Fire hits house second time in a day

ALBANY, Ga. — A home on the 500 block of Honeysuckle Drive sustained fire damage twice in less than 24 hours.

According to Albany Fire Department reports, a clothes iron left on an ironing board started a fire that heavily damaged the residence at at 11 p.m. Thursday.

About 1:30 p.m. Friday, smoldering boxes out of view in the attic restarted the fire, according to Fire Battalion Chief Arthur Dyer. No injuries were reported on either day.

"There were a couple of boxes up in the attic that were hard to find," Dyer said. "We put it out, and we'll come back again to check it out."

The Thursday fire started with a clothes iron left on an ironing board in the house's laundry room by her son, homeowner Lucille Smith said. The fire spread from the laundry room to the kitchen, dining room, garage and attic, according to a fire report.

The report said that the 7,200-square-foot, two-story stucco building at 529 Honeysuckle Drive had $70,000 in damage to the $450,000 structure and $50,000 in damage to the contents valued at $200,000.

The Thursday fire was under control 24 minutes after firefighters arrived at the scene. There was no estimate immediately available for how quickly the fire was extinguished Friday.


jglass 2 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like it was still smouldering and started up again. Goodness!!!


VSU 2 years, 9 months ago

Either that or someone is eager for their house to burn down.


bubbavet 2 years, 9 months ago

It never was out. "It" happens. Glad I wasn't the officer in charge.


Sign in to comment