Fletcher to make bid for City Commission

ALBANY, Ga. — Businesswoman B.J. Fletcher announced Monday she will seek the Ward III Albany City Commission seat currently held by Christopher Pike in the city’s Nov. 5 Municipal Election.

Fletcher, the owner of BJ’s Country Buffet, director of sales for the local Hilton Garden Inn and a member of the Albany-Dougherty Inner City Authority board, said her campaign will focus on needed improvements within Ward III and economic development opportunities in the city.

“If you take and look at the job description of what a city commissioner does ... well, I’ve been doing that,” Fletcher said. “It’s like the description was written about B.J. Fletcher. I believe there are specific needs in the ward that aren’t being met, and I honestly believe I can do a better job of meeting them.

“I believe a good commissioner has to be a phone call away, and I have always been approachable. I’ve heard from a lot of people in Ward III that Chris is a hard person to reach.”

Pike said Monday he’s not surprised by Fletcher’s announcement.

“I knew when she made a move into the ward a few months ago ... well, this is not my first rodeo,” Pike said. “I have no real comment about her announcement right off hand, other than to say that that’s one of the great things about America, that anyone who wants to be a part of the process has a right to run.”

Fletcher, who lost in a runoff to current Mayor Dorothy Hubbard for that seat in 2011, alluded to Pike’s financial issues with her employer while talking about her planned run for a seat on the commission.

“I’ve personally tried to stay out of Chris’ issues with the Hilton Garden Inn because I’m employed there,” she said. “But I’m aware of those issues, and I know (a former Hilton employee) lost her job because of his refusal to pay the money he owed there.

“Now, we’ve had issues with the noise at the Broad Avenue Bridge with work sometimes going on until 10 or 11 at night where we’ve had to give refunds to customers who couldn’t sleep. The Hilton, which is a downtown business, can’t reach out to the commissioner who represents the downtown district. I think we need someone capable of making the best decisions for their ward; it’s not about the commissioners, it’s about the people they represent.”

The Wards II, III and V City Commission seats, currently held, respectively, by Ivey Hines, Pike and Bob Langstaff, will be up for election on Nov. 5.

Comments

jglass 1 year, 8 months ago

You go B.J. Good luck to you.

truthsayer 1 year, 8 months ago

Shouldn't be hard to beat this man. He has no morals, he lies and he owes the Marriott hotel money that he stole from local businesses that donated money for some kind of gathering, forget what it was. He skipped out of them bills and he shouldn't be on the commission in the first place.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

Hilton Hotel. The hotel BJ works for. The event was the Black Expo.

neliz 1 year, 8 months ago

Go, BJ! Good for Ward III. I hope they vote Pike out of office. He is such a crook. I'll be embarrassed for him if he even continues to run with all of the mess he has caused his ward and the city of Albany.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

I am a Ward 3 resident and you can bet I will get the word out to vote her in.

Thurman 1 year, 8 months ago

GO FOR IT B.J. Hopefully the citizens of this ward have woken up and realize that the representative they have now is just a crook hiding under many cloaks.

ThatsRight 1 year, 8 months ago

Some cities require people running for office not to have back taxes or legal troubles. Albany should adopt this practice.

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

She's got my support. I really don't refer this city as The Good Life City, but maybe she can get voted in and help make it back to The Good Life city.

Bulldawg 1 year, 8 months ago

Go BJ!!! I wish you the best in your campaign. You have my support.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

I challenge all of the bloggers who have criticized the city commission to contribute $100 to BJ's campaign. I'll go one further. I will raise matching gifts for the first 5 donors of $100 each (must use blogging name) and provide my blogging name with the matching donations to BJ for authentication. Friday, May 3, 2013 is the deadline. Chris The Piker must go.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 8 months ago

Fry I will take you up on that offer. I will come to town Wed and give BJ my donation with my name on it....Thank You Taxpayer

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

I've just recruited a donor to cover you! BJ will have the matching money by Monday.

Ihope4albany 1 year, 8 months ago

I challenge all of the bloggers to rights many of the wrongs from the past of this Good Ole Boys City that keeps it Po'Ville and the Not So Good LIfe City!

I hope that is part of BJ's agenda for Ward III!

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Ihop says: " . . . bloggers to rights many of the wrongs from the past . . . "

Well, we want to be sure ole Chris the Piker rights his wrongs from the past if that's what you mean.

dickyboy 1 year, 8 months ago

Does anyone know the racial makeup of ward 3? Unfortunately that's the way it goes in the good life city... Jeff Sinyard is the only one I know that beats the odds...

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Let's hope the voters understand what's at stake.

bigbob 1 year, 8 months ago

This is completely true. If ward 3 is in a high black area BJ has no chance. They call us racist put all they see is color.

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

ACTUALLY BJ WOULD HAVE A GOOD CHANCE IN A "HIGH BLACK AREA" AS YOU CALL IT. DARK SKIN DOES NOT A BLACK MAN MAKE.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

I have to agree, BJ has many black voters who support her.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

Plus, I know for a fact Ward 3 has picked up a few more whites from Marietta's ward after he gerrymandered the new ward map, including myself...

Putney 1 year, 8 months ago

I believe Commissioner Gurr beat the odds in that ward when he defeated Williams a few years back.

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

FLETCHER WOULD BE A WELCOME ADDITION TO THE COMMISSION BRINGING WITH HER THE BUSINESS ACUMEN AND TRUE CONCERN FOR THE COMMUNITY TO THE TABLE. CHRIS THE PIKER IS A BUST. WHAT APPEARED TO BE A YOUNG MAN WITH PROMISE SHOULD HAVE COME WITH A PROMISSORY NOTE. ANYBODY WOULD BE BETTER THAN PIKE BUT FLETCHER IS SO FAR THE BEST. GOOD LUCK.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

Promissory note... that's a good one. LMAO

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

A VIABLE AND QUALIFIED CANDIDATE IS NEEDED TO UNSEAT RIGGINS AND ANOTHER FOR FISH FRYING JUNE BUG AS WELL. THEY CAN'T BE THE BEST THAT THOSE WARDS HAVE TO OFFER.

Parent 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't understand how June Bug is still on the board. There was a young lady running against him a couple of years ago who seemed well educated, but June Bug still won. I wonder if he bought a win with the people of that district?

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

June Bug is not going anywhere. Whether we like it or not. Unless the people in his district wise up.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Somewhere June Bug switched hats. It maybe after he sold his store and paid off his mortgage. But at one point he came under control of the other side of the force. The fellow that works in my yard told me that June Bug helped so many folks during the two floods he could be re-elected against Obi Wan is his district. Maybe we need to change strategies and get him to switch force fields again.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

She moved to ward 3 over 2 years ago. Where the heck does he come up with that drivel? Plus, he is the one who I have heard lives outside ward 3. He only uses his PO Box info because of it.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Why would someone get fired at the Hilton because of Pike the Pickled Pecker's bills? That I don't understand. It was in the article but was something that BJ said. Was someone not peckling their quota of pickled peppers? Peter Pike(r) must have is peck of pickled peppers.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

The lady that was in her position at the Hilton before BJ came along was fired because she trusted Pike to pay up the $11K for the Black Expo and he didn't and thus, she was fired and BJ replaced her.

He could care less if someone who worked in his ward was fired or not. That is the point...