Squawk of the Day - April 26, 2013

At no point during the Bush years did anyone question his birth certificate, call him a socialist, a communist, or a clown. He crushed the middle class, so we did deservedly call him an idiot.

Squawks are comments submitted by the public and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Albany Herald.

Comments

LoneCycler 1 year, 6 months ago

When this squawker hears bad things said about president Obama you can tell their feelings are deeply injured. Dubya’s supporters were not and are not emotionally involved with his popularity polls. Call Dubya whatever you please. It won’t make you feel any better about yourself. And you’re showing that Obama’s supporters have the emotional maturity of a 5 year old. Also, please keep in mind that this is the Squawkbox and not a children’s sandbox. Thank you.

agirl_25 1 year, 6 months ago

I think the Squawker is wrong. Bush was often called a clown and made fun of in late night monologs by TV talk show hosts and by comedians everywhere. I have been voting since the early 60's and I cannot recall a POTUS that has been more ridiculed than Bush. All you have to do is go to YouTube and you can find a vast collection of videos making fun of him, of his fumbling speech and inability to say some words. I don't understand the name calling but do admire both Bush and Obama for not acknowledging the behavior of these people. Bush left office, maybe not one of our better presidents, but he left it with his head held high. And no, I am of neither party... just stating a point, an opinion, so keep the smart ass comments to yourselves. Mrs. Dilligaf

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 6 months ago

Having your every move, or lack thereof, criticized comes with the territory when you have the title of the most powerful man in the free world. I'm sure they learned early on that you can't make everyone happy in life. Bush wasn't the first and Obama won't be the last.

FryarTuk 1 year, 6 months ago

You are certainly correct that he took a bite out of the middle class but Obi Wan hasn't done much for us either. Both are examples of poor leaders.

erock 1 year, 6 months ago

What's the difference between a candidate and a president? About 180 degrees.

waltspecht 1 year, 6 months ago

Basically the question is; is your life better, worse or the same? Most people relate to their own situation. What has been done by this individual for them and their pet causes? No one wants to look at what has been accomplished for the betterment of the Country. As to comments, they are all earned in someone's view. Respect doesn't come with position, it is individually earned. Obama hasn't earned mine, as I believe he is one of the most corrupt in his corrupt administration. If you don't believe that, look at the exemptions from his Medical plan. However that is what I see from my eyes. What you see might be different. However, we all have a right to form and express opinions

ZCorp 1 year, 6 months ago

Actually, my life is better now under President Obama. I am " AKA Republican " , yet things I improved, is because I took a hard look at myself in the mirror, & motivated my own life. Life has No Excuse, improve yourself. Political Parties aside, I blame myself for my failures, try to build on my accomplishments. Peace

trudy2 1 year, 6 months ago

You post a good game sir, however, your fingers have overloaded your rear end. What proof have you as to the president being the "most corrupt" in his corrupt administration ? I understand that any black person would have a hard time gaining respect here in the deep south, all one has to do is read the post patrol and you get a good idea of the area we live in and how folks think. I worked for the United States Government and have traveled the world in my duties, CORRUPT, Mr. Waltspecht, sir you have no idea..................

ZCorp 1 year, 6 months ago

I cannot even comment, those years were sad. End of Discussion in my eyes. History will have the final say, I am just a private citizen. Textbooks in the year 2050 will be interesting to read, then what is truth. Peace.

Somebody 1 year, 6 months ago

I think the future years will be sadder than what it is now. In 2028, people will look back and think 2008 wasn't as bad as we thought it was. Unless things change I really think between now and 2028 the world will be an even more violent place to live than it is now.

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 6 months ago

You are right. Bush never was challenged on the issues you mention. Instead, he faced lies about his Air National Guard service, blamed for 9-11, accused of invading Iraq for personal gain and called a "clown" (that was one of the nicer names). For the last 4 years, Obama has blamed him for every ill in the country. Let's get together in 20 years and we'll see how history really paints these two.

"Crush the middle class?" Simply liberal talk show talking points.

FryarTuk 1 year, 6 months ago

If you want to have ObjectiveEves google the Pew Research Center's study reported August 22, 2012, entitled "The Lost Decade of the Middle Class - Fewer, Poorer, Gloomier"

It gives credit to W and Obi Wan. Particularly for the latter's continuing the policies of his predecessor.

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 6 months ago

I am fully aware of the plight of the middle class, as I am included in that segment. I will, though, take you up on the offer. The squawk, however, seems to imply that Bush single-handedly took it upon himself to crush us.

(Nice word-play on the whole objectiveeyes name. Kudos!)

agirl_25 1 year, 6 months ago

Or you could read back copies of the Wall Street Journal for some excellent articles, pro and con, about the "mess" we are in. The articles reference things that occurred in the administrations back to the older Bush. I am a part of the middle class too and I am doing fine, thankyouverymuch. I have no complaints at all. I never wrote checks my azz couldn't cash, in other words, I never lived beyond my means. I don't worry about tomorrow...sorry...just ain't my style. As far as what is right or wrong with this country, I think we know all that. The stupid politicians who are self-serving idiots, too concerned about their bottom line or the bottom line of the ones who got them there. It is pretty evident here in SoWeGa.

RedEric 1 year, 6 months ago

Bush and congress gave CEOs the right to loot our retirement packages. Hardly any CEOs could resist filling their own pockets. I hold that against one CEO in particular. I have seen Bush cartooned as a monkey. I bet that artist holds that close and doesn't change faces on the monkey. G. W. Bush is a progressive type guy, so he only had my support because the Demos running against him were so awful. There were plenty of legitimate complaints that could have been used against him, so the lies were completely unnecessary.

oldster 1 year, 6 months ago

President O'bama was NOT elected to be criticized and be talked bad about by the media and others. However, if anyone were to compliment him....who could believe it?

lowercasejesus 1 year, 6 months ago

Who crushed the middle class? Obama has half the country on food stamps. The punch bowl is brimming with turds now

FryarTuk 1 year, 6 months ago

lcj: "Who crushed the middle class?" W & Obi Wan and the partisan politicians in Congress.

Somebody 1 year, 6 months ago

Saw on the CNN website where a new CNN poll showed Bush's approval rating has risin 11 points since 2009. Guess some folks compare him to Obama and realize maybe Bush wasn't as bad as they thought he was.

agirl_25 1 year, 6 months ago

Did it say when the poll was taken? Bush just had a library dedicated and times like that people's ratings seem to rise. Also, did it break down the demographics as far as who replied to the poll? Sort of reminds me of the story my Dad told me. When he was quite young, Alf Landon was running against FDR and polls had Landon ahead. The poll was taken by telephone of all things. How many people do you imagine had telephones then, and what type person? I don't put much stock in polls.

Somebody 1 year, 6 months ago

This was on a CNN email alert I received.

The view of George W. Bush's presidency has improved with time, according to a CNN/ORC International Poll.

Forty-two percent now say his presidency was a success, up 11 points since a CNN poll in January 2009, during his final days in office. Fifty-five percent of those questioned say Bush's presidency was a failure, down 13 percentage points since 2009.

CNN's John King sits down with George and Laura Bush for a one-on-one interview airing Wednesday night on "Anderson Cooper 360" at 10 p.m. ET. CNN TV and CNN.com will cover the dedication of the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum from Dallas on Thursday.

agirl_25 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks, Somebody, for the followup but I would still be interested in who was polled. Wonder if you ever reply and comment on the CNN polls on their web page? I do and have....many times. It was nice to know you got a CNN email alert and not a Fox one. I think I would trust CNN more....altho I don't get my news from one source and I am sure you don't either.

Somebody 1 year, 6 months ago

I watch all news, although I will point out the story didn't specify exactly when the poll was taken, but I assume it was recently. It didn't specify who was polled, but apparently some who were polled earlier has changed their opinion.

agirl_25 1 year, 6 months ago

Most likely, Somebody, as is the case oftentimes when new polls are taken. Thanks for the reply. I enjoy your posts. They are interesting and you are very articulate with comments. You are one of the few whose posts I am sure to read. So many others are not worth the time.

rock 1 year, 6 months ago

We can discuss George Bush's presidency forever. The fact remains that OBAMA (One Big Ass mistake America) has been president of this country for 5 years. It is now Obama's presidency that has increased hand out programs 3 fold, Pushed for and got sequestration, is forcing the workforce into Obama care and violates the constitution on a daily basis. Obama has increased taxes, weakend the economy, send billions of dollars to Islamic enemies. He has stated that when push come to shove he will back ISLAM without question and is attempting to strip this country of our rights. Remember, he has openly shown his disdain for the founders of this country and openly condemns the constitution. George Bush may have been described as a clown, but Obama can clearly be described as a domestic enemy of this country.

Somebody 1 year, 6 months ago

"Pushed for and got sequestration"

Don't forget the demoncrats blame the replubicans for sequestration, even though it was Obama's idea.