situation, he said. Batons and pepper spray were deployed, and it turned into a bit of an altercation, according to Campos.

While one person was being arrested, a woman jumped on an officer's back and she, too, was taken into custody, Propes said.

Police became aware of the video Tuesday night are working to gather more information.

No formal complaint has been made to police, but "we certainly will open an investigation on this," Propes said.


Macon police investigating early morning armed robberies

MACON — Macon police are investigating two armed robberies that occurred 45 minutes apart early Wednesday morning.

Officers were called to the Bank of America at 2720 Riverside Drive were a person was robbed at about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday.

At 2:15 a.m., a call came in about another armed robbery at the Flash Foods at 3889 Vineville Ave.

No one was reported hurt in the incidents, but no further information was immediately available early Wednesday morning.


Computer woes delay driver license sites

AUGUSTA — Longer than normal wait times are expected today at all Georgia Department of Driver Services locations after a statewide computer outage Tuesday.

According to the departments’s Web site, Tuesday is typically its busiest days.

“The problem appears to stem from faulty network hardware,” Alan Moore, MorphoTrust USA senior vice president said in a release Tuesday. “We are troubleshooting and anticipate having the system online and stable by morning.”

It is unclear if the system has been repaired.