Arrest made for aggravated assault on Albany police officers

Husband and wife detained after the husband fired shots toward police

Photo by J.D. Sumner

Photo by J.D. Sumner

ALBANY — A husband and wife were detained on Nov. 23 after eight officers and two hostage negotiation personnel talked the husband down after the husband fired toward the law enforcement officers, reports from the Albany Police Department show.

Reports show police responded to 306 Sixth Ave. in regards to a firearm being discharged just before 9 p.m. En route, officers were advised that the suspect had been identified as Timothy Johnson, 39, and that the complainant said he had fired five shots, and that he was carrying a flashlight saying he wanted to shoot someone. While there were several officers attempting to make contact, Johnson was seen turning the flashlight on and off before going back inside the residence from the back porch.

The report was released by police Monday.

The narrative of the report further states that officers knocked on the door several times and began to give verbal commands to Johnson to come outside and talk. Johnson refused, and turned off his porch light. It was at this point a command was given to call out the SWAT Team, and for additional units to help secure the perimeter. APD Deputy Chief Mark Scott, APD Capt. Angel Bradford and the agency’s gang unit were among those who responded.

Several neighbors and juveniles reported hearing gunshots. Approximately eight officers and two hostage negotiations personnel responded to make contact with Johnson, the report said.

At some point, entry was made into the home and Johnson fired several shots in the direction of the 10 officers going into the home. No injuries were reported, said Phyllis Banks, spokeswoman for the APD.

After contact was made with Johnson and his wife, Vanessa Leverette-Johnson, 33, the two walked out of the residence. They were detained and transported to the APD Law Enforcement Center. Timothy Johnson was ultimately arrested and charged with 10 counts of aggravated assault against police officers on duty.

In a separate aggravated assault incident, Lasha Lennear was arrested Friday after turning herself in following an incident involving a bat. She was initially facing an aggravated assault against a police officer charge, which was later dropped, Banks said.

Nothing further was available on the second incident by press time on Monday.