Squawk of the day - Feb. 4, 2013

"I’m past ready for some politician, movie star or athlete to make a comment, then stand on their own two feet when they come under fire for being politically incorrect and say without hesitation that they meant what they said. That you don’t have to agree but they are not apologizing. Whatever happened to free speech?"

Comments

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 2 months ago

When the person paying your salary tells you to recant, you recant. You aren't just speaking your mind, you are representing your employer.

More and more employers are holding employees accountable for things they post on Facebook as well. I was unfortunately involved in firing some employees for extremely hateful things they posted on Facebook.

trudy2 1 year, 2 months ago

Sometimes the truth hurts.

chinaberry25 1 year, 2 months ago

Unfortunately you or anyone else has to live with the consequences. Most are not willing to take that chance.

TRUTH101 1 year, 2 months ago

Drop the "y" and add "ies".........

Bulldawg 1 year, 2 months ago

Reminds me of english grammar class. :)

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

It's easy to see everybody was excited about today's squawk of the day. So excited in fact many forgot to leave a comment. Probably a record low. LOL!

Jax 1 year, 2 months ago

The squawker doesn't understand what free speech means. As long as the government doesn't come along and take you to jail or execute you for speaking your mind, you are enjoying freedom of speech. It's not that hard to understand.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

I have always enjoyed freedom of speech. Yes it has gotten me in trouble a few times (well more than a few). It got me a 5-year ban on flying with my favorite airline once but I waited them out. I found out the company had every right ban me for what I did but I would be damned if I would apologize for it. My time is up and I will also be damned if I will ever fly with them again. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing and I have always taught my children and grandchildren what a wonderful thing it is and when used properly and within the law, it is a powerful tool. One of my granddaughters is in law school now studying with emphasis on civil rights and I am proud of her and a grandson is graduating this spring and has chosen to go into tax law...he is going to join "da man" I guess but to each his own. Never ever give up your right to be heard, no matter what.

Jax 1 year, 2 months ago

What did you say to the airline folks? You can tell me; I won't tell anyone.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

JAX....It was Lufthansa, which is a German airline and as much as I love Germany and visit every year, what do you think of when you think of Germany? Well what is the first thing you think of when you think of Germany? The airline and I had a dispute and some words were exchanged.....sorta. At least I was not put on the NO ENTRY LIST when I entered the country and got my Visa stamp.....smile...and PS...I flew in on a different airline.