City forecloses on L'Juas; former owner files suit to block sale

Lajuana Woods, the owner of Lamos Entertainment, the parent company of L'Jua's Restaurant, stands in front of the business in this file photo. The city of Albany has foreclosed on the property, prompting her to file suit to set the foreclosure aside.

ALBANY, Ga. — The City of Albany has foreclosed on a restaurant owned by a former board member of the Albany Dougherty Inner City Authority after they say more than $200,000 in community and economic development loans have gone unpaid.

Originally in a second-tier lien position to Capitol City Bank for the restaurant known as L'Juas on the 700 block of Radium Springs Road, the city of Albany essentially bought out the bank's debt for nearly $100,000, so they could foreclose on the property in hopes of selling it and getting at least a portion of their money back.

"We have no desire to be in the restaurant business," City Manager James Taylor said Tuesday. "Had we not bought Capitol City's interest in the property, they would've foreclosed and we would've lost any money that had been paid out. So we plan to offload it and get whatever we can out of it to satisfy the note."

But owner LaJuana Woods, the former ADICA board member who was forced to repay $50,000 in questionable facade grants she was granted by former ADICA CEO Don Buie, has since filed suit against the city, seeking an injunction to block it from selling the restaurant and seeking a court order to undo the foreclosure.

The $50,000 has been repaid, city officials say.

In the suit, Woods contends that the city failed to follow Georgia law when it brokered the deal with Capitol City Bank and then foreclosed on the property, specifically in connection with how the law requires non-judicial foreclosure sales to be held.

Woods also says the city has not followed the terms of the security deed that was agreed upon when Woods first accepted the money on the property.

Sam Engram, the attorney arguing the case for the city, said Tuesday that the city plans to fight the suit.

The suit comes at the same time that Woods has filed for bankruptcy protection in U.S. District Court. Woods lists the city as a debtor in her bankruptcy filing, noting the $200,000 owed for the property.

Comments

truthsayer 1 year, 5 months ago

That Karma thang is sure tough to swallow. I was hoping this would happen, since she got the funds illegally from the city to open the business. About the 50000 she so called paid back, this is the first I've heard about it. Now comes the bankruptcy that she thinks the city should pay. How arrogant. This folks is what is wrong with the city of Albany.

SMHgain 1 year, 5 months ago

Sure is nice of the City of Albany to keep bailing out Capitol City Bank with their loans made to business owners that appear to be poor money managers. I would like to see the numbers of how much of the fraudulent building facade grant that was repaid to the city and the payment dates.

J.D._Sumner 1 year, 5 months ago

It's all public record. Send an e-mail to ndavis2@albany.ga.us. They have three days to respond and can charge you up to 25 cents per page and the hourly salary of the lowest paid employee capable of doing the job past the first 15 minutes of research.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 5 months ago

You are wrong, J.D. The law was changed to 10 cents for each page. I just read the new law so the city could be breaking the law if they are charging more than 10 cents per page. Here is what the O.C.G.A. 50-18-70 reads. "(2) In addition to a charge for the search, retrieval, or redaction of records, an agency may charge a fee for the copying of records or data, not to exceed 10¢ per page for letter or legal size documents or, in the case of other documents, the actual cost of producing the copy. In the case of electronic records, the agency may charge the actual cost of the media on which the records or data are produced." Also it is cndavis.albany.ga.us

here is the link to the current Sunshine Law: http://law.ga.gov/sites/law.ga.gov/files/imported/vgn/images/portal/cit_1210/62/51/186385699r1.pdf

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

Kaos, 10 cent fees convert to 25 cents in city finance department. Don't believe it? Check your taxes.

rock 1 year, 5 months ago

Why is it that people like this can just take monies from the city of Albany and then not expect to pay it back. This is the type of person who should be investigated, charged and sent into the penal system. I am so sick and tired people who claim to be involved in the wekfare of the city, stealing from us. Look at Pike!!!!! Enough already!!!!

VSU 1 year, 5 months ago

I wish I could charge for a lot of stuff I didn't need and get deeply in dept and file bankruptcy and expect the city to pay for my bankruptcy even though it was all my fault from the begin with. I wouldn't do that though because I wasn't raised that way. I take full responsility for my actions, If I borrow money from banks etc, I am going to pay then back with the money I worked for and earned, not expect the government to bail me out. There are way too many irresponsible people out there.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 5 months ago

Will they have to sell her luxury import automobiles? I saw at least three BMW 7-series puttering around town mid-morning today. Can't believe there are that many people around this town who can legitimately afford a $140,000 car, especially the ones I see in the driver's seats.

agirl_25 1 year, 5 months ago

A BMW 7 series cost $140,000? You can buy a Maserati Quattroporte for less than that....of course you have to go to Atlanta for service.

agirl_25 1 year, 5 months ago

HOLY CRAP.....had no idea a BMW cost $140K.....thanks for the page. Very interesting. Next time I am in Germany I am going to price some BMW's just because I am curious. I know to bring them back to the states they have to be altered because of government regulations but would be interesting to see what the price difference is.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 5 months ago

BMW of Albany shows 3 new 7-series on their web site in their inventory. The cheapest one is $87,000. The most expensive is $101,000. Yesterday I saw several 7-Series puttering around town. When I saw who was driving them I just shook my damn head and confessed that I don't know how they do it.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

Darn, Sister. Looks like you are trading cars. A few quid come your way?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 5 months ago

No I just like to be informed about the vehicles that Albany's downtrodden are rolling around in all day long while others work for a living.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 5 months ago

All this taxpayer money going out to people with nothing to show for it and absolutey no intention to account for it or to pay it back. To churches, individuals, "non-profits" etc etc.

THE MADNESS HAS TO STOP!!!!!!

agirl_25 1 year, 5 months ago

Many years ago the VA overpaid my husband by $90.00 and they wrote him a letter and treated him as if he had cheated them out of the money on purpose. I, of course, in my sweet way, wrote the VA back and told the letter writer what I thought of her and the way they handled their mistake. Maybe it was a bad day for her, I dunno, but my husband did get an apology and I wrote her back and told her to roll up my letter I had just sent her, to hold it down beside her at arm's length and shove it up the nearest orifice. Now this arrogant parasite has the nerve to sue the city knowing full well she is wrong? I may not live in DoCo or Albany but those are still my tax dollars funding these people and I am sick and tired of being shafted. This one I am going to watch with an eagle eye.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 5 months ago

What ever happened to the Chambers Motors guy? Anybody know the facts? No smartass replies please, just the facts.

RedEric 1 year, 5 months ago

And the woman who stole $1.4 million via information obtained as a employee of Phoebe and collected welfare under the name Green, I think. It seems there are different laws depending on who you are. I worked at a plant where a foreman was caught stealing. The company did not prosecute because they thought it would put them in a bad light. That woman's crime was definitely an embarassment for Phoebe.

agirl_25 1 year, 5 months ago

I worked for a very large corporation, as a company nurse, and several foremen were signing off timecards for overtime (the men they were signing for were making $48+ an hour...this was in the late 80's early 90's) for gifts of guns, etc. Internal auditing found it and reported it but the powers that be never did a thing about it, not even a slap on the wrist, because it may make he company look bad....boo hoo.

MRM 1 year, 5 months ago

This is why government has NO business funding private business enterprises. If the business is not sound enough to get bank financing, it is not sound enough for the taxpayer either.

whattheheck 1 year, 5 months ago

She did get $100,000 from Capital City first then bellied up to our bar for a like amount. She had a lot of equity in the land and building which would have permitted her to get the whole amount from Capitol City but our interest rate was much better and longer term. Unfortunately she is not the only loss the city has had on such loans.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

whattheheck, are those losses published any where? I would like to see a list.

whattheheck 1 year, 5 months ago

No, our friends in the press never have developed such nor has the city made any such release except on a case by case basis.. But, there was $100,000 with Loronzo Williams/North American Equities' Dollar Square near airport and a like amount still in limbo with closing of Aunt Fannies'/McKinley Drake, who also screwed us with Grovetown housing. There are others I have seen reference too but don't recall any details.

MRKIA 1 year, 5 months ago

THE NAME OF THE BUSINESS WAS AN INDICATOR OF IT'S EVENTUAL FAILURE.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

Why is Sam Engram representing the City? I thought he had a practice of personal injury and family law, just a general ambulance chaser so to speak. Doesn't Albany have a full time legal staff headed by the inimitable Nathan Davis, a real estate closer. Seems like the citizens get shafted by the legal expenses from all the full time lawyers - the city, the county, the schools. Look at the disastrous functioning of these governmental agencies. Lawyers' salaries is just money thrown down the drain. WG&L is the only civil unit that functions effectively and it isn't constantly lawyered-up. It's ironic city commissioners Jr. Langstaff, Postell, Hines and Milquetoast Mayretta want to dissolve it. They've managed to run off the best public servant in the community for the last quarter century.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 5 months ago

Ask any of them loser lawyers if they understand probability and statistics.

whattheheck 1 year, 5 months ago

Sam does all the work on DCED loans for the city. Nathan Davis does, well, uh, I;m not sure but does not do these loans.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

OK. But why an undistinguished general ambulance chaser? A good way to save money is to dismiss all the ambulance chasers & if they need a lawyer call Ken Nugent, one call, that's all. Just as good as these crack pots.

dickyboy 1 year, 5 months ago

Between consultants and lawyers... they're draining us dry...

waltspecht 1 year, 5 months ago

I just wonder if the City will even get their $100,000 back they paid the Bank? Could this be another brokered good deal where someone in the network walks off with this property for $20,000? Or the City is stuck with it for a few years when things calm down and a friendly sale gets made? Just wondering.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

It will be interesting to watch. You've sounded an alarm.

whattheheck 1 year, 5 months ago

The place is valued at $515,000 for tax purposes so one might think we will get something back. Shortly after we acquired Capitol City's interest for an unstated amount (City interest at foreclosure in 1/13 was $233,201), Lamos Management Services/Woods/L' Juas) filed for Chap 11 bankruptcy, still in Middle Ga Court. She also owes WG&L, the amount unknown, we likely won't get back. This one will take awhile to settle so I think Jim Taylor is understating how long we will be entangled.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

I wonder what the property tax formula is on the property. If it's taxed as other commercial properties, she's got a pretty good bill.

whattheheck 1 year, 5 months ago

About $9,600 2012 tax including equipment, classed as commercial. Tax is figured on 40% of the value with mileage rate same as residential.

tiredofit 1 year, 5 months ago

Maybe she can get legal advice from JUNBUG on how to settle this.

MRKIA 1 year, 5 months ago

THAT'S HOW SHE GOT INTO IT, PROBABLY.

agirl_25 1 year, 5 months ago

NBC News (I think it was them) did a piece the other night about a Comptroller who methodically stole 53 million dollars from the city of Dixon, Illinois over a 20 year period. It was just a short piece and I am sure she will just just a slap on the wrist and do only a short time because she is such a good Christian woman. I think we should bombard CNN with emails about Albany, Ga and all the crap that goes on down here. Maybe they will do a short piece on this area and show the nation how we grow crooks in the south. But then maybe they don't want to show blacks in a bad light (jump on that all you who call me racist) because the Dixon lady was white and I noticed the major news networks were kind of nice to little Jesse Jr. when it became apparent he was a crook. Hmmm..makes me wonder........Oh well I keep my emails and letters going to NBC and CNN. Maybe one day they will get interested. It did work once years ago with one Georgia agency. They listened and came knocking and a friend and I got something taken care of. One went to prison and two lost their jobs.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

Put the CNN e-mail address on the thread. I'll most definitely send some.

agirl_25 1 year, 5 months ago

You can use this form if you like:

or you can just go ahead and go to this page:

and scroll down to the bottom and e-mail one of the reporters who you think would really be pissed off at reading about all the corruption that is going on here. My choice has been Velez-Mitchell but I know she is super busy, and she has a firey temper and hates corruption in any form. I recall her disgust at the corruption in a case in California where county officials were running the place as if it were their own personal bank account.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

Thanks, happy valentine day, agirl.

WTFwtf 1 year, 5 months ago

Albany residents complain about where they live more than any other city i know. There is an abundance of something in albany that most other cities dont have. Figure out what this is and MOVE your complaining arse to a city that doesnt have a lot of that mystrey ingredient that seems to be at the heart of most of your gripes. Just a thought, worked for me.