Breaking News

Lewis-Polite wins DCSS Teacher of the Year April 17, 2014

Man explains fatal shooting of pit bull

ALBANY, Ga. -- Fearing an attack on his neighbor by a pit bull already attacking the neighbor's pit bull, Paul Hughes said he fatally shot the attacking dog.

The pit bulls were fighting before 1:15 p.m. Saturday on the 1100 block of 11th Avenue. The dogs could not be separated and having owned pit bulls in the past, Hughes decided to take action.

"I have owned four pit bulls in my life. I know they are dangerous unpredictable dogs," Hughes said. "I went in and grabbed my gun and fired a warning shot. I fired it in the air, then I shot the dog."

According to Hughes, his neighbor, Nigel Jones, was walking his dog Sheba on a leash when a puppy pit bull came down the street and started barking at Sheba. He heard the noise from his home.

Quickly, an older female pit bull, Zola, the mother of the puppy, escaped from a house up the street and tore into Sheba, Hughes said. Jones said he did not antagonize the puppy or its mother.

Jones tried to pull his dog's leash to separate the dogs. He failed. That is when Hughes got his gun.

"Once a pit bull has done that, once they have tasted blood, they are a changed dog," Jones said. "I was more concerned about Nigel than the dog."

A man who said he lived at the same house with Zola's owner up the street from the dogfight, said it was a case of a mother dog protecting her puppy.

An Albany Police Department email stated that "an information-only report was done and a follow-up will be done by rabies control. No charges have been) filed against any of the parties involved."

Comments

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

The mother dog protecting her puppy, but the puppy was the one that started barking at the other dog. Typical in Albany. With humans, everytime a juvenile does bad, the mother parent blames the police or the other party to defend her child instead of scolding him for doing bad. It's always the other persons fault. So here, even a mother dog is attacking another dog, even though her puppy was in the wrong.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 2 months ago

Anybody who fires a rifle up into the air ain't got much smarts to begin with. Pretty stupid!

Albanite 1 year, 2 months ago

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 2 months ago

How does that make you any less of a "scumbag?"

Nous_Defions 1 year, 2 months ago

Paul Hughes is a coward who gets off on killing animals. He's clearly stupid. If it were my dog, I would hunt Hughes down and do the same to him - and maybe his family too.

That is a terroristic threat if I've ever heard one. Herald, do your civic duty and report this to the APD!

trudy2 1 year, 2 months ago

Gives you a clear picture of the Albany populace.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

What is it with the "men" (and I use that term lightly..hahahaha) in Albany and their desire to strut around town with pit bulls. Is it because of the lack of size or length of a certain appendage that makes you have to have a dog like that...are you proving to someone or to yourselves what a stud you are, what a tough guy you are, by parading around town with your tough dog? I bet you even do the tough walk too, you know the one where you sorta walk sideways, sorta swaying back and forth, with your hand sorta cupping your family jewels, or should I say tiny marbles. Excuse me while I go hurl.......yeah the thought of you makes me sick.

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

Well it could be worse, they could strut around town walking their toy poodle.

Remember the old Popeye cartoon where Popeye was walking a poodle for olive Oyl and Bluto came with his big bulldog bullying Popeye and the poodle. Ha! Ha! Ha!

chinaberry25 1 year, 2 months ago

He could have just as easily used a taser. A gun is a last resort, but the pitt bulls family was in the wrong.

Oldguy 1 year, 2 months ago

How many people do you know that own a Taser ? Perhaps a Ninja sword or a long pointed stick would have done the job also. That was a dumb statement on your part.

Oldguy 1 year, 2 months ago

Number one, the puppy and it's mother should have been under control by the owner. Number two, he should have fired the warning shot into the ground not into the air. Number three, I believe he was concerned that the fighting dogs could have harmed a person in this fight. Number four, have you ever tried to pull a pit bull off another dogs that it has attacked, impossible. I probably would have done the same thing except no warning shot.

waltspecht 1 year, 2 months ago

No matter how you look at it, the owner of the loose dogs was at fault. As far as Albanite, you do realize that you have given Mr. Hughes reason to fear for his life and his famlie's safety. Should you ever be foolish enough to set foot on his property, or approach him in person you have already displayed your intention. I believe a visit from the Police might be in order, just to assure that this individual knows the law.

WTFwtf 1 year, 2 months ago

If you have pitbulls you have the mind of a child. Yer trying to look like yer heroes on BET and basically giving the middle finger to the rest of civilized society and being counter-productive. (What else isnew?) So im giving it right back to all u pit owners and i suggest others do the same. Dont hire them dont tip them dont go out of yer way to be nice. Theyll dont care

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 2 months ago

That was a racist juvenile generalization, wtfwtf. My friend lives next door to a couple who have had pit bulls for 20+ years. I can tell you they don't care what anyone does on BET, and they are responsible human beings. You could learn a thing or two from those two.

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't think Mr. Hughes was a trigger happy person just looking to kill a dog. I think he was literally concerned about the safety of Mr. Jones. Suppose that dog killed Mr. Jones dog and then goes after him?