Jets release Tebow, ending strange 1-year relationship

Tim Tebow completed just six of eight passes last season for the Jets and failed to make an impact offensively.

Tebow arrived at the team facility Monday for voluntary workouts and was informed in a meeting with general manager John Idzik and coach Rex Ryan that he would officially be waived.

"We have a great deal of respect for Tim Tebow," Ryan said Monday. "Unfortunately, things did not work out the way we all had hoped. Tim is an extremely hard worker, evident by the shape he came back in this offseason. We wish him the best moving forward."

In what direction Tebow moves is anyone's guess. He will be on the waiver wire at 4 p.m. ET Monday.

An offense must be tailored to his shortcomings as a pocket passer and, barring a reunion with former Broncos' coordinator Mike McCoy -- now the head coach of the San Diego Chargers -- or a possible utility role in New England, Tebow might be forced to consider a position change or Canadian Football League opportunities.

Patriots' coach Bill Belichick is not only a fan of all-purpose veterans but is a close friend of Tebow's coach at Florida, Urban Meyer. Because of that relationship, the Patriots already have a detailed understanding of Tebow's strengths and where he might fit on a very solid roster.

If Tebow isn't claimed via waivers, the Jets will be docked $1.45 million against the salary cap.

The Jets drafted Geno Smith in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft. The 39th overall pick joins Mark Sanchez, David Garrard, Greg McElroy and undrafted free agent Matt Simms on the quarterback depth chart.

Tebow was acquired via trade in March 2012 from the Denver Broncos as a read-option weapon the team would use as a complement to Sanchez, a dropback passer, under offensive coordinator Tony Sparano. The 25-year-old had resurrected a 1-4 team and guided them to the AFC West title and a playoff win over the Pittsburgh Steelers the previous season. He became expendable in Denver when Peyton Manning signed a five-year deal with the Broncos.

But the Tebow experiment never made it out of the lab in New York.

His main role was on special teams. Whereas Tebow had 660 rushing yards, six touchdowns and averaged 5.4 yards per carry in Denver in 2012, he had just 32 rushing attempts for 102 yards and completed six of eight passes last season for the Jets.

Tebow's roster spot with the Jets was in peril when the Jets fired Sparano and general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who orchestrated the move for Tebow.

Comments

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 8 months ago

I knew that the cruel, hell-bound yankees in NYC would not accept Tebow. Who would want a guy who's a leader on and off the field, somebody with character and personal integrity, somebody who came off the bench and led the Broncos to a playoff berth his first season, who out-works everybody else on the team? I mean who'd want a guy like that?

WJReady 1 year, 8 months ago

REALLY A SWEET POSITION TO TAKE, but that is not how you build a team and hire players... Secondly, you are way off base to think he is the best guy in the locker room or on the field, he is just another guy...

Engineer 1 year, 8 months ago

Maybe he'll get lucky and get grabbed by a team that will actually use him. I know quite a few people in SE Georgia and NE Florida that would love to see him (and go to games) playing back at home for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Although last I heard, the new leadership in Jacksonville is against it, so who knows.

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

I heard also that the Jaguars GM said they had no plans to get Tebow, even though I feel he would help in increasing attendance at their home games.

WJReady 1 year, 8 months ago

I thought attendence was based on win's versus's losses, the more wins the more people in attendence. I GUESS the stadium will sell out to watch TEBOW hold a clipboard, how absurd...

Jax 1 year, 8 months ago

No. Attendance is based on the number of people that buy tickets. No matter what you think of his talent, you can't deny his ability to draw interest, especially in Jacksonville.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

I would imagine once the novelty wears off, say week 8, attendance would drop off.

WJReady 1 year, 8 months ago

Engineer you said It maybe he will GET LUCKY, HIS whole career seems to be built on that Lucky Thing...

WJReady 1 year, 8 months ago

They have found him, The Lingerie Bowl wants him to be the Quarterbacks Coach... I am sure he will pass, but that is how it is, Tebow Time... Obviously, a good fit as he will be more than appropriate in that league and the Players WILL NOT have to worry about sexual harrasment...

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 8 months ago

Most sports watching for me has become about "pulling against somebody" rather than for somebody due to what money has done to college and pro sports. Thank you, NY Jets for giving me reason to pull against you next season. I hope you lose 'em all.

WJReady 1 year, 8 months ago

Tebow is NOT qualified to be a NFL caliber quarterback, SAD BUT TRUE...

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

More qualified than you.

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 8 months ago

WTFwtf and WJReady..........same person. A Hater of God and all that is Good apparently.

WJReady 1 year, 8 months ago

Ms. Ruby, You use language THAT I do not use, wtf means something I do not preach or use in conversation. Now I realize the kid is very much a Christian and most likely a very good person, but NOT A NFL PLAYER FOR SURE... Lets see how many teams are trying to sign him, lingerie league as already made a offer, whoyah... I do like pretty women for sure!

My kids as well as I were brought up without all the profanity that you seem to like to use, not SURPRISED... Good Luck in your future, mine is very bright.

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 8 months ago

A mine is a terrible thing..........

And I truly pity your kids if they picked up any of ther personal values from YOU.

Profanity??? Not a bit............

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

He has played more NFL games than you ever will.

WJReady 1 year, 8 months ago

Love It, I am a Whack Job, finally found my calling and position in life. Yours we are still questioning, definitely not a blogger on the Herald, too One sided. No peripherial vision.....

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

I love Tebow as a person and a role model for today's youth, but I don't think he has it to be a starting QB in the league. We see what Denver did with a good QB this past year. I hope he stays in the league and continues to be a shining light and positive influence on people.

WJReady 1 year, 8 months ago

Sherwood, You have common sense and at least some understanding of the NEXT level, college to NFL, two different planets. I like TEBOW but not the Gators and realize how good of a person he is and the life he leads, but that does not put him in Tom Bradys(example) shoes. Some on here think he is that and THEY ARE SOOOOOO WRONG... The truth is the truth, cannot change that unless you lie.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

Tebow has an incredible work ethic and is the definition of "character guy," but just isn't good enough to be a starter. He could get a lot more snaps if he were to accept a move to a different position. There are so many quality QB's right now, I just can't think of a team for which he should start.

Again, he is an incredible human being and such a positive role model that I would hate to see him left off a roster in 2013.

dickyboy 1 year, 8 months ago

The NFL prefers pocket passers...scramblers have to be more accurate than Tim.

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 8 months ago

Scramblers have a short NFL lifespan. Ask RG3 about it.