Breaking News

ASU coach Mike White resigns December 17, 2014

Mosely trying to deliver on promise of DCSS transparency

Butch Mosely

Butch Mosely

ALBANY, Ga. -- Last month, when Butch Mosely accepted the job as interim superintendent of the Dougherty County School System, he promised a more open and communicative administration.

That promise was put to the test this week with two public meetings on possible school closures and a trip to Atlanta to "throw himself upon the mercy" of the State Board of Education.

On Monday and Thursday, Mosely and the School Board listened to concerns and comments from nearly 30 different citizens in regard to the possible closure of Sylvester Road Elementary and Dougherty Middle schools and the repurposing of Magnolia Elementary.

"School closures and rezoning are two of the most contentious issues any school district can face," Mosely said. "These hearings give people the opportunity to speak and provide the board with more input. After all is said and done, I hope people will say the process was fair and transparent."

On Wednesday, Mosely and Executive Director of Finance and Operations Ken Dyer and two more staff members drove to Atlanta to meet with the State Board of Education. In December, the DOE placed the district on "high risk" status and is currently sitting on more than $12 million of the school system's FY 2013 federal allotment money.

The object of the trip, Mosely said, was to assure state officials that "there is a new sheriff in Dougherty County who is going to insist on doing things the right way."

The state is concerned about the district's Title I, Race to the Top and School Improvement Grant funding, and the "high risk" status has the DCSS currently locked into reimbursement status.

"We were very well-received by the DOE people," Mosely said. "All the major players were there. They told us where we were and what we have to do to get out of this mess we are currently in. Basically, we have to convince them of our commitment to change."

The DOE remembers its history with the system, a history that involves uncooperative staff, incomplete documents and a lack of support from the central office to the field (schools).

"I think Dr. (Ufot) Inyang (the system's new director of curriculum and instruction) will fix those problems ASAP," Mosely said. "In the past, many staff members did not seem receptive to correcting problems. Well, that's gonna change."

Mosely said he and his team left the DOE meeting with good feelings.

"I am cautiously optimistic they will soon be freeing up the held funding and remove us from high risk status," the superintendent said. "Then we can begin taking a hard look at our personnel. But we need to get this thing with the DOE settled first; then we can really begin to move the system forward."

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

This reminds me of the brilliantly famous "New Sheriff" scene in the movie Blazing Saddles. Just google it. Brilliant.

And don't you just love it when folks is "cautiously optimistic" ???

YOU GO, NEW SHERIFF!!

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

Blazing saddles was on television last night. I turned the channel to it and remember only the introduction with Cleavon Little. I awoke at 1:30am in my recliner and that was that. If it hadn't been for my pack of dogs wanting out I would probably have spent the night there. Doesn't recommend the movie very much for excitement.

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

Any body know anything about Dr. Ufot Inyang. I have looked for his cv on line and can't find one. I am particularly interested in where he earned his degrees and when. I will be impressed if he has academic work at an accredited university.

DCSSTeacher 1 year, 10 months ago

Check the Board minutes when he got approved for the new position. The minutes always include a resume or C.V. for public information when administrative positions are filled.

RedEric 1 year, 10 months ago

I am sure the State DOE is looking at the current school administration as a thin veneer of respectability with no guarantee it can be maintained. The system could easily slip back to a copy of the previous administration who had no explanation for where the money went and even doubted the States right to know.

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

He use to be principal at Merry Acres Middle school and he really was wonderful there. He is from Africa and I was impressed with him. He was also principal at an elementary school, but do not know which one. Merry Acres also passed CRCT under him. Who took over Merry Acres.

AnotherMom 1 year, 10 months ago

Dr. Inyang was principal at Merry Acres when my son attended. He was a great principal, ran a tight ship & did his best to keep everyone on the right track.

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

Well for one thing, with a name like that, I don't believe he is one of the "Good Old Boys" from the prior Administration. Speaking of which is that former Assistant Superintendant still drawing a pay check?

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

Fryer... I typed "who is Dr. Ufot Inyang" up in the address bar of my PC and hit enter and it was as if I hit the jackpot in Vegas...man did I ever get a return on my nickle. DoCo is sure lucky to have someone like him on their team. Remember, I don't even have kids in the DoCo school system, never have, but it is good to know the kids are finally getting a team that really cares about them. Now if the school board could only get rid of the bad macaroni and cheese it would be fantastic....no one likes 'spoiled velveeta' or 'bugs' in their side dishes now, do they?

B4it 1 year, 10 months ago

agirl.. you go girl. Your last sentence was received and understood. Excellent analogy. This just made my day!

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

Well who among us likes bad mac and cheese, huh? Not me. As I said before, I don't live in DoCo and have never had kids or grandkids in the DCSS and know I can't say anything about the school system but I can discuss food, huh?

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

agirl, I entered the same query and got a plethora of leads but nothing that told me about the guys cv. I would like to see the man's bonda fides and academic portfolio. I am favorably impressed by good comments about him but I would like to know something about him. I'll try the school board member that represents our district.

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

Fryer...his Facebook page says he is Nigerian and graduated Etinan Institute in 1976...I checked the school out (http://alumni.onlinenigeria.com/Home/InstitutionStudents/374/Etinan%20Institute%20(QIMSS) and he was probably better educated after his 9 years of primary school than most of the teachers in the DCSS are now......... Then he went on to the University of Port Harcourt in Nigeria but I did not see his name listed as a graduate, but it may have been an oversight on the page's owner. Understand you wanting to know about his educational background because knowing a job and doing it well and having the credentials is 2 different things.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 10 months ago

Terry you can look all you want, but you wont find any dirt on Dr. Inyang. He is a good man and would not have made it this far if he wasn't. Stop wasting your time trying to destroy administrators all the time and report on the positive accomplishments of the DCSS like real newspapers do. Do you get a bonus for your role in attempting to destroy the reputations of those at the top in the DCSS?????? Why do you do it???? I dont see you over here in Lee County looking up any dirt....I hear about it all the time, but you guys never seem to make it this far....whats the matter????? I wonder why....hmmmmmmm

LuLu 1 year, 10 months ago

Probably because comparatively speaking, there is no dirt in the LCSS.

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 10 months ago

Not looking for dirt. I like the guy.

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't see where anyone is looking for dirt....I think asking about Dr. Inyang's credentials is a legitimate question, considering that with Dr.Murfree the DCSS got someone who was clearly, in my opinion (and remember I am entitled to my opinion) someone who was not what he said he was. I think Dr.Inyang appears to be a very well educated individual from what I have seen just by reading about the requirements of the Etinan School in Nigeria, where he went. A school, I might add, that probably 98% of the ASU grads would not be able to pass, and it is just primary school!!!. I don't think you should go accusing someone of attempting to destroy the reputation of someone without proof. Is that fair?

TRUTH101 1 year, 10 months ago

"A school, I might add, that probably 98% of the ASU grads would not be able to pass, and it is just primary school!!!."

Before you make such a statement....ask yourself....Could you?..... s/n Congrats Dr. Inyang

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 10 months ago

without proof???? where have you been??? Have you read some of his attack stories on lead officials in the DCSS???? Go back and do your homework.....

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

Good gracious fellow sheathe your cutlass. I offered the query. I would like to know his academic bona fides. It is a legitimate query. Any one in a professional position generally is delighted to show the jewels. I just want to see the stamps on the sheepskin.

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey now bubbs.....I think if you will look at the statement you made you were referring to Dr.Inyang, specifically. At least that is my understanding.....from the first sentence you made. Maybe I am wrong. If you were referring to Murfree in the rest of the statement it didn't take much now, did it, as far as his reputation went? I totally agreed with you that Dr.Inyang was a good, well educated man....so neener neener neener.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

bubba is still upset that Murfree is gone. bubba thinks Murfree is the best thing outside of Obama.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 10 months ago

wrong again Dufus....Bubba dont care that Murfree is gone....Bubba is just happy you and ROMNEY LOST!!!! hahahahaha

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

Don't celebrate now. Look who won the prize.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

I didn't lose and Romney didn't lose. Romney's problem was he was not a good a liar than Obama was. After all Obama lied to and outsmarted 51% of the voters into believing him. To me that makes you a loser because you were one of the dumb ones to believe him.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 10 months ago

ROMNEY LOST AND HE IS A LOSER.....YOU SUPPORTED HIM SO YOU ARE A LOSER TOO!!!! hahahahaha

B4it 1 year, 10 months ago

BSRN = do you realize how extremely juvenile you sound with your childess remarks? You sound like a 2nd grader in the school yard.

This story deserves better comments. Real progress is being made by this new School Board, and you make these ridiculous remarks about the presidential election.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 10 months ago

yup, the right man won the prize......

WTFwtf 1 year, 10 months ago

Fryar- u dont have to have a u.s. bitth cert to be in doco school olitics so put yer birther type ignorance back on the attic. U dont even know how small town u sound