0

Albany officials investigate fatal fire on Sunday

A man and his dog dead following Albany fire

A fire at 708 Dartmouth Lane that took place early Sunday is believed to have started from the stove. A 33-year-old man died after being found in the home. (Submitted Photo: Albany Fire Department)

A fire at 708 Dartmouth Lane that took place early Sunday is believed to have started from the stove. A 33-year-old man died after being found in the home. (Submitted Photo: Albany Fire Department)

ALBANY — A call to a fire on Dartmouth Lane over the weekend resulted in the discovery of a man and his dog, both of whom have now died, in the bedroom of the structure, fire officials said Monday.

Both the Albany Fire Department and the Albany Police Department responded to 708 Dartmouth Lane at around 3:30 a.m. on Sunday. When firefighters got there, there were flames venting through the roof.

“It was pretty well involved when they got there,” said Albany Fire Chief James Carswell.

A neighbor indicated to firefighters there was still someone in the home. Firefighters found Nicholas Flewellen, 33, and his dog in the bedroom. Flewellen did not appear to be severely burned, but responders suspect he suffered from smoke inhalation. Emergency medical technicians worked on reviving him at the scene. He was later pronounced dead, Carswell said.

The dog died at the scene, the fire chief said.

An investigation revealed that the fire originated from the kitchen stove. Investigators believe Flewellen may have forgotten about having something on the stove. The fire was called in roughly two hours after Flewellen had borrowed some cooking oil from a neighbor, Carswell said.

The fire remains an ongoing investigation. Flewellen’s autopsy results were still pending on Monday.

Kitchen fires, specifically ones resulting from unattended food, are one of the main causes for fires in Dougherty County, the chief said.

“(We encourage people) to be more conscious of what they are doing … to take notice and be more careful,” Carswell said.