Terrell hit and run leaves two dead

DAWSON, Ga.— Scotty Oxford, 36, surrendered to Eufaula, Ala., police after 1:30 p.m. Friday in connection with the hit-and-run killing of a mother and her daughter, Dawson Police Chief Charlie Whitehead said.

The deceased were 24-year-old Latosha Harvey and her 4-year-old daughter, Emani.

A third victim, 23-year-old Adrianna Glover, remains in critical condition in Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Police reports say the two adults and Emani were walking across U.S. Highway 82/State Route 520 a little north of Dawson when a Southern Ag Carriers Inc. tractor-trailer hit them at about 7:45 p.m. Thursday.

Oxford ran from the truck and crash scene.

Whitehead said that Terrell County Sheriff’s Office deputies would collect Oxford and take him to jail.

Calls to a Southern Ag Carriers office in Albany asking for information or an appointment were not returned despite a clerk saying that someone would call back.

Whitehead added that the Georgia State Patrol would bring any charges against Oxford. The case remains under investigation.

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

A few years ago, folks getting hit by trucks and cars in this particular area were unusually common. Many of those incidents involved alcohol. I though Dawson had done a good job clearing that up. Now I do not know much about this accident, or the cause. What I do find interesting is the Boyfriend professing his undying love for the Mother and Daughter, yet he had nor married? Plus they interview him in Public Housing. Could they not be married so she got the Housing and benefits from Taxpayers while he got his benefits from her? Just wondering. Now the loss of any life is bad, especially a four year old that hasn't been guilty of anything other than being a child. Yet I see these folks seemingly getting ready to call a TV Lawyer. Just from what was said, and how it was said. Almost scripted.

dmyers80 1 year, 10 months ago

You make it seem like the adults in this tragedy are guilty of something... A truck driver hits 3 and kills 2 of your loved ones, but because where they live, I guess its frowned upon if you live in public housing to pursue civil action against someone who's negligence caused the loss of life!!

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

No, read for comprehension. I stated it depicted the Father of the child in Public Housing enviornment. He had not married the Mother. This is a common dodge to avoid paying for the Mother and Babies upkeep by simply moving into the public housing supplied the Mother. I also questioned the phrasing of the statement, sort of laying claim. No, anyone legally entitled should be able to seek legal recourse. I am just saying that if a recovery is made, the State should seek restitution for the benefits paid the Mother and Child. I would not want this individual, nor anyone like him to profit from his lack of responsibility in the past. Why should the Taxpayer always pick up the tab?

MRKIA 1 year, 10 months ago

WALT, WE ARE FRIENDS ON MOST OF THE ISSUES THAT ARE COMMENTED ON AND I'M SURE YOU MEANT NO DISRESPECT TO THE FAMLIES BUT YOUR COMMENT IN THIS CASE IS IMPROPER. JUST SAYING.

mae1856 1 year, 9 months ago

TOO waltspecht. GED something to think about. Are you for real.

may god be the family.

Oldguy 1 year, 10 months ago

Two people have died, one of them a small child and all you people are concerned with is their welfare check. For years I have avoided any truck with this companied name on it, they seem to me to be the most reckless, inconsiderate truck drivers in this area.

Jax 1 year, 10 months ago

The driver leaving the scene is secondary to the negligence that caused this tragedy in the first place. Do the two adults crossing the street with the child hold no responsibility in the matter? How wreckless is that? I'm very sorry for the loss of life in this situation, but it seems like the adult pedestrians are the most at fault.

Black_Falcon 1 year, 10 months ago

Why don't we extend (the late) Ms. Harvey and her 4-year old daughter the same courtesey as Mrs. Phillips and wait until ALL the facts are known before deciding who was at fault.

southgadiva 1 year, 10 months ago

I cant believe that in the midst of such a tragedy, the issue of whether the victims lived in public housing or received any government assistance is all that you can care to think abt. I further cant believe that blame is being placed on the adult victims because they didnt cross the road properly. Question to you, where you there at the time the incident occured? All i know is that neither issue is relevant at this point because lives have been lost. Rest in peace Latosha and ypur angelEmani.

tiredofit 1 year, 10 months ago

AMEN It is very unfortunate for the loss of life, but they were in the road, not the truck on the sidewalk . This still does not relieve him of his responsibility to stop and render aid.

sowegap 1 year, 10 months ago

I am very familiar with this area, I live in Dawson and my sister lives in a neighborhood across from where this tragedy took place. You have a very busy highway and an extremely busy convenience store in this area and those who live here use this highway all the time. It is the only way to cross the street to get to the store, most people as was the victims were standing in the turning lane, which is the practice because even though this is a busy highway, there is no crossing lights so if you are unlucky enough to have to go to the store, then you have to cross this highway. They were doing what hundreds have done before them. They are not the only ones to lose their lives in that area. IT WAS A TRAGEDY. The victims were just innocent victims doing what they have probably done countless times before.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

It made the truck driver look bad to run from the scene as if maybe he had something to hide, like was he under the influence of alcohol or something? If people are in the road, they too should be held responsible. I don't know the full circumstances like....was the driver drunk?....was he speeding? ....did he fall asleep at the wheel?...On his cellphone? It just seems the driver was hiding something or he would not have ran away. If it is an accident that could not have been prevented, he had nothing to worry about, unless he was afraid someone would attack him or something. Something just does not add up.

Jax 1 year, 10 months ago

Maybe he was scared of something being found in his system. One of those dangerous, illegal plants perhaps.

squawkee 1 year, 10 months ago

I hope you all aren't bringing up the adults crossing the highway illegally because it is a SouthernAg vehicle. We all know SouthernAg is owned and operated by a prominent local businessman. I don't even think he would approve of you all making those comments. I really hope you think before you speak. Never ever forget; you have a maker to stand before one day. You think He's going to approve of these insensitive comments? Lives were lost- bottom line! Would you be saying the same thing if it were your loved ones? Were you all saying the same thing when the cyclists was killed on 82 in Terrell County? Let's not judge EVERYTHING from a socioeconomic standpoint. Do you actually think he would rather have the money or his child? I've seen people that aren't struggling for money or accepting handouts sue for loss of life. Look at all the facts before you rush to judge.

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

My god a child is dead, an innocent little child, I weep for the innocent baby, and you argue about welfare money. Shame shame shame on you. Let us take a moment to think of the things the child will no longer enjoy in life......

Black_Falcon 1 year, 10 months ago

Phillip Phillips' mother gets arrested for DUI and excused are abound (i.e. she might be diabetic, it was a medical emergency, people should wait before they pass judgement, etc.). In this case, two people were killed and another critically injured and what is the discussion about? Welfare checks and lawsuits. No one comes to the aid of LaTosha Harvey and her 4 year old daughter. NO... She is condemned for living in public housing and not being married.

nicole2013 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks @girl_25 and black falcon for being 2 ADULTS with a mind and a heart. Again no one deserves that. i just wish it never happened! this is a very sad situation. im done discussing this situation. God bless them all!

danielle1 1 year, 10 months ago

I want to know what is so wrong about 2 people being in a committed relationship with one another and choose to not be married right away. Yea I know what the bible says but who is anyone to judge and question someone's decision to not be married? I have been in a relationship for 9 years that produced 2 beautiful children but I think it is equally wrong for someone to question my decision to not up and run to the courthouse and get married. People have used and abused the system for years and will continue to do so regardless. Like others before me have said 2 innocent people tragically lost their lives way too early and it's very sad that this is what the topic of conversation has to be about.

RedEric 1 year, 10 months ago

You can not be married all your life if you want. You have the right to go to bed with whomever you want. Do not make the decision for the children to be raised in a single parent home. A child is incomplete without the influence of both parents. I think it is a form of abuse to make babies with no intent of a marriage commitment.

danielle1 1 year, 10 months ago

What's the difference in getting married, making babies and then getting a divorce? OR just skipping the headache of marriage/divorce and living to make yourselves happy rather than try to please a bunch of judgmental, mean people? I thought I said I was in a committed relationship? Is it really that much different from marriage?

revolutionnow 1 year, 10 months ago

A real marriage means:" till death do you part " . Now that is commitment. Two become one and then begin a family. You be the judge. If you are wrong, you will find out in the end.

mae1856 1 year, 9 months ago

Very sad mother & child dead,and all you small mind people can think about is if she was married. If she had been married would that had saved her life?

Praying for the family. and all the people in Dawson.