ADICA to seek bids on skate park

Brian Culberson, left, attempts a turn on his skateboard as J.D. Wood looks on in this Oct. 2008 file photo taken at the downtown Albany Skate Park at 135 College Drive.  A local fraternity chapter has made a request to lease the property.

Brian Culberson, left, attempts a turn on his skateboard as J.D. Wood looks on in this Oct. 2008 file photo taken at the downtown Albany Skate Park at 135 College Drive. A local fraternity chapter has made a request to lease the property.

ALBANY, Ga. -- Businessman Lane Rosen said his first two attempts to lease or buy the downtown skate park that is under the management of the Albany-Dougherty Inner City Authority were thwarted by ADICA and city officials.

Now Rosen has an opportunity to determine if the third time is the charm.

ADICA President Aaron Blair said Thursday the development authority's board had decided in closed session at its Wednesday meeting to entertain bids to purchase the skate park property at 125 College Drive.

"We haven't set a timetable or a date yet, but the board voted to accept closed bids on that property to see if there is interest in acquiring it," Blair said. "If someone wants to buy that property for some other purpose, like a restaurant, we would probably rebuild the skate park at another location.

"But it would still be located downtown."

Rosen, who told The Albany Herald recently that he had made previous attempts to buy or lease the skate park but had not been dealt with in good faith by ADICA officials, said Friday he's not sure that he'll make an offer on the skate park property.

"I'm a little skeptical, to be honest with you," Rosen said. "I'm going to think about this, but the bid (on the property) that I made (two years ago) has already been put out there in the paper, so I'd go into any sealed-bid process at a disadvantage.

"My first thought when I heard (from ADICA) is that this could be a trap. I hate to say that, but I have a great deal of mistrust (in city officials) right now. But, yeah, it's something I'm going to think over."

Rosen spoke of his attempts to lease or purchase the skate park after reading a report that a member of a local fraternity had asked ADICA to lease the office building on the skate park property for $5 a year to use as a fraternity headquarters from which to conduct community outreach projects.

Blair and city of Albany Central Services Director Stephen Collier also confirmed Thursday that Kinney Construction Co. did include a certified bid bond in its bid package to renovate and stabilize the historic Albany Theatre on North Jackson Street. Kinney made the apparent lowest responsible bid ($607,777) on the ADICA-sponsored project, but City Attorney Nathan Davis said there was no bid bond in the package he had.

Blair said the bid process had been conducted by the city's procurement office.

"To be fair to Kinney, I want to make it clear that they did include the bid bond in their package," Collier said.

The ADICA board voted not to approve Kinney's bid until specific questions about its bid were answered.

Comments

GeeGee 1 year ago

Last week I saw an article that teens had nothing to do in Albany. Folks are not going to go downtown to use this park, not without armed guards. This is the very reason it has never been used. This man just wants the land so turn a major profit when the time is right. He does not care about a skate park. Obviously neither to do the skate boarders either. The best place would have been Chehaw Park. The land would have been free.

Amazed2 1 year ago

Yes Lane Rosen did attempt to negotiate for the skate park. It was in the public news a few years ago. Not once but multiple days. I find it difficult to believe that ADICA wants to act like it never happened.

whattheheck 1 year ago

Not difficult for me. Around here it is easier to climb the tree and tell the lie as the saying goes. Kind of like with the 8 units of low rent housing the city paid for that wound up being "lost" to the Cutliff Church and all seem willing to deny ever existed..

agirl_25 1 year ago

More than just a few times I have told you people who are so upset about the activities in town to write the major news networks and ask them to look into them. I do all the time and got a reply back from ABC News about something that really really bugged me (not about Albany, I don't live there) but about something else. The email gave me steps to take to submit my story, plus names and addresses of people to contact. I said it before and will say it again...if enough of you wrote to the major networks I am confident that sooner or later someone would want to do a story on what you all consider inept city/county government and fraud as far as the grants go.

whattheheck 1 year ago

And did ABC use what you sent or did it go that far? One thing for sure is you can forget the local media, print or television, and the politicians.

agirl_25 1 year ago

In the reply from them they want me to send them documentation (ie. newspaper articles, etc) and I am in the process of collecting information. Several of the gripes on here I am finding and using the URL for that particular item so they can just click on the URL and go to the subject. I have also done a Bing search and have found much information about my gripe. It seems this topic was once on one of the network news programs, like Nightline.

FryarTuk 1 year ago

City: " (City procurement staff) confirmed Thursday that Kinney Construction Co. did include a certified bid bond in its bid (on) Albany Theatre renovation ." After the inimitable barrister Nathan Davis declared they did not send it along.

Rosen: " I have a great deal of mistrust (in city officials) right now."

I'd say Rosen's suspicion is a healthy business reaction.

Somewhere I read that one of these folks wanted to serve as a construction manager. And then I also heard another group wanted to take over the Water, Gas and Light supply system here. I believe the inimitable one, Nathan Davis wrote the amendment to be voted on. Wasn't he fired from WG&L several years ago? HMMM. What a group!

Now folks when you read those sealed bids be sure you don't let ole Nate see them first, he may miss something.