Squawk of the day - April 29, 2013

"Are baby-sitters extinct? There was a time when trustworthy kids could earn a few dollars while mom and dad went out. Now, mom and dad take the infants to church and restaurants and could care less about how their kids' behavior."

Comments

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm not sure if a situation in which Mom and Dad are present in the young child's life qualifies said situation as squawk-able. Especially if the parents are taking their child to church or out for a family dinner.

I believe squawker is missing the forest for the trees.

dickyboy 1 year, 5 months ago

Yea GG...they're some great kids out there.. the problem is that the parents pay for what we use to make them earn.. cell phone bills, car insurance etc..use to be paid by the kids extra money..

Hoodie 1 year, 5 months ago

Please don't take your kids to church the bible isn't for children! Rape Murder Incest nothing I want my kid reading or being taught!

1d2ec 1 year, 5 months ago

How about TV, School yards,songs you hear on Radio TV and movies, arguments in public,. This list could go on and on and how about that group that walking down the the street hiding under Hoodies?

JST 1 year, 5 months ago

You are correct Hoodie, the Bible does contain all those things just as life does. The Bible is just as relevant today as when written through the ages. The point you miss is that the Bible teaches you through these atrocities that you can be a better person and be saved. Regardless if you believe in The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost you can never deny that following the Ten Commandments will make you a better person and contributing member of society.

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 5 months ago

The Bible is painfully honest. I bet you have Premium Cable in your home, Hoodie, right? Well there you go. You get a lot worse crap on Premium Cable 24/7 than the honesty in the Bible.

Hoodie 1 year, 5 months ago

Haven't had a TV in over 2 years....The problem with the bible is the directions giving by GOD to murder others

lowercasejesus 1 year, 5 months ago

Ill get behind a ban on kids at nice restaurants. Get a baby sitter

ZCorp 1 year, 5 months ago

We live in much different times today. If I had children, I would do the same, kids are the leaders of tomorrow, stop complaining, and enjoy the moment.

waltspecht 1 year, 5 months ago

This is often the reason I choose one restaurant over another. I do not mind well behaved, controlled children. I do mind children whose parents let them run all over the restaurant and management says nothing. I mind a screaming child that the Parent just ignores while the other patrons suffer. Again with no managerial involvement. I don't go out all that often, but when I do I expect to be able to enjoy my meal and my time in the restaurant. Catering to families is one thing, ignoring problems that are running your patrons off is another entirely. Are these managers afraid of the confrontation, or the law suit?

bigbob 1 year, 5 months ago

Bottom line is the kids are not the problem the parents are. If they were raised right they are a pleasure to be around. About half of kids today are for child support & only seem as a way to get paid.

agirl_25 1 year, 5 months ago

BINGO bigbob, on the "bottom line" comment. Way to go.

daisymae 1 year, 5 months ago

Are you really complaining that parents take their children to church ? You have got to be kidding (I won't put what I really thought), aside from their parents, how else are they supposed to learn how to treat other people, learn about the Bible, and learn about God and Jesus? I do agree that parents do not discipline enough. I took my kids everywhere with me (church, restaurants) they behaved like little ladies. If parents do not teach their children how to act, the children grow up not knowing any better.

Jimboob 1 year, 5 months ago

After my grandson got upon the coffee table to do a little dance I told my daughter-in-law that she couldn't expect the kids to behave differently at home and away... I wonder how those kids are doing now. It's been years...

Bulldawg 1 year, 5 months ago

You get what you raise. If the parents act like kids, then the parents can't expect much different from their kids.

sad_for_albany 1 year, 5 months ago

I suspect the squawker is really sawing concerning church is taking infants and young children into the worship service instead of using the nursery. It is hard to have a worshipful attitude with crying and playing going on. The children can learn about God in a setting that is more for their level of attention and understanding.

oldster 1 year, 5 months ago

Disruptive behavior in children can and should be corrected. However I would urge people to consider being more tolerant of children in church. There is a little known paragraph in the Old Testament from the prophet Joel that says mothers bring your children to church, even babies at the breast.

I would suggest that a church congregation without babies is a dying congregation.

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 5 months ago

Parents need to take they chilrunns to church for that is the only place today to hear these important, life giving words:

Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of discipline will remove it far from him. from Proverbs. God Said It!

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

*#1 babysitters cost too much money. #2 The good babysitters are probably at church themselves, so they can't babysit #3 The children should be in church themselves #4 as Bulldawg & BigBob stated above, the parents are the problem. If you have bad parents, you're probably gonna have bad kids.

agirl_25 1 year, 5 months ago

Just how much do babysitters get an hour around SoWeGA? I guess the more important question is: do teenage kids still babysit? My granddaughters are all grown now and either in college or graduated, but when they did babysit, about 3-4 years ago, the youngest told me she was paid $10 an hour!! I was shocked. She said that was what she was offered and was the norm for her area, a large university town.

erock 1 year, 5 months ago

I've seen some kids who behave better than the parents.

Bulldawg 1 year, 5 months ago

Well, then they must be the exception. Stupid is is stupid does generally.

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

You know the saying "Do as we say, not as we do".

chinaberry25 1 year, 5 months ago

The only problem is that they do not get any better as they age. We were at Longhorns the other nite and 2 girls 10 and 12 came running by us like they was on fire to the restroom. Maybe they had to go, but as they came out they started running back to their table. I do know that the parents are to blame for this behavior. They are taught better in school so they do know better. The schools cannot undo the damage parents inflict or teach their children. But all said and done, the parents probably do not know any better either. They bring children into the world and expect everyone else to deal with them.

mercat13 1 year, 5 months ago

There's a great line in the movie "Parental Guidance" that Billy Crystal delivers after he has chased a grandchild to the front of a packed auditorium. He has raised his hand above the child's rear-end and the audience gasps getting his attention when he states: "these kids hear everything but the word NO." He's right! Being a parent means being responsible for the care of someone other than yourself. On a more positive note, this past weekend. I actually overheard children giving the Blessing before the meal at their table, restoring my faith in that there still are some parents who teach honorable values.

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 5 months ago

If, as parents, you don't "smoke them baby draws" about oncet per week, they gone grow up an disrespeck you and act up permanently. See "Jail Report" section of this paper for proof.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

If you eat at a family restaurant, expect kids to be present. I'm having a hard time thinking of fine-dining establishments in Albany.