Squawk of the day - Feb. 13, 2013

"I ask the local legislative delegation to devise legislation which will reorganize the collection of state sales tax by the Department of Revenue so that back sales taxes are collected and kept current by businesses who receive at the time of all purchases. There are untold millions of dollars taken by businesses from consumers and never paid to state."

Comments

Tonto 1 year, 5 months ago

Getting even with us for not liking yesterday's squwak.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 5 months ago

If the Squawker knows of such criminals, he/she should report them. It's stealing. Whatever happened to the guy from Chambers Motors who did the same thing, spent all the money on luxuries galore, got nailed, got reported in the Herald.........and never heard from again?

Why am I the only person in town asking questions? Isn't journalism about doing research, asking questions, following hunches, exposing wrongdoing? Not just "reporting" what has already happened when the truth finally catches up with somebody. Maybe not.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

Sister wrote: "If the Squawker knows of such criminals, he/she should report them. It's stealing." We all know them. You've just sited one. Go on the internet posting and look for yourself. If the stupid state politicians would re-organize sales tax collections GA would be flush with money. They waste their time playing shell games on vehicle ad valorem taxes and new title fees. Ed Rynders and buddies are off in the ocean turning their rudderless garbage scow. It's typical results of worthless, dimwitted politicians who are accomplished at verbal masturbation but useless when it comes to running a government. So there! I agree with the Squawk.

agirl_25 1 year, 5 months ago

The Chambers Motors guy must be before my time. I don't remember him. The only motors guy I remember, and my mind is a bit foggy on this one, is something to do with some GM dealer in another county, maybe Calhoun (?) who got into some sort of trouble (drugs or money laundering, don't recall) many years ago. Never heard much about it. It may have been during the time the lady in Edison had the newspaper everyone hated because she exposed so many stories people didn't want exposed. She called the Early County News once a "mullet wrapper" which I found kind of amusing (after my old Yankee brain figured out it was an insult....duh is me, huh).

agirl_25 1 year, 5 months ago

You need to get in touch with US Attorney Sally Quillian Yates, in the Northern District of Georgia, vice chair of the Attorney General’s Advisory Committee of U.S. Attorneys. She can tell you all about the charges against the Chambers fella (I asked, hehehe) as her district handles many many tax and embezzelment schemes. Besides, there is a web page that you can go to for a list of Georgia felons, listing the prison, incarceration date, and when released. Maybe he did time?

oldster 1 year, 5 months ago

While I "suspect" this is true, I have no expertise or experience in this matter so I will not comment.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

It doesn't require having expertise few of us do unless we are accountants. You do have experience in paying sales tax and you have a vested interest in seeing the revenue is properly reported and collected. I encourage you to think about it. I apologize if I seem irascible. It's one of the "things" government could resolve if they choose. It doesn't make one bit of sense, not one. It's huge sums of money left on the ground.

WTFwtf 1 year, 5 months ago

U ever notice the adding machine sitting next to the cash register at some restaurants or stores. Used to avoid recording sales and paying the tax. Done in broad daylight

waltspecht 1 year, 5 months ago

Seems I have seem many articles over the years about just such goings on. I think this sort of thing should require a daily deposit to the State so they collect any interest, instead of the collecting business. Plus they don't get that much of a chance to steal. The good Fryer has brought this very thing up several times already.

chinaberry25 1 year, 5 months ago

I use to have a sale tax number and I stopped using it and wrote the state I have stopped the business. I still kept getting the form and I stopped filing the form. A year later I got a call on the phone about this. No taxes were ever not paid u becase where I did business paid the sales tax, but I had to pay a fine since I was late filing the form. If you really owe thousands of dollars why are they not going after them?