Squawk of the day - April 23, 2013

I have not heard a single person voice any opposition to stopping Saturday mail. Who cares? If you’re under 40, you usually say, “They still deliver mail?”

Comments

Shorty50 12 months ago

The USPS lost $16 billion last year and expects to have a greater deficit this year. Cutting Saturday delivery saves only about $2 billion, but at least that is one government agency that is trying to save money. I agree that Saturday delivery is a waste and can be stopped -- if Congress will allow it.

fcarroll 12 months ago

The mail delivery on Sat. is to be continued.

rightasrain 12 months ago

I could care less about Saturday mail; USPS has already announced they will continue to deliver on Saturday; however, if box mail at the Post Office at LaFayette Station continues to be delivered later and later, I'll just have to check my mail only on Sunday. When I first began receiving mail at this location, the mail was "up" by 9 A.M., then it was 9:30, then 10:00, now it's too often not up until 11:00 or later. The service counter is no better most of the time. I don't know why one guy is even there...all he does is walk around in the back acting like he's doing something! Disgusted with the USPS, period! It's just a sugar teat for its "waiting for retirement" employees.

alleebrin 12 months ago

I'M OKAY WITH CANCELING THE ENTIRE USPS! There's online for business transactions, FedEX and UPS. Those who wants things to remain as they have been since the Pony Express should get real. They will adept if they have to adept!

sad_for_albany 12 months ago

I agree that it's ok to stop Saturday delivery. I think it's ok to close the downtown post office. That is the problem with folks now adays, everyone thinks the post office should take cost cutting measures as long as it doesn't impact them personally. The post office needs a radical restructure to become profitable. If it means the downtown office goes, so be it.

daisymae 12 months ago

I opted a long time ago for "paperless" billing on my bills. If only I could get the utility bill/waterbill done that way then I would not be getting mail in my box except for junk. I pay everything online that I can. It has taken me four years to use a box of checks. I go to the post office for my job and it has gotten to the point that mail is not in the box at 11:45. Priorty Mail (you pay extra for this) does not get delivered but once a week and the Post Office is wondering why they are loosing money.

Sister_Ruby 12 months ago

Get a bank that allows you to do electronic bill pay.

whattheheck 12 months ago

The post office knows why it is losing money but getting unions and the Congress to agree on what needs to be done is the problem.

HalfFan 12 months ago

You can autopay albany WG&L bill.Just sign up for deduction from checking or other account.

agirl_25 12 months ago

daiseymae....i have everything put on my American Express credit card and earn points for every dollar spent. Then I have the credit union where my husband's military retirement goes pay the balance monthly. I have earned enough points for a vacation for 4 from London to Dublin later this summer. That includes air fare and hotel. Now I am working on next year's vacation to parts yet unknown. Works well for me and doesn't cost me a penny and the credit union does all the work. Voila'...