Sunday caps deadly weekend in Southwest Georgia

Three people have been killed in weekend shootings in Southwest Georgia

NEWTON, Ga. — Three people were killed in shootings over the weekend in Southwest Georgia communities.

The latest, the shooting death of 29-year-old Dusty Carroll near Moultrie, stemmed from an altercation, Special Agent-in-Charge Steve Turner of the Thomasville office of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said.

Carroll was hospitalized and taken to a hospital in Macon, where he later died from his injuries. Turner said the investigation was ongoing and that charges are pending the results of the GBI’s preliminary investigation.

Carroll’s death is the latest among an unusually high number of murders in Colquitt County. Coroner Verlyn Brock couldn’t recount how many murders have occurred in Moultrie so far this year.

“We’ve had more than our fair share,” he said. “It’s been way too many, I can tell you that. We’ve got more than y’all, and we’ve got less than half the population.”

Sunday night, Baker County Sheriff’s deputies responded to reports of a shooting and found Charlie Backey suffering from a gunshot wound. He was taken to a medical facility in Miller County and was later flown by helicopter to a hospital in Tallahassee, Fla., where he eventually died from his injuries.

Baker County Sheriff Dana Meade said Monday afternoon that one person, Walter Lee Shiloh, had been detained related to the case.

“It was an argument that escalated, and someone got shot,” Meade said.

Charges are pending the results of an autopsy and completion of the investigation.

Christopher Raphael Sears was shot and killed in Tifton on Friday. Investigators say he and a female passenger were stopped in their vehicle near the intersection of Third and Short streets when he was approached and fired upon. The passenger survived the attack but sustained injuries.

Tift County Sheriff’s Office officials said Monday that the investigation is ongoing.

Comments

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

Too many shootings and killings over simple arguments. People just don't have the ability to just shrug it off and leave it alone. They always have to get a gun and shoot and kill the other person. So is their life going to improve now that they killed the other person?

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

If only we had more people with guns these senseless killings could have been prevented.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 5 months ago

Sher why not ask how many of these guns were legal? It is BS spreaders like you that are clouding the issue. Criminals with guns will not ask for any kind if background check they don’t need one to buy one out of a trunk. Please put your BUTT where your mouth is, post your home address because you are so sure you will be safe when the criminal world knows you are anti-gun. PUT UP or SHUT UP

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

I think that doing that would be as smart as posting on Facebook that you just bought a new assault rifle. Please remind me of a time when I posted that I want to ban all guns?

I simply pointed out another murder with a gun as the weapon of choice.

Did you bother to go to the website I posted?

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

Guns isn't the issue. The human mind is the issue. If he had a knife, he would have stabbed and killed him. If he had a baseball bat, he probably would have beaten the guys brains out. Funny how people think not having guns will end violence and killings.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

Not necessarily. There is a big difference between someone using a gun to kill or a knife.

Please remind me of a post when I wrote that I want to ban guns?

I simply pointed out another murder with a gun as the weapon of choice.

Did you bother to go to the website I posted?

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

Your post reeked of sarcasm saying if only we had more guns these killings would stop. If one gets killed by a knife, is he any less dead than if he was killed by a gun? How many guns were used at the Boston Bombings? Guns is not the only issue this country faces.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes, my post was dripping with sarcasm, however I was not implying, nor have I ever stated, that the answer is to ban all guns.

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 5 months ago

There is no way to stop this senseless killing. S_E_A if you took away all the guns from the law abiding people who were willing to give them up........who could get a gun? Yes, the same person who now buys crack out of the trunk of a car or does anything else illegal. Did Prohibition tell you NOTHING? Did the failed "War on Drugs" tell you NOTHING?

Your "education" did not cure your naïveté, did it? Maybe you should try to get some money back.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

The excuse of, "criminals won't follow the law," is not a valid reason to stop trying to make the world safer from violence.

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 5 months ago

But it IS a valid reason not to go to sleep at night after passing TEN BILLION LAWS and thinking you've made some kind of difference in the mind of a criminal.

fcarroll 1 year, 5 months ago

There is more than one way for a criminal to commit murder there does not always have to be with a gun. Sherwood, go to work in an Emergency Dept for at least a month then you will see what goes on without a gun being involved. I worked in healhcare for 20 yrs. you would be surprised at what you see.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 5 months ago

Sher PUT UP or SHUT UP post your home address as a gun free zone.

Why do you smear all law abiding gun owners because of the actions of a few? YOU try to use the heinous acts of a few crazed men to infringe on the rights of ALL other law abiding citizens.

PUT UP or SHUT UP post your gun free home address.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

Seeing the hateful reactions of you and other "regulars" on here does nothing but solidify my position because it proves to me that you are basing your opinion on feelings and not reason or facts.

Please remind me of a post when I wrote that I want to ban guns?

Did you bother to go to the website I posted?

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

Fact is, guns are not the biggest problem this country has.

stc1993 1 year, 5 months ago

Ive noticed this the last few times I've came on here reading the posts. Sherwood is turning into a troll just pulling your chains. I remember when he 1st started posting on this site he wasn't like this. I've been reading the posts for a long time.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

If posing questions or making statements to challenge the accepted norm on this website labels me a "troll', then I guess I am guilty as charged.

If someone can convince me I am wrong, or that there is a better way to handle an issue, them I will change my mind. I have changed my mind many-a-time. (And no, I am not a woman) :)

If you want me to troll, I can definitely be a troll. The grammar on here is atrocious.

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 5 months ago

Why not just "Murder Statistics" which would be much more interesting if you had half a brain to ingest the contents without a predetermined BIAS.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

Did you bother to visit the website and read the contents?

erock 1 year, 5 months ago

I have never seen a gun of any sort load itself, take the safety off, point and fire itself. There is always a human in the equation. If gun production worldwide were to cease immediately the problem would only get worse. Why you ask? It's human nature. My gun's not working right, but Joe Blow up the block just bought a brand new Sig Sauer and I'm fixing to go make it mine. Never mind the fact that I've known this guy since kindergarten, I's got to get me a new gun. If the justice system would start dealing with the thugs the way chicken farmers deal with an egg sucking dog, only then will we turn the corner.

TRUTH101 1 year, 5 months ago

Shrug.....I have never seen a marijuana plant grow it self, nor have I seen it sell or buy itself, and I don't recall ever seeing one smoke itself........BUT IT IS STILL ILLEGAL......I am not for a complete ban of guns but please come with a better argument other than"guns don't kill; people with guns do......"

Gollygee 1 year, 5 months ago

You've never seen a plant just start growing without any human interaction? Have you been to a wooded area before? Ever had to "weed" your flower beds?

TRUTH101 1 year, 5 months ago

That first comment was rather dumb of me...... But you get my point......lol

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

I've got a gun and I haven't shot and killed anyone. The problem is the wrong people have the guns, and I imagine 99% of those wrong people have one illegally.

RedEric 1 year, 5 months ago

Prior to the 14th amendment when people were personally responsible for their own actions we didn't have probation violators, people with long rap sheets, multiple offenders running around amongst us. Perps were punished, end of that story. We replaced personal Responsibility with laws. Millions of laws that criminals can hide behind. Criminals cannot have guns. Yet they do have them. How many perps have gun possession time added to their sentence? It is usually plea bargained away. Then what use is that law Sherwood? Why add more laws that criminals are not going to obey? It is a silly arguement.

waltspecht 1 year, 5 months ago

The way to stop a human from doing something is to make it too expensive for them to continue that behavior. You do not find that many people petting a Rattlesnake. Some nuts and Religious zealots excepted. Why? Most have never been bit, yet they fear the consequences of that act enough that they aren't going to preform it. To get these folks not to misuse a weapon, you have to convince them the consequences outweigh the pleasure derived from the act. Laws without teeth accomplish nothing. Plus if the bite is mild enough, some folks won't even learn of the first go round. America has more incarcerated individuals than any other Country. Something that might relate to the mindset of Americans, or the comforts of our behavioral modification facilities might be too inviting.

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 5 months ago

Upon further reflection......I think the use of the word "caps" in the article headline was unfortunate.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

That was pretty punny, I mean funny, sis.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 5 months ago

Sher no I missed your website. But knowing your sarcasm it had to be really fact based and enlightening. Your sarcasm is based on your personal ideas and NOT on the facts. In truth the more Legal guns there are the less gun violence there is. You are trying to demean Legal gun owners with your sarcasm, when in fact you should be thanking us. If it were not for the numerous Legal gun owners you would be an easy victim. You can revel in your sarcasm now but just remember your sarcastic joy if you ever have to stare down the barrel of a gun. Staring down a gun barrel will be one of the most sobering things in your life. I know! …..You are more than welcome NOT to own or carry a gun but some of us believe it evens the odds to carry a gun when you may have to face a criminal. I personally know just the hint of a CC gun is enough to change a person’s intentions toward you.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

As I have said many times, I don't want the government to take away your guns, unless you pose a threat to me or my family (i.e. mental unstability, criminal activity, documented anger management problems...etc.) I don't want anyone without proper training to be able to purchase a weapon that can fire at a high rate (automatic) or can fire massive amounts of bullets without reloading (assault rifles or high capacity magazines.)

Don't take my initial sarcastic post as me taking this situation lightly. That was me poking fun at the notion that more guns make us safer. I simply don't believe there is a positive correlation between more legal guns and a safer society.