Squawk of the Day - Feb. 9, 2013

Carlton Fletcher hit the nail on the head about a kid not being Buster Posey. As an umpire, I have thrown more spectators out of the game than I have players.

Comments

dickyboy 1 year, 2 months ago

I remember 30 years ago when an umpire had to lock himself in the restroom to avoid the parents wrath at Gillespie ball park..police had to be called... that is sick.

dickyboy 1 year, 2 months ago

BTW...that's when June Bug was coaching the pirates..but that had nothing to do with it... just thought iI'd throw that in there... Yes I did coach against him before he became a millionaire.. thanks to the flood of 94...

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 2 months ago

Q: Where have the morals and respect gone in America?

A: Down the commode.

We have commercials now pleading with people to be nice and considerate of others...

chinaberry25 1 year, 2 months ago

Do not insult the commode. It does its work for practically free. America has always been trouble, we just see more of it now. Remember the blue bloods of Albany going out of town and having a cussing match at a ball game. One of the upper private schools in Albany.

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

I have even heard of parents getting into fights with other parents over a game. To these cussing parents...calm down it's just a little league baseball game. It's not the end of the world, everything will be okay. The sun will rise again tomorrow. I realize a career starts right there and maybe you are afraid your son won't make it in high school baseball or get a college scholarship, but they all can't be superstars.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

Back in the late 60's, early 70's when my husband was in Vietnam, the GIs who were stateside used to volunteer to be stand-in dads for the kids whose dads were overseas and started a league on base for kids who wanted to play t-ball. They were the nicest bunch of fellows you ever wanted to meet, and no bickering or arguing, just the love of the game and wanting to help out the moms who were having a rough time being mom and dad. How nice it was and what nice memories I have of the time my son played t-ball. After my husband came home, the next year my son started playing in a regular off base league. How miserable he was and said he never wanted to play ball again. All the bickering and fighting was too much for him. We got him a little Yamaha bike, he took up motocross, was very happy and content and never picked up a glove or ball again.

whattheheck 1 year, 2 months ago

My exact experience with the T-ball transition to pitched ball. The two years in T-ball were enjoyed by the boys, the coaches, and the parents. The first year in pitched ball, most of the fun for the boys and me disappeared as the coaches who never made it to the big leagues tried to replicate the big league system on the boys. And the parents became an insufferable bunch hollering at the other team and the umpires unceasingly. The second year the boys and I dropped out and decided to pursue skiing and biking, which we still do years later.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes, sad situation isn't it, when the big guys won't let the little fellas have fun and actually play the game? But I still remember the wonderful times my son had when those GI's stepped up and gave their time when his dad couldn't be around for him when he played T-ball. It was rough being the kid of a guy who may leave for work on a January morning and not come home till some afternoon in April but he turned out great and the little Yamaha got a great workout. Motocross was the thing for him but now it is faster cars, older whiskey and younger women.....no, wait...I got that wrong....haha...his wife would kill me...it is older cars...he restores Corvettes as a hobby....doesn't drink...and has a lovely wife and he and his son still like to ride around the farm on their Yamahas. You sound like a fine dad youself whattheheck.