0

NFL NOTEBOOK: 49ers lock up Lockette for two more years; faulty device blamed on Super Bowl power outage; UGA's Grantham bows out of Saints search

Despite not playing in last Sunday’s Super Bowl, former Monroe star Ricardo Lockette — a practice squad player with the San Francisco 49ers — traveled with the team to New Orleans and was interviewed multiple times about his thoughts on the Big Game.

Despite not playing in last Sunday’s Super Bowl, former Monroe star Ricardo Lockette — a practice squad player with the San Francisco 49ers — traveled with the team to New Orleans and was interviewed multiple times about his thoughts on the Big Game.

SAN FRANCISCO — “The Rocket” is staying grounded in San Francisco.

And that’s a good thing.

Albany native and former Monroe star Ricardo “The Rocket” Lockette tweeted this week that he and the San Francisco 49ers — the team Lockette spent much of the 2012 regular season with on their practice squad — had agreed to a new two-year deal.

“Excited to announce I signed a 2 year deal with the SanFrancisco 49ers last night. #deepthreat#speed,” Lockette wrote Thursday night.

The contract, however, is a reserve/future contract, meaning by signing the deal, players will be under contract with their team when the new league year begins March 12.

Lockette, who wowed scouts at the 2011 combine with his top time of 4.37 in the 40-yard dash, never got into a game for the 49ers this season. He has two career catches in the NFL, both with the Seattle Seahawks, who signed his as a rookie but released him this past season, paving the way for the 49ers to pick him up.


ENERGY COMPANY BLAMES DEVICE FOR POWER OUTAGE:

NEW ORLEANS — The power company that provides service to the New Orleans Superdome has traced Sunday’s Super Bowl blackout to a faulty electrical device.

Entergy New Orleans announced Friday that an electrical relay failed in the third quarter of the game between the Baltimore Ravels and San Francisco 49ers. The game was delayed more than 30 minutes until power and lights were fully restored to the stadium.

The energy provider said the device was installed to protect the Superdome equipment in the event of a cable failure between the switchgear and the stadium.

“While the relay functioned without issue during a number of high-profile events — including the New Orleans Bowl, the New Orleans Saints-Carolina Panthers game, and the Sugar Bowl — during Sunday’s game, the relay device triggered, signaling a switch to open when it should not have, causing the partial outage,” Entergy New Orleans said in a statement. “This device has since been removed from service and new replacement equipment is being evaluated.”

The announcement came in advance of a special meeting of the New Orleans City Council’s Utility Committee on Friday with the energy company to discuss the outage and the root cause, which it had been investigating since the lights partially went out Sunday night.

Initially, Entergy indicated its equipment was functional and the problem must have come from the Superdome but later said it was launching an investigation to determine the source of the problem.


Grantham removes himself as Saints’ DC candidate

Todd Grantham removed himself from consideration for the New Orleans Saints job on Friday.

Grantham will return to his job as University of Georgia’s defensive coordinator. He interviewed with the Saints on Thursday.

“I want to thank (coach) Sean Payton and the New Orleans Saints organization for the opportunity to interview and get to know them,” Grantham said in a statement. “They are a first class organization in every respect. As I said Wednesday, Georgia is a great place, my family loves it here, and I do as well.

“This is where our heart is and today I have withdrawn my name from consideration for the position with the Saints. I’m excited to start preparations for another season and along with the rest of our defensive staff look forward to coaching some really good returning players as well as developing some very talented newcomers.”

Grantham’s decision is a sign that the Saints are closer to hiring Rob Ryan for the job. Ryan was fired as the Dallas Cowboys’ defensive coordinator after the season. He was scheduled to interview with the Cowboys on Friday.

Payton said Friday that the Saints plan to meet with one more candidate next week.


Harbaughs still have not talked since Super Bowl

John and Jim Harbaugh spoke following the end of Super Bowl XLVII on Sunday after Baltimore defeated San Francisco, 34-31.

Jim Harbaugh, coach of the 49ers congratulated his brother John for the Ravens’ victory saying, “I’m proud of you” during the postgame handshake.

Appearing on the “Late Show with David Letterman” on Thursday, John Harbaugh told Letterman the two brothers have not spoken since meeting on the field after Sunday’s game.

“We have not had a conversation since. We will ? soon,” Harbaugh said.

Harbaugh told Letterman he wasn’t sure when the two would actually talk, but one this is for certain, the Super Bowl winning Harbaugh will not be consoling the Super Bowl losing Harbaugh.

“There’s no way that you console your brother,” Harbaugh said. “Anybody that has a brother knows that. You don’t console your brother, it doesn’t work,” he said, adding that he hopes the two will talk before the NFL Combine takes place in two weeks.