Phillip Phillips' mother charged

Sheryl Jean Phillips is led to a squad car by Albany-Dougherty Drug Unit Officer Paul Guhl Thursday.

ALBANY, Ga. — The mother of "American Idol" winner Phillip Phillips has been charged with DUI, officials say.

photo

Sheryl Jean Phillips

Sheryl Jean Phillips was booked at the Dougherty County Jail on charges of DUI less safe after a traffic stop around 1 p.m. Thursday on North Madison Street in Albany. The stop, conducted by the Albany-Dougherty Drug Unit, was initiated after Phillips was reportedly seen weaving on the roadway, Maj. Bill Berry says.

"The driver was all over the road, so my officer pulled her over," Berry said. "She was taken to the hospital for a blood test and has been charged with DUI-less safe."

Berry told WFXL-TV, the Herald's media partner, that Phillips was observed striking a curb by officers.

Depending on the results of the blood test, Berry said the charges, which also include failure to maintain lane, could be revisited.

Berry said that DUI less safe is generally charged when a person isn't believed to be under the influence of alcohol, but could be under the influence of another substance.

"They didn't smell or detect any alcohol on her person, but she couldn't complete the field sobriety test, so our guys charged her with less safe since she was under the influence of something," Berry said.

The results of the blood test could take weeks to come back, Berry said.

Comments

Albanite 1 year, 2 months ago

Drunk to the point of weaving at 1 in the afternoon?

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

They charge that when the person isn't believe to be under the influence of alcohol, but maybe another substance. They said they could not smell alcohol on her.

jglass 1 year, 2 months ago

Please explain the "DUI-less safe". Isn't DUI, DUI?

guardian 1 year, 2 months ago

There are about 5 or 6 different ways to charge someone with DUI; Less Safe is one of them.

ontario1966 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe less safe means, less of a fine?

beenhereawhile 1 year, 2 months ago

DUI-less safe is awaiting final blood alcohol test.

....not that I have first hand knowledge though

guardian 1 year, 2 months ago

Not just alcohol; the blood or urine test could be to determine if she was under the influence of drugs which could include legal over-the-counter or prescription medications that impair someone's ability to drive.

bubbavet 1 year, 2 months ago

Business must be slow. Why don't they put all arrest pictures in? I think it is wrong to put any in until they are convicted. It is the old " they had to be doing something wrong or they wouldn't have been arrested" there are too many real innocent people in jail because of the "super cop" mentality.

Bulldawg 1 year, 2 months ago

The point of the picture is she was arrested for driving while intoxicated. Being convicted of DUI remains to be seen. The picture is in the paper because it happend plain and simple.

dmyers80 1 year, 2 months ago

I totally agree with part of your comment... The part about it being wrong to put someone in jail unless they are convicted.... Now I DONT disagree with people being arested because there are way too many idiots running loose on the streets... But if the justice system say innocent ubtil proven guilty... The why does an innocent man have to sit in jail until he is proven guilty?? Jut change that part!!! Lets say if we think you did it you gotta prove you didnt and sit in jail until you do!!

JoshuaSmith 1 year, 2 months ago

Georgia Code Section for that charge. § 40-6-391(a)(2). Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or other intoxicating substances; penalties; publication of notice of conviction for persons convicted for second time; endangering a child (a) A person shall not drive or be in actual physical control of any moving vehicle while: (2) Under the influence of any drug to the extent that it is less safe for the person to drive;

JoshuaSmith 1 year, 2 months ago

It is not awaiting a blood test. They are two different charges.

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe she came back from a dentist or oral surgeon and had a tooth cut out and was still woozy from the novacane and gas. Several years ago I had a tooth cut out and I was so woozy when I was finished I had to have somebody with me to drive me home.

Either that or the publicity of the success her son is facing is getting to her and she is resorting to drugs.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

You never know....I once took a prescribed medication (not a narcotic) and it caused temporary blindness and it happened slowly......scared the bejesus outta me but I am sure it appeared I was drunk. I was driving in a residential area....about 30 mph and just went slowly into a ditch.

DebBruner 1 year, 2 months ago

Here's the problem I have with the coverage by The Albany Herald and Fox31 News - If this had been me there would have been no coverage. But because her son if famous it is news? DUI-less safe could mean that Mrs. Phillips has a reaction/interaction with prescription medications. To subject her and the family to this media circus is illresponsible.. Or better yet - rush to report..

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 2 months ago

Was she arrested? P.S.: Fame is a two-edged sword.

DebBruner 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes she was arrested.. Just don't see the newsworthiness of the story.. If it had been me that they stopped, there would have been no story.. Just because her son is famous is not a reason to cover this story.. If this is a result of prescribed medications for a medical condition and was the result of drug interactions and not something she did intentionally.

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 2 months ago

Guess we'll have to just wait and see. BTW, J.D. just happened upon the stop with all the ADDU cars, he turned around and took a picture as the cop was taking the person into custody. Didn't even know it was her until looking at the pictures later. Now, if you are in the news business, what would you have done?

mr_nobody 1 year, 2 months ago

It honestly wouldn't disappoint me in the least if "the business" made it a point to publicly humiliate people who drive under the influence. I wish I could read articles including pictures of deadbeat parents who don't pay child support, and people who are costing the local government money by not paying their bills.

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

The newspaper reporter did right to report the incident and person. It should be reported by the paper and news media every time irregards of personalities. I think they do that around here even when it causes problems in personal friendships.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 2 months ago

Listen to Terry ....he knows about attempting to bring down those who are popular.......

dickyboy 1 year, 2 months ago

Why wasn't the woman who caused the wreck at gillionville and slappey who was impaired not cited?

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 2 months ago

You'll have to ask the APD that question.

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

Why don't you? Why isn't it of interest to the paper? It is certainly important to the community.

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

Show some initiative. I'm glad Woodward and Bernstein didn't have that attitude.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

Does anyone know the woman who caused the wreck at Gillionville and Slappey? Was she somebody?

wesrres 1 year, 2 months ago

She and her husband chased the cameras to be stars only because their son was a star. They destroyed their family to get in the spotlight. There is an old saying.."be careful what you wish for"..if you want to be in the spotlight in the good times, be prepared to be in the spotlight in the bad times. She asked to be a star..now she is...

ublendsowell 1 year, 2 months ago

If you knew them as I have known them my entire life, you would know that you are WAY off base. They are the most humble God loving people I know (and I know ALOT of people!). If supporting and being proud of your son is 'chasing the cameras', then most folks would be guilty. If you knew them, you would also know that this incident is probably due to some medication taken for a medical issue - NOT recreational drugs and NOT alcohol. Get the truth first before you go bashing people.

FryarTuk 1 year, 2 months ago

I hope we learn later that it is the result of a medical issue or treatment. I still don't think the paper can ignore it and include the incident as news. I would like to think they had enough starch in their britches to get off their arses and ask and report why the driver wasn't charged in the traffic accident at Gillionville and Slappey. It shows an amazing lack of journalistic curiosity.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

Just out of curiosity I thought the Albany Herald had stopped printing the daily edition of the newspaper...or am I wrong? I was under the impression that months ago it stopped publication. I must have misunderstood.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 2 months ago

The Albany Herald is mostly interested in scandal-ism type journalism these days.......

dickyboy 1 year, 2 months ago

Don't worry TMZ will keep us informed.... and AG that was the journal.....

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

I thought the other Albany paper folded, the Journal, and was only an online paper. I must have misunderstood about the Herald as I thought it was only an online paper now. Duh is me, huh? Thanks dickyboy. See I never get out of the country...haha..I guess I need to leave the sticks more, huh?

sammyrayw 1 year, 2 months ago

The Herald is still printed daily, but it is my understanding that it is being printed elsewhere now, not here in Albany.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

Thanks sammy, got it now...as I say, I need to get out more....sigh....

dickyboy 1 year, 2 months ago

Looks like WALB is going to lay low on this one....

jglass 1 year, 2 months ago

I hope that if it was caused by medication, and not alcohol that the herald will do the right thing and give another report. The media is just out for the drama because most of the time they report incorrectly!!!! We will see if a follow up stories comes out.

guardian 1 year, 2 months ago

It doesn't matter what substance caused the impairment, she can still be charged with DUI if she took something that impaired her ability to drive including legal medications.

TrixibelleBento 1 year, 2 months ago

This is why I go to Atlanta to drink and drive.

Thurman 1 year, 2 months ago

I also know this entire family, and for many years. No way would I believe that Sheryl could have been under the influence of alcoholic beverages. She would have to tell me to my face for me to belive that. Medication? Certainly a likely cause. Some type of medical problem? Even diabetes will render a person "under an influence" if their blood sugar goes too low or too high--I know that one. Hopefully the Herald will print the resolution to this event.

Tonto 1 year, 2 months ago

Pretty sad when folks see a person in what has to be the most embarrasing, distressing position they have ever found themselves in and all they think about is how to twist the knife and give their opinion on why they deserved it.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

Totally agree Tonto.... I am sure there will be plenty of time to pound her into the ground if she is in fact found to have been driving impaired and they feel the need to.....but in the meantime, leave the woman alone.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 2 months ago

Never hear anything about oLuke Bryan's mamma and she goes to the CMA's....Phillips mom and pop wanted the attention....and mom goes to jail. Hummmmm.....

B4it 1 year, 2 months ago

Good journalist pick and choose which events are news worthy all the time. Just like some squawks are printed and some are not, and some comments made in this forum are censored because of offensive content.

I think we should appreciate the Police for doing their job to stop a potential accident from happening, regardless of whatever impaired this driver (whether it be medically related or by an illegal substance). Rushing to a guilty judgement without the FACTS is never a wise move.

bigbob 1 year, 2 months ago

Looks like she may be perfect for a diabetic problem.

missdaisy 1 year, 2 months ago

There are five subsections to the DUI statute. DUI Less Safe is often used when the person refuses a state-administered test or when the test results are below a .08. And yes you can be charged with DUI below a .08; there just has to be other evidence of impairment. Any DUI charge can be later amended if blood/breath/urine show some other appropriate charge. You can be charged and convicted of DUI of a prescription medication. The prescription is not a defense. You may legally possess the drug, but if it causes you to be impaired, you are DUI. An explanation, it is legal to possess Jack Daniels, but if you consume so much that you are impaired and drive, you have committed a DUI. Same thing with the prescription drug, you legally possess it but if it causes you to be impaired while you are driving you are DUI.

jglass 1 year, 2 months ago

ublendsowell and Thurman..................I am glad you guys posted on this since you are friend with Mrs. Phillips. I hope that the Herald is made to do a follow up story when the results of the blood tests come back.

rock 1 year, 2 months ago

Come on People, Whether she was intoxicated or MEDICALLY impaired, she was IMPAIRED. That in itself makes her and anyone else dangerous and should be removed from the road. If she came back from the dentist, she is impaired, if she has a medical condition and it was an acute onset that will be discovered, but she is still impaired and should have been removed from the road. We can justify all sorts of reason for this, but the bottom line is, she was impaired, behind the wheel of an automobile on the road and could have killed some. Doctors tell you that if you are going to be sedated, to bring someone to drive you home, medicaations state not to operate vehicles until you know your reaction. Either way, unless this is an acute onset, she was irresponsible.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree rock....I once worked with a nurse who laughed about driving home (about 45 miles) after having her eyes dilated.....she laughed and laughed and thought it was soooooo funny. She drove from a large city too, during 5 o'clock traffic, not some podunk small town either. How funny is it to imagine some visually impaired person (a nurse, mind you, of all people!!) joking about how funny it was trying to drive home with her pupils dilated the size of saucers? I wanted to strangle her. Talk about being impaired. I wonder what she could have been charged with? I know I could have been charged with voluntary manslaughter.

bunny 1 year, 2 months ago

Sheryl is such a nice person, I just don't believe she was drinking. Give her a break, don't bash someone and embrass them to death just to get some news story, You have totally embrassed Sheryl and it's just not right. If her family is having financial difficulties, marriage problems, etc, hasn't she got enough to deal with without you blasting this all over the country. Put yourself in her shoes, jerk

chinaberry25 1 year, 2 months ago

My first and only thought is that this is early to get a DUI. She must have had another reason. She may even be diabetic.

jglass 1 year, 2 months ago

Rock, I do agree with you. However, to me, this is not news worthy! Media just being the media!!!

dickyboy 1 year, 2 months ago

Unfortunately these kind of stories sells papers ..when Bill Davis owned the Journal..he put the juicy story above the crease and we would put 50¢ in the slot he made a living for years cause he knew what would sell

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

Oh now I remember that paper.....it was a tabloid sort with eye catching headlines huh? Years ago when I was in workforce people used to bring all sorts of reading material from all over Sowega to work and during the PM to AM shifts when things got slow we read them. I remember the Journal and there was one from Edison too, a female editor ran it and she would hit below the belt a lot. I think she sold her paper and it is either no longer in print or is a much milder, kinder version.

Ihope4albany 1 year, 2 months ago

Let us pray for Mrs. Phillips. My goodness Albany, have some heart!

I am still hoping for your redemption.

waltspecht 1 year, 2 months ago

Whatever it was, there was something wrong with her ability to operate a motor vehicle. She got caught, and a Reported was there. The Reporter did their job, not even recognizing who the individual was. I have always had a problem in that drivers of personal vehicles are not required to maintain a medical card as is a Commercial Truck Driver. Most Truck Drivers are not allowed to drive, nor Pilots allowed to fly if they pass a certain point in the development of Diabetes. With this disease so wide spread, this should definately apply to all Drivers. However, the Legislayors are too afraid of the backlash from the Public this would create. So road safety is once more compremised at the alter of getting re-elected.

Black_Falcon 1 year, 2 months ago

I wonder if she was Shaniqua Alazaye' Johnson, would so many people be so quick to "defend" her?

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

Being facetious with the name or is the Shaniqua Alazaye' Johnson case one I missed? Give me the facts and I will tell you if I would defend her or not.

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

Being facetious with the name or is the Shaniqua Alazaye' Johnson case one I missed? Give me the facts and I will tell you if I have an opinion. Did she do something recently that would make her need defending? While surfing the net I found a page on Yahoo that asked......"What is the ghetto-ish name you ever heard?" and BINGO...guess which name popped up...........I am not going to it say but you started this so I will let you check it out....: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090723183639AAQ5quP

Just scroll down a bit, about the 16th reply. I don't make these things up as you can see by the date in the question/answer section. Not so funny now is it?

Black_Falcon 1 year, 2 months ago

Look at the case of Ms. Harvey in Dawson and her 4 year old daughter and you will get the gist of what I am talking about. With Ms. Phillips (most) people are willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. However, concerning (the late) Ms. Harvey, she is condemned by the masses for being an unmarried woman living in public housing.

Not so funny now is it?

agirl_25 1 year, 2 months ago

I know what you were implying...I also commented on the death of the innocent child...I know exactly what you were talking about...maybe next time you may choose a name more carefully to make your point. Stop spending so much time being an angry black man and try being just a man for a change...I am so sick of this color thing........aren't you? As far as asking "not so funny now is it?"....if I did something like that I would be embarrassed and hoped if I knew the young lady she never saw what a dumb ass stunt I pulled to try to be clever.

jaybird 1 year, 2 months ago

Aww Terry, Who believes JD just happened by to snap the picture and he did not know who it. was. Someone tipped him. Why so much back up Did they think she was hauling drugs.Why did the DUI guys not simply take her to the hospital without the fanfare and smut picture. Suppose that was your mother. In order to get a scandle story the local news hurt not only the family, But all of us who are starved for role models in SOWEGA.

Jus_lil_ole_me 11 months, 1 week ago

I wonder where the Herald is when cops get DUIs - or flip their vehicles while driving under the influence - or T-bone other vehicles after leaving a nightclub?