Squawk of the Day - April 22, 2013

"The exit strategy for the war on poverty is that all able-bodied people go to work."

Squawks are submitted by the public and do not necessarily represent the views of The Albany Herald.

Comments

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 12 months ago

That's what is SHOULD be, but that is not what it ACTUALLY is.

Sister_Ruby 12 months ago

No, it isn't. It SHOULD be..........but it damm sure isn't.

dickyboy 12 months ago

Pride is a word that is not in many peoples dictionary.. The government has spoiled so many and generations have become wards of the state..however if they stop taking care of these people crime will be worse now than it is...

Sister_Ruby 12 months ago

I can hear it now.....the rhetorical "who are 'these people'?"............well the answer is: YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE

RedEric 12 months ago

None of the above will work. Why they might start voting Republican if they all went to work every day. The war on poverty was started to create democratic voters it has been very successful. The regime has no intent of reducing welfare, they mean to expand it to bring in more people. Nancy Pelosi wants to be Speaker again.

fcarroll 12 months ago

I have a brother-in-law with severe RA and is crippled by it, he is not on a free ride and has to go to the doctor monthly to get his meds and show proof that he has actually taken them before he can get his next refill. Now how wrong is that compared to those who get them free to sell on the streets? This country has gone to far with the freebies to turn back now. The ones of us that has worked all our lives for what we have would be the ones targeted.

agirl_25 12 months ago

What kind of program is he on fcarroll? That sounds odd that he has to go every time he needs a medication refill unless there is more to the story. I ask because when I worked as a home health nurse I had patients who had to go in once a month for refills but for specific reasons.

erudite 12 months ago

And where are these jobs? Do you think that companies should be fined for outsourcing jobs? Should all of the computer companies bring their help lines back to the US? Should China-Mart and all of the big box stores be mandated to provide 50% of consumer items be "Made in the USA"?

How do we bring jobs back? how do we create new ones? I would like to see the CCC comeback and the folks who work there be mandated to return 80% of their earned money back to their families. The workers would learn marketable skills: engineering, structural architecture, etc.

Why won't people buy American cars/trucks/vans/motorcycles? No, it is not b/c of union wages. Remember they brought you (except GA) a livable wage, the weekends, health coverage, etc. GA still pays far below the fed minimum and since a good number of people work in fast food/restaurants, they make only 2.13$ an hour and have to make up the rest in tips.

sad_for_albany 12 months ago

Last time I looked, Kia was made right here is Georgia. BMW is made in South Carolina, Honda is made in Tennessee. Those are AMERICAN jobs for AMERICAN workers. Yes, part of the money does go back to Japan and South Korea, but I would rather have my friends and neighbors biuld them for those companies than be jobless.

agirl_25 12 months ago

Don't forget the Mercedes...the R, GL and ML class are built in Vance, Alabama, last time I looked. Nissan in Mississippi too. The Subaru is even made in the USA..in Indiana. Mazda in Missouri, Michigan and Minnesota.

VietVet1 12 months ago

Don't forget SORRYNESS made right here in Albany

erudite 12 months ago

Those are not AMERICAN cars; they are foreign cars built by Americans. Too many really ignorant people here.

agirl_25 12 months ago

Who cares if they are American cars or not..at least it is a job and good money. Would you rather have the person on public assistance because he was not building an AMERICAN car? Not me...I would rather see someone working. Seems to me the states represented mean one hell of a lot of jobs and a hell of a lot of people off welfare. My relatives in Ohio have worked for Chrysler/Jeep for years and years (when it was Jeep/AMC) and I can just see them throwing a hissy fit when Mercedes came in a few years ago--- saying "well this is NOT an American car so I refuse to work for you." Yes, you are correct, there are too many ignorant people on here and I never put you in that class until today, with such a dumb statement.

VSU 12 months ago

The majority of these people on welfare wouldn't get a job if 500,000 jobs became available in this area.

erudite 12 months ago

and you know this how?

jglass 12 months ago

VSU, you are do right!

sad_for_albany 12 months ago

well, if the benefits disappeared as the jobs returned people would go to work. they would have to. If you keep the same freebees, nothing will change no matter what the job climate is.

PatrickY2K 12 months ago

Your school system isn't producing employable graduates. After that's happened for a generation or two, it's a hard pattern to break. Being dependent on entitlements is a result of bigger problems, it isn't the core problem.

agirl_25 12 months ago

Sad but true. I bet 75% of the graduates can't even spell their names let alone say them. It goes back to the terrible school system. I would love to see the entitlements end too sad_for_albany, but remember you cannot just rip the rug out from under everyone, entitled or not. Think of the chaos that would ensue. I do wish there was an end to so much entitlement tho..hope I see it in my lifetime but doubt it. In my life I have seen it balloon into the monster it has become and it makes me sick and sad.

fcarroll 12 months ago

agirl this has stated with anyone now having to take pain meds due to people going to this doc and that one for meds that they can sale on street corners. FDA implemented this towards the end of 2012

agirl_25 12 months ago

OK he must be in a pain management program then. Yes, I know all about how easily drugs can be abused by junkies and am familiar with the FDA but thought it only applied to people in programs. Back when I had so many problems with my spine (pre-surgery) that I had every narcotic pain releiving drug you could think of...MS Contin, Dilaudid, Oxycontin, even the Fentanyl patches. Could not take any of them....allergic reaction to narcotics....but it gets out on the street when people have so many drugs from a local small town drugstore and you would be surprised at the number of anonomyous calls I got inquiring about whether or not I was taking them.....wink wink..if they were relieving the pain, etc....yeah right. They were wondering if they were for sale. Even now when I go in for a surgical procedure the doc always writes out an Rx for some narcotic pain med. The script goes in the trash.