Squawk of the Day - Feb. 8, 2013

The citizens of Albany should endeavor to make our city consultant free. These consultants do not know what they are talking about.

Comments

dickyboy 1 year, 2 months ago

Not my squawk...but kind of agree.. why pay officials like Taylor.. Smith and others a pretty hefty salary and not being able to figure things out.. as Taylor said yesterday that the Vinson report didn't point out anything they didn't know... how much did we pay for that fee?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 2 months ago

The best definition of "consultant" I ever heard was "somebody from out of town".

When people call in a "consultant" it means they aren't qualified for their jobs and salaries that go with that job and/or they don't have the balls to make the tough decisions and defend that decision to others.

dickyboy 1 year, 2 months ago

If something don't work out... they blame it on the consultants... no balls..

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

Exactly! The hope is somebody will run interference and take the heat. Look at the DCSS, they just hired consultants to tell what to do and Ealum has turned it into political football.

waltspecht 1 year, 2 months ago

A Consultant is normally utilized for a field of endeavor you have no experience in. They have two purposes, to educate you and provide you a workable solution to your problem. They have expertise in areas you do not, and it is a proven expertise. So I would question the overuse of Consultants thats sole purpose seems to be to increase the Consultants worth for providing information that is already available in the Public Sector. Wonder what that says about the communities utilizing them?

chinaberry25 1 year, 2 months ago

Walt, I agree. Most consultants are highly educated persons and earn their pay. If you do not take their advice, then do not blame them for the outcome. Farmers, forestry owners, real estate developers all use them for good reason and make much money off of them as well as saving them money too. They keep you from getting screwed on things most know very little about. Do not blame them for what is going on in Albany.

bigbob 1 year, 2 months ago

Another waste of money in Albany. Most of the people elected have no clue but they do have money, skin color, friendship to the people who elect them. The voters are the only ones who can change this but they never do.

Oldguy 1 year, 2 months ago

I want to be a consultant for the city of Albany! Only problem is my suggestions would not acted on as public hangings of elected officials is against the law. Oh well perhaps they will pay me a couple hundred thousand to feed the fish at the Riverquarium.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 2 months ago

Let's see, how does one become a consultant? Well, you go to school and get a degree. If you are lucky, you can make a living using that degree. If you can't make a living using your degree, then you become a teacher in the field of that degree. If you can't make a living as a teacher in that field, then you become a consultant and soak the taxpayers of a community dry all the while convincing them you know what you are talking about. If you are on the receiving end of that consultation and if you do't like it, you know have PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY. That means "it is no my fault, this is what the consultant said. " I have one question--whatever happened to the days when elected officials actually got out and talked to the community?

RedEric 1 year, 2 months ago

The company I worked for hired a consultant to help me. I was angry until I found out he had been the VP's college room- mate. I changed my attitude and when he and his son showed up we had a great time. We went to the best restaurants and bars in town. Our noon lunch breaks consisted of country side exploration. It turns out they didn't know a damn thing about ventilation, but they had fun. Our plant never rehired them, but other plants did.

tocar 1 year, 2 months ago

We need to keep business in Albany. Why don't we use employees inside of the businesses to evaluate the various situations? Who better then these that know the businesses and needs? This is just one more area where our Commissioners are spending taxpayers monies needlessly.

Bulldawg 1 year, 2 months ago

A consultant is someone that people pay huge sums of money to tell them what they should already know. Consultants are paid for the expertise that the people that hired them should have.

mr_nobody 1 year, 2 months ago

Consultants can be a great asset if you do your homework and get consultants who were actually successful in the field they are now consulting in.

Thurman 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe the City/County could hire a consultant to find our if they need consultants.

B4it 1 year, 2 months ago

As some have correctly commented above, good consultants have a place and purpose in the business culture. Good consultants can provide a certain level of expertise, can share knowledge from past experiences, can provide comparative data from other sources, and can provide outside objective opinions and recommendations from their knowledge and research for consideration and decision making.

However, it is the last point that seems to be needed the most in our local governments. Consider the example of combining the DoCo Police with the Sheriff's office. When Chief Cheek was in charge, do you think he would be objective in working on a solution to combine these forces? Consider the study and several unanimous recommendations to combine the City and County governments. Do you think these two government bodies would be objective in working on a solution together? They have already proven they can not even agree on how to split the LOST funds.

So there are circumstances where an outside source may help with making decisions. Just another point of view to THINK about.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 2 months ago

How about we elect leaders who know how to lead and we wouldn't need the consultants. Again, the full blame is back on the voters who elected them. The city wastes a lot of money on these so called "consultants".

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

When my husband left his job with BP he kept getting calls from them about problems they were having with the state of the art equipment. He told me he retired and that meant he was through with them and I asked him if he wanted me to handle the calls for him in my normal, lovely, kind, well mannered (yeah, right) way. He told me to go for it. Next time they called I gave them the run around about him being on the back 40 planting peanuts. They kept calling back all afternoon but I kept telling them that I would be sure and have him call them next time he came up to the house. Of course I didn't. Next morning the phone rang very early and it was the BP people again wanting to talk to him about the problem, knowing he could talk their man into how to fix their problem because their man from BP had not arrived yet to fix the equipment. That sorta pissed me off..them having someone to fix it (a consultant because of the type equipment it was) they probably paid an outrageous salary to for fixing it and wanting to bug him to give them free phone tech support...hmmmmm.....so I told them that everytime they called him for phone support they would have to pay him 5 times his salary (broken down into an hourly wage) and have someone from the BP plant bring a contract by for him to sign it (45 miles away.) They did and they saved time and money. Things worked out nicely until my husband got tired of the constant phone calls...all hours of the day and night......the plant ran 24-7 and he said the equipment was state of the art and the men running it needed more training than BP was willing to invest in them but then you know how big companies can be...... If the companies hired people who were trained to do the job they would not have to hire anyone to consult them. He said you cannot take a bunch of south Alabama boys and teach them about the physical world of machines overnight. Oh well....so much for consulting..

Cartman 1 year, 2 months ago

Let's call it what it is. Flim flam artists. Charlatons. Con artists. Snake oil salesmen.