Squawk of the day - April 20, 2013

I was driving down Johnson Road and saw an elderly man stand at the school bus stop with a young child waiting on the bus, and this gentleman was drinking a beer. I feel sorry for that young child.

Comments

MRKIA 1 year ago

AT LEAST THE CHILD IS BEING ESCORTED TO THE BUS STOP AND SENT TO SCHOOL, NOT EXCUSING THE OLD MANS NEED TO TAKE HIS BEER WITH HIM BUT AT LEAST HE'S THERE.

Sister_Ruby 1 year ago

Yes, he was being very selfish and not sharing.

dickyboy 1 year ago

Me too...but Mom could have been on crack...six of one..half dozen of the other... so many of grandparents raising grandkids in Albany... it's ridiculous..

Terry.Lewis 1 year ago

At least somebody cared enough to go out there and stand with the kid.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year ago

That's not just an Albany problem. :(

Abytaxpayer 1 year ago

Got to agree with Terry on this one....Albany has too many throw away kids. Atleast this child had someone who cared enough to see him onto a school bus.

trudy2 1 year ago

dickyboy, maybe the mom was at work, and grandparents are helping with grandkids all over this country, even rich white folks help. I think your comment is ridiculous.

RedEric 1 year ago

And maybe the kid already drank his morning beer.

waltspecht 1 year ago

Now let me get this straight. Drinking a Beer while doing something most parents in Albany are too lazy to do makes the act wrong? Maybe the guy just got off third shift. At least he seems involved with the child's safety. Maybe not the best example of parenting, but definately better than most I have wittnessed around Albany.

USTPC 1 year ago

I agree Walt. I remember working graveyard and after work my friends and I would stop at a convenience store and grab some beer at 7 AM. Got some strange looks but for graveyard shift 7 AM was the start of our evening. Those of you judging the guy need to stop unless you have more information about the situation.

Oldguy 1 year ago

Who picks these squawks? Some of them are totally stupid. One old man drinking a beer on a street corner? A kid waiting for a school bus? Separately they have no relevance, together they still have no relevance. If there are none with enough substance simply put up a squawk stating that.

trudy2 1 year ago

This is the best the staff at the Herald can do, so what does that tell you about this newspaper and it's staff................

erock 1 year ago

Oh my lord, and you've never broke the speed limit? Petty folks, starting to sound like the Harper Valley PTA

WJReady 1 year ago

I fear no beer... This is a ridiculous Squawk and sounds like you are just jealous you did not have a Beer. What is your problem?

VSU 1 year ago

Just because the man was holding a can of beer doesn't make him a bad person, no more than if the man was holding a can of Mountain Dew would make him a good person. We complain about people not being involved and when they do, someone finds something else to complain about. It's not like he had a gun or illegal drugs in his hand,

rock 1 year ago

I stood a third watch for years. 8 A.M. was my time for a beer, hamburgers or what and time to unwind from being on watch. If he just got home, I commend him for not being to tired to be with his child. if he was off for the day and just a wanted beer, who should care. To many people pay way to much attention to what others are doing, when they themselves are just petty. I heard a man tell an OLD person that had just stuck her nose into his business, uninvited, How to live to be another 80 years old. To quote " Stay out of my business and you will live longer". People who drink coffee in the mornings are using a stimulant to get going as well, I digress....