Squawk of the Day - Feb. 11, 2013

"If the post office is going to stop Saturday delivery, why wait until August? May as well start this coming Saturday."

Squawks are comments submitted by the public and are not necessarily the opinion of The Albany Herald.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 5 months ago

What they don't know is that my mailbox goes straight into my trash can since 98% of what goes in my mailbox winds up in my trash can. Why not deliver just ONE day per week?

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

We would need bigger mailboxes for all that junk mail! :)

alleebrin 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, once a week, and I'll put my trash can out by the mailbox. We can all save time and effort!! Too bad that so many folks don't take kindly to innovation and want things to remain just as they were 50 years ago. The stagecoach came and went, or so they say...lol

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

I like that, just cut a hole in the bottom of your mail box and put a trash can underneath.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 5 months ago

If they didnt offer such cheap bulk rates for all that junk mail, maybe they wouldnt be so strapped for cash...

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

In today's digital age it seems mail is going the route of VHS tapes. Most bills can be paid online, and in my personal experience the reliability factor is greatly diminished when I use USPS to mail something important.

Not many services are future-proof.

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

I pay all my bills online, mortgage, Utility, Car payment, credit cards etc. Tax refund, direct deposited. Unless I order something from Amazon, or some place that delivers USPS not a whole lot of useful mail comes in outside Insurance renewal policies every 6 months. W2 Forms, even those you can get online, via your company.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 5 months ago

Amazon is one of the few companies I have ran across that uses USPS. Most others use either FedEx or UPS. I wonder how these changes will affect the business relationship between those two.

whattheheck 1 year, 5 months ago

Perhaps not. UPS also uses USPS and has a working arrangement on packages. I shipped an item recently that was $19 straight UPS or $3 cheaper if the UPS/USPS arrangement were used. Not sure of the details but I was told the home delivery part would be USPS.

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

That's true, I ordered online and had a Fed Ex tracking number for an item that was sent via Fed Ex that had final destination Albany USPS, which was delivered by the USPS.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 5 months ago

Are our bill collectors going to adjust bill payments because of this? Since we, the people, have no control over the USPS stopping Saturday delivery (and therefore mail pickup), are we going to be punished with late fees, etc...because of this?

waltspecht 1 year, 5 months ago

I would uess that if you refuse to adjust to reality, yes you will.

whattheheck 1 year, 5 months ago

I would suggest better planning to overcome the change in service.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 5 months ago

We are all gonna have to learn how to pay our bills online. I opened a new checking account a couple weeks ago and the bank told me I had to have "online checking".

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

Mail your bill off a day earlier.

bigbob 1 year, 5 months ago

If they only delivered 3 days a week it really wouldn't matter. It is run by the government if it didn't have the bottomless pockets of taxpayers it would fail just like everything else the government touches. DOCO commision is a perfect example, do you think a commisioner with a thriving bussiness like Adams runs that like he wastes taxpayer money, wake up people.

agirl_25 1 year, 5 months ago

What kind of business does this Adams fella run? I don't mind the mail being run 5 days a week, even 3 as you suggested .... most of mine is junk catalogs anyway.... I shop online a lot and everytime I buy something I start to get catalogs from the companies even when I click the box that specifically says NO I DO NOT WANT TO BE ON YOUR MAILING LIST...grrrrrr. I do all the bill paying by automatic bank draft so no problem there and adjustment is made so there is no late payment. I am as content as a tick on a coon hound.

Broken_to_bits 1 year, 5 months ago

I think they should cut back to Monday, Wednesday, and Friday period. Like everything else you have to do what you have to do no matter how hard it seems at the time...

agirl_25 1 year, 5 months ago

I live ten miles from town way back in the woods and get mostly junk mail and really would not mind mail delivery twice a week. I wouldn't even mind driving in to town to pick up my mail a day or two but know it would be an inconvenience for many people. I sincerely would hate to see workers lose jobs but as Broken_to_bits said, you have to do what you have to do.......right?

Barny_Gumble 1 year, 5 months ago

I order a lot online and send packages out constantly. USPS is very important for my business personally. For the mail to only have 1 or 2 days opened a week will not suffice. Giving up a Sunday is bad enough when someone is waiting on their product. I have no issue with bulk mail being charged more to stop useless advertisements. It wouldn't be a bad idea to revamp the prices on postage; charge more for personal letters(1$).