Former bank teller sentenced in ID theft

ALBANY, Ga. — Victoria Metz, 26, drew a four-year prison sentence Thursday for 12 counts of embezzlement of government property and four counts of aggravated identity theft, according to according to Michael J. Moore, U.S. attorney for the Middle District of Georgia.

U.S. District Court Judge W. Louis Sands, of the Middle District of Georgia, delivered the sentence.

Metz, formerly employed as a teller for Colony Bank in Leesburg, was convicted by a jury on Jan. 16 for cashing $79,361 in stolen Internal Revenue Service refund checks. During her trial, Metz admitted to having received a portion on the proceeds from a third party who supplied the checks.

“When Ms. Metz stole her victims’ identities, she took something from every one of us,” Moore said. “The message should be clear. When you commit identity theft you are going to jail.”

Following the completion of her prison sentence, Metz must serve three years of supervised release and make restitution to Colony Bank for the $79,361.

Comments

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

16 counts, $80 thousand stolen, takes 3 months to sentence for 48 months to serve for a bank teller.

69 counts, millions stolen, takes 36 months to sentence for 30 months to serve for a filthy rich pharmacist.

Judge, you something else.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

What an idiot Clinton was (and whomever advised him) to appoint Sands to the judgeship. I cannot believe some of sentences he hands down. I wonder where he got his law degree and when, or guess I should say "how", but then that would be "a horse of a different color" and I know which end he would be, in my opinion.

Gabrielblows 1 year, 8 months ago

Federal Judges are extremely limited in their sentencing power. They have to follow the Sentencing Guidelines of the Federal Judicial Code, which provides mandatory sentences for just about every crime you can think of. It's not Judge Sand's fault. Complain to your Congressmen/Women. They write the laws!

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh? Then explain to me why he gave Joseph W. Jordan (who was found guilty of charges in a federal court and faced up to 35 years in prison with 5 years of supervised release, with a possbility of fines totaling $1 MILLION dollars--according to federal guidelines) a slap on the wrist? I mean 15 months in federal prison and a slap...come on, you can come up with a better excuse than that. I guess bribery does pay, errr..I mean crime. Jordan was convicted of bribery in the Southwest Georgia Farm Credit scheme.

Amazed2 1 year, 8 months ago

Hopefully her sentence is contingent on her paying the money back! If she does not pay put her back in jail

spookj6 1 year, 8 months ago

No Picture, Wow!!!!!!! guess she must be one of yall fine people.