Albany woman awarded Citizen's medal by White House

Pamela Green-Jackson

Pamela Green-Jackson

WASHINGTON — An Albany woman is to be awarded a 2012 Citizen's Medal by President Barack Obama for her work in trying to curb obesity in children.

Pam Green-Jackson will join 17 other recipients of the 2012 Citizen's Medal at the White House on Friday, where she will accept the honor from Obama. The ceremony will also posthumously honor six teachers killed in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

The Citizens Medal was established in 1969 to recognize American citizens who have performed exemplary deeds of service for their country or their fellow citizens. President Obama will recognize Americans whose work has had a significant impact on their communities but may not have garnered national attention.

The medal is the second-highest civilian honor bestowed by the United States.

Click here to see a full listing of the 2012 recipients and their bios.

Green-Jackson is the founder and CEO of the Youth Becoming Healthy Project (YBH), a nonprofit organization committed to reducing the epidemic of childhood obesity through nutrition, fitness education and physical activity programs. YBH was created in memory of Green-Jackson's only brother, Bernard Green, who died in 2004 from obesity-related illnesses. YBH provides resources for during- and after-school wellness programs for elementary and middle school students as well as a summer wellness camp where the students learn about exercise, nutrition and can participate in martial arts, walking club and dance programs.

"I'm completely honored and humbled to not only be nominated, but selected to receive such a prestigious award from the president. Ironically, I'm receiving the award almost nine years to the date of my brother's passing on Feb. 11, 2004, which makes it even more special. I just wanted to do something to honor his memory, so when the idea came to me to do this, my husband, Larry Jackson, took my vision and ran with it. He is also very deserving of this award," Green-Jackson said.

Green-Jackson said she's also proud that First Lady Michelle Obama has made curbing childhood obesity a significant part of her social agenda, a move she says that could help organizations like hers make strides in the future.

"Although we have turned the program over to the schools for the most part, YBH will continue to host the annual summer wellness camp for those youths referred by their doctors. We will also continue to partner with other organizations to continue raising awareness of the ongoing program, and my dream is to see programs like YBH all across the country," Green-Jackson said.

Past medal recipients are Muhuammed Ali, Hank Aaron, Charlton Heston, Sen. Strom Thurmond, Bob Dole and Colin Powell, among others.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

I hate hyphenated last names on females. It makes you wonder wtf is going on with that??!!??

I don't know if my toilet throat diameter is sufficient to flush down a O'bama Citizens medal but I would sure give it my full and complete effort if it was me!

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Did you sleep the night before in your wheel chair, Sis?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Not really........but thanks for your concern, FT.......

Spike 1 year, 8 months ago

Congratulations Pam! You are in great company!

southwestga 1 year, 8 months ago

What a wonderful mission and results! Keep up the good work!

scott15 1 year, 8 months ago

congrats mrs. pam...sister ruby, find something else to worry about.

scott15 1 year, 8 months ago

congrats mrs. pam....sister ruby, find something else to worry about.

Ihope4albany 1 year, 8 months ago

Thank you Spike and southwestga for congratulating Ms. Jackson on helping our children locally overcome the challenges of obesity. I enjoyed your comments!

Way to go Leadership Albany Pam Green-Jackson on this tremendous legacy in the memory of your brother!

I love the hypenated name too Pam! What the fullest is going on with that is this Sister Ruby, the hyphen for women helps women continue to achieve their fullest potential that God destined for them. All over the world, you see the subjugation of women by men. Thus, the liberty of the U.S. for women is great. Ever try finding a former female classmate? You can't, she disappeared because her husband took ownership of her through the marriage name.

I hope for more Youth Becoming Healthy and for more women hyphenating!!!!!

revolutionnow 1 year, 8 months ago

What happens when women with hyphenated last names have children? Do the children take both last names? You talk about the potential that god has destined for women, but did this idea come from the bible or from the mind of some person who could'nt care less about Gods plan for families. If you want to bring God into this commentary, maybe you should see what the scriptures say about the roles of men and women. Then judge your own words and actions accordingly.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Just read the "Births" section of this very newspaper for your answer.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Sister, you're too damned much. As Lincoln told his law partner Billy Herndon, "you never don't cheer me up!"

Bulldawg 1 year, 8 months ago

How does a women having a hyphenated name help her achieve her full potential? That statement sounds awfully devoid of logic to me. And yes, I am a man.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm all for teaching children about healthy eating practices. Congratulations! I wonder what good deed Stom Thurmond was acused of that merited this award?

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

I will tell you someone the writer forgot to include in the list of great AMERICANS, and I mean TRUE AMERICANS who have won the Citizens Medal in the past. Billy Mills, a Native American and I mean a true Native American!! He is a Ogala Lakota Sioux Indian from South Dakota and I had the pleasure of shaking his hand in the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport in the late 70's on a flight from North Dakota to Virginia when I was changing planes. He was going on a speaking engagement to Chicago and a crowd had gathered around him and being the snoopy person I am, wanted to see what was going on. Seeing it was Mills, a former Marine, and Olympic Medal winner I knew about him because some Ogala Sioux lived near the Air Base in North Dakota where we were stationed and had talked about him and were very proud of him. They sold me my first POA (Pony of the Americas) Appaloosa mare for breeding....they are wonderful people. Too bad we as a nation treated them so poorly and continue to do so to this day.

santamaria 1 year, 8 months ago

Kudos Pam for your vision and hard work - you are an amazing role model for all of us!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm just saying I'd throw it away. That's it! Wouldn't do it for the recognition, even from the half-Caucasian President and his "finally proud of America" wife.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Less fat kids = less fat adults = less bogus Handicapped Parking Stickers on them BMW's so I guess I agree with this in principle........

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

The type car someone drives has nothing to do with the fact that the car has a handicapped parking sticker on it. We have 3 vehicles and one of them is titled to me and I am handicapped because of a very rare type neurological disorder that makes walking difficult at times. In order to qualify for a permanant tag the car has to be titled in my name. It is convenient for me to have the tag on the car but times when the wheelchair must be taken we take the smaller truck and use a hangtag, of which I have only 1. Yes, the SUV is a Limited and a 2012, but that should not matter, should it? Don't you drive a Caddy and have a handicapped sticker too? Oh and one more thing, if you do, how many miles do you get to a gallon.....does it drink it up...my god I wish you could see our gas bill for a month!!....OUTRAGEOUS.......

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm talking about the BOGUS ones which are a dime a dozen.

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

Obviously the award was not results oriented. As Albany has more pounds per person than anywhere I have been. Also, in that vein I would like an award for reducing ignorance in SWGA.

spookj6 1 year, 8 months ago

Understand something people, certain post will happen until 20 Jan 2017, the day our President leaves office. Until then just sit back and be amazed of the doubt standard that you will see. We did 8 years so they can do 8. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Want to discuss the possibility of NJ Gov. Chris Christie running for President in 2016 and do some fat jokes? I am sure the contributors could have a grand time with him, don't you? All the comedians are, why not the squawkers? I mean on Letterman the other night the poor man could hardly fit into the guest chair. Poor man......sigh.

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

On the same token, people criticized Bush and other presidents for the 8 years they were in office, so expect 4 more years of criticism of Obama. Until then sit back and be amazed or angered from what you read. They did for 8 years and we can do 8. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes but you have to admit Bush gave the nation's comedians some wonderful material. I mean just go to YouTube and type in BushBloopers and it is amazing the hits you can come up with. Some are priceless!! Oh and let us not forget Sarah Palin. For an afternoon when one is really bored there is nothing like a good belly laugh from her bloopers. No reason to get angry when a laugh makes one feel so good.

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree, I am just saying we can laugh at Bush, but expect the same for Obama.

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

Congratulation to Pam Green-Jackson, but if the Obama's really cared about obesity, they would fix the food stamps system and enforce a rule that you can't use EBT cards to purchase potato chips, Ice Cream, soft drinks and other fattening snacks that are not a necessity food group. Not saying people are not entitled to enjoy themselves eating these snacks, just saying don't talk about healthy eating & obesity if people chose to fatten themselves up by eating these snacks.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree totally VSU. There is no reason why EBT cards need to be used for junk food of any kind....and no they don't need to be totally deprived of having a snack now and then. It is certainly not going to kill them to do without that supersized Mt.Dew or Pepsi or the giant bag of chips daily.