DCSS suspends Westover teacher for seven days without pay

Bryan Haas

Bryan Haas

ALBANY, Ga. — Westover High School science teacher and assistant soccer coach Bryan Haas has been suspended without pay for seven days.

Haas is the third Dougherty County School System employee to have been suspended over the past four weeks.

In a suspension letter hand delivered to Haas last Wednesday, DCSS interim Superintendent Butch Mosely wrote:

“On April 23, your principal, Mr. William Chunn, informed me of several instances where your conduct was inappropriate. You were cited for a disrespectful comment made to a student, a lack of classroom control and failure to comply with administration two times.

“Because of your inappropriate actions, you will be suspended without pay for seven working days. Your suspension without pay will begin April 25, 2013. You can return to work on May 6, 2013.”

Haas can ask for a hearing before a board tribunal, but according to Chunn Haas began his suspension as scheduled last Thursday.

This is Haas’s second suspension with the Dougherty County School System. According to Mosely’s letter, Haas was also sent home for five days in October of 2011 for using profanity in the classroom.

“Mr. Haas, if there are any incidents in the future, you will face serious consequences and possible termination,” Mosely’s letter concluded. “I trust there will be no further problems.”

Comments

Bulldawg 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Sounds like this guy needs a little attatootalude adjustment. How unprofessional to be cussing at your kids in the classroom.

RedEric 11 months, 3 weeks ago

What constitutes a disrespectful comment from a teacher to a student?

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 3 weeks ago

For example, you cannot attempt to quiet students by hollering "Shut The F... Up!"

It's not professional.

AuntieDee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I've heard he has said much worst.

bubbasmithredneck 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I hope "Terry the Terrible" has his facts straight this time......I wonder how much of this story is true, and how much is fiction.....hmmmmm

MRKIA 11 months, 3 weeks ago

IF HAAS HAS ALREADY STARTED HIS SUSPENSION AND APPARENTLY NOT GOING TO APPEAL WHAT REASON IS THERE TO DOUBT THE VERACITY OF THIS STORY?

Bulldawg 11 months, 3 weeks ago

So would that make you Bubba the bozo?

KaosinAlbany 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I am sure Terry is really offended by your new name for him.

dickyboy 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Hey BSR....Terry just don't make this stuff up...BTW we're talking about a honky here...

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Terry shines his 50,000 watt searchlight down the bung hole of willfull ignorance around these parts.

stc1993 11 months, 3 weeks ago

It's a shame they can't just fire these sorry teachers. This is his 2nd hand slap, he should of been fired after the 1st.

chinaberry25 11 months, 3 weeks ago

This person is a great teacher and I cannot understand what happened. There is more than they are telling. What did the student do and say. Until you have been in a classroom with some of these students you cannot understand. You actually spend $1000 of taxpayers money to get one of the thugs out of jail and now you suspend a teacher for doing his job. Go figure.

FryarTuk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

"This person is a great teacher . . ." Not hardly.

"There is more than they are telling. " It should be told if you know something.

If this guy has any capacity to teach with his demeanor, he should become a DI in the USM. The problem which contributes to his inadequacies is DCSS has absolutely crippled support systems for instructors, academically or professionally. There is more here than just immaturity.

PatrickY2K 11 months, 3 weeks ago

If this article is all you know about this teacher, then please do not comment on his teaching ability. You know part of one side of the story - you don't know what was said, or what provoked it. I'm not defending him because I wasn't there - he should not be condemned in the court of public opinion for the same reason.

FryarTuk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

He's a repeat offender. You have to understand that if he can't learn propriety from being admonished, he can't teach it. As W says: " fool me once shame on you, if you fool me cant get fooled again."

chinaberry25 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Took the words out of my mouth. He is a good teacher and unless you have ever been a teacher you have no idea. This kids most likely taught him how to cuss.

AuntieDee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Really? A "Great Teacher?" YOu've got to be kidding. He's had several instances where his conduct was inappropriate.

How great of a teacher is he if he has been written up twice for the same thing. Sounds like a stupid teacher to me. He should have learned from the first mistake.

VSU 11 months, 3 weeks ago

"It is not a teacher's job to be disrespectful regardless of what the child did. You must discipline with dignity."

You mean like when that school principal or assistant principal at Monroe grabbed one of the students that was fighting and threw them to the ground?

AuntieDee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

That's exactly what I mean VSU. Regardless, children are human and they are due the same respect. How would you like it if someone threw your child to the ground and/or cussed him or her? I guess what you're saying is it's okay for students to be treated inhumane if they are acting inhumane.

VSU 11 months, 3 weeks ago

No that is not what I am saying. I was just wondering if you felt the same way about that incident as you do this incident.

chinaberry25 11 months, 3 weeks ago

BTW, he is a science teacher, so he will have no problem getting a job.

FryarTuk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Maybe in the reformatory or USM as a DI

AuntieDee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

You must not have heard of the Georgia Professional Standards Commission? If they revoke your certificate you won't get hired anywhere.

chinaberry25 11 months, 3 weeks ago

You have 49 other states to go to. Yes, he teaches physics, and I had a professor at GSW who cussed like a sailor, so what. You allowed and said nothing much about the teacher who hit the child, and she just lost her job and it was not for hitting the child. Go to the web site that is rated by kids and Monroe High students liked him.

AuntieDee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

The other 49 states will review your records as well. If they had any decency about themselves and cared about the character of their staff they would not hire a teacher with such a negative disposition.

Sure students usually like the kind of teachers that cuss and allow them to do the same. They feel like equals.

WeAreThey 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Is this news worth reporting - in the public's interest? I think the public is catching onto the fact that the interim superintendent and the school board are doing their jobs. One or two more like this one and the horse will be thoroughly beaten.

Perhaps the Herald can now send Mr. Lewis, and his passion for public service reporting, right on over to 3rd Avenue. There are far more victims to speak for who are just as helpless.

FryarTuk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

"Is this news worth reporting - in the public's interest? " Unquestionably proper news. Particularly with DCSS sweeping things under the rug. Shame and humiliation can be productive for people with the ability to change. Not the best way but seems like that's where the instructor is.

bubbasmithredneck 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Good Point "wearethey".......I totally agree, This crap needs to stay outta the paper headlines. Thats why this pitiful paper is so thin you can slice bread with it everyday. Its thin and starving.....its needs food, or should I say, "scandal" to survive.......Nobody wants to advertise with a paper that attacks educators with sometimes exaggerated information.

FryarTuk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Hey, people don't want their names in the paper, behave!

waltspecht 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I still want to know how many days suspension a Student gets for cursing at a Teacher? How many days do they get for being disruptive? How many days for being repeatedly late? What is being done to control the 10% of the Students that routinely steal learning time from the other students? If you go after Teachers, you better go after the students with equal vigor. No, the alternative school isn't the answer, because it hasn't changed the ethics or attitudes of any attending.

FryarTuk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I want to know that too. But it is irrelevant to the story.

Terry.Lewis 11 months, 3 weeks ago

The link below is policy in reference to student conduct. Now whether policy is followed or not is another matter. Mosely seems intent on enforcing policy.

AuntieDee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Amen. And he needs to enforce policy. Good job Butch!

waltspecht 11 months, 3 weeks ago

It is relevant in that it says equal justice for all. Terry, thanks for p[osting the Policy. However if you go back through old answers to squawks from Teachers you are correct in wondering if the Policy is even followed. Seems I recollect comments like the Teacher is at fault, not the student. Plus the potential loss of funding for out of school suspension, or throwing them out of the system. Now I just go on posted comments, and the occasional conversation with a working educator. So I can't swear it is gospel. By the way, DI's have cleaned up their act considerably from what is portrayed on TV and retained in our memories. Heck, even NAVY CHIEFS have had to clean up their conversational english.

RedEric 11 months, 3 weeks ago

A lot of people I know came home after Basic and asked someone at the family table to pass the F-ing butter. That was after the Drill Sargents warned us it would happen.

FryarTuk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Maybe this guy has battle fatigue or PTSD from teaching in the DCSS trench warfare. I'll bet that's it. From some of the videos I've seen they could possibly earn battle ribbons.

AuntieDee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

All of these are valid questions. However, you won't get any answers because administrators just slap students on the hand and send them back to the classroom. They don't want to deal with the irate parents who will cuss them out when they find out their child has been suspended or paddled.

ALternative school is a joke in DCSS. It takes an act of congress to a student in that program. They need to pump more money into STAR and let them do their job. They need more staff and the ability to enforce real boot camp rules and regulations. These defiant students have it too easy.

Terry.Lewis 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Auntie, STAR has a proposal before the board to boost their staff from two to five. We'll have to see what happens there.

AuntieDee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I read that article earlier up in the week. I totally agree with STAR. Butch Mosley seems to agree with them as well. There are really times when students need this type of discipline. Parents nor administrators are taking discipline seriously. Someone needs the authority to do it,

VSU 11 months, 3 weeks ago

bubbalouie says "This crap needs to stay outta the paper headlines"

I think the public has a right to know what is going on with their local schools, whether it's teachers, principals, secretary or whatever. It's the newspapers job to report news and that is what they are doing. Don't sweep things under the rug, get things out in the open for everybody to see.

wisewoman 11 months, 3 weeks ago

For the record, he did not cuss at a student the first time he was suspended. He cussed in front of a student. In fact, I am not sure if the word he used is even considered a cuss word anymore..."quit your bitchin!" Is that considered cussing? For the second offense, it involved a student eating chips in the classroom which is against school rules. However this student has "behavior issues" and teachers are not supposed to provoke the student...these students are not babies. They are high school students, some 18 years old. No, it is not professional to cuss in front of students. But, I can in most cases the teacher was cussed at first.

AuntieDee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

It certainly wasn't professional regardless of what the student said to him. The teacher has to portray the better person. If he uses such language then he's no different than the disrespectful student.

AuntieDee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Some of ya'll didn't seem to have a problem when Dr. Thomas, Dr. JAmes and Mr. Pressely's misfortunes were broadcasted in the newspaper. All of sudden now, this is news not worthy of reporting. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Why not report it? It's news!

VSU 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Your friend bubbasmith is the main one against these stories being put in the news.

AuntieDee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I could care less who about that VSU. I stand alone in my comments. I voice my own opinion. I say what I feel. My thoughts and words are my own.

I see your friend Chinaberry seems to think Haas should be "Teacher of the Year" since she says he's such a superfantastic teacher.

agirl_25 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I must have missed the Drs. Thomas and James comments and the inference to Pressley. Can you tell me what that is in reference to, Auntie Dee?

AuntieDee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I believe you got my drift the first time. But I don't mind breaking it down for you..Those were black educators who were recently in the news. There were many negative comments about their misfortunes. But no one commented that those articles should not have been reported in the media. Now, you have two caucasian educators who have committed infractions and several of these comments are saying that their misfortunes should not have been reported. One even said that it was not newsworthy. Really?

VSU 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Once again, your close friend bubbasmith was leading the charge against the stories being printed. Whether you care less or not, it is what it is. Quit making it a racial issue.

carter1971 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I know personally that the students in his class have a behavior problem. They disrespect him, bully him so I wasn't surprise that he said what he supposedly said. One day when he was out the kids were so out of hand the substitute got up and walked out.

Its not right that these kids can do and say whatever they want to an adult and when the adult say something back they want to get them suspended or fired. Butch Mosely needs a reality check and he needs to come and sit in these classroom with these disruptive students that do not have respect for anyone including him.

chinaberry25 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Carter, I substitute and I am the one taking up for this teacher. The kids at Westover are just as bad as any other school. At least at Dougherty you can usually talk them down, but guess again about Westover. You could not pay me $100,000 per year to teach at any DCSS. The students talk, cuss, eat, try to have sex cheat and lie all in one day in any classroom. Every year they are getting worse. They are allowed to roam the halls, skip class and nothing is ever done. They know just how many days they have left in the school year to miss and you can bet they will take them. I cannot image this ever happening in Lee Co. By the way, several years ago a 9th graver was having sex with four boys at Westover during lunch. And have we forgotten the rape in the auditorium.

AuntieDee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Not only can I imagine these issues at Lee County High I know for a fact that these things happen. I have a friend whose child goes to school there . They sweep a lot under the carpet over there. She tells many horror stories of kids getting in trouble there, mostly for drug use. But their parents have money and friends in high places which usually can keep their troubles out of the media. All these things that you saw happening in these classrooms while you were substituting, did you report them? BTW... about the rape in the auditorium...We didn't forget it. It wasn't really rape. The girl got caught and had to come up with a lie to try to save herself. She didn't want her parents to know she had jungle fever.

VSU 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I agree with carter1971, Mosely needs to do more than discipline the teachers, it's time they start taking control of the students. If they are unruly and disruptive, he needs to look at getting them sent home and suspended. There was a time when the principal would put a paddle to your behind and whack you good. The big problem is the parent will take up for their unruly child and blame the school system.

Terry.Lewis 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Actually, that's where the principals come into play. I think we are also going see some movement in this area soon since Mosely has expressed great concern about discipline in our schools. The policies are in place, they simply need to be followed.

bubbasmithredneck 11 months, 3 weeks ago

what's the policy for newspaper editors not being honest????

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months, 3 weeks ago

The teacher needs to be the adult and show restraint when getting frustrated with students...in my opinion. Anyone ever worked customer service? This would get you fired if you worked for me.

I commend Mr. Mosley for laying down the law. He might be what DoCo schools need to change the culture.

FryarTuk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

So far so good! His 3% comment still bugs me. It's evident that was just bs for consoling the hoi polloi at the meeting.

MRKIA 11 months, 3 weeks ago

THE RESPONSIBILITY OF PARENTS REGARDING THE BEHAVIOR OF THEIR CHILDREN WHILE IN SCHOOL DOES NOT END THE MOMENT A STUDENT STEPS ON THE BUS. AS A PARENT I HAVE ALWAYS ENDEAVORED TO SEND MY CHILD TO SCHOOL PREPARED TO LEARN AND INSTILL IN THEM THE PROPER RESPECT FOR THEIR TEACHERS. MY KIDS KNEW THERE WAS A LINE DRAWN AND FOR THEM TO CROSS IT WAS TREADING ON DANGEROUS GROUND. KIDS WILL DO ALMOST ANYTHING IF THEY DON'T FEAR CONSEQUENCES AND IT NEES TO START AT HOME.

bubbasmithredneck 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Mosley suspended another teacher from Albany Early College .......why hasn't the terrible one posted that crap too???

Terry.Lewis 11 months, 3 weeks ago

WALB posted it this afternoon. Thought you might get a kick out of biting their ankles first :)

MIdfieldchew 11 months, 3 weeks ago

BR yearns to go back to the good old days of non-transparency and the status quo. This is not about the children to him. This is about keeping Dougherty County's largest jobs program humming along.

FryarTuk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

It has to be about the students and that hasn't been a part of DCSS strategy for over a decade.