Squawk of the Day - Feb. 19, 2013

It is time to demand from our lawmakers that identity theft of any kind be made a federal capital crime with an automatic death penalty regardless of the circumstance, age of the perpetrator or monetary amount of the offense.

Squawks are submitted by the public and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Albany Herald.

Comments

dickyboy 1 year, 10 months ago

Don't think that will pass.....but I have become a bit paranoid.. checking my bank and credit card accounts on a daily basis...

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

I do too dickeyboy.....I ordered airline tickets once with a credit card and had a problem because there were more than 6 seats for an overseas flight. I was told to contact the airline. Don't know why other than the fact they could only handle 6 per online purchase. I called the 800 number, got the tickets and felt that was it. Sure enough, someone got my credit card number and started buying like a fool. My credit union, Pentagon Federal, caught it immediately, froze the account and called me and and asked about the charges....whew.....was I ever lucky. As far as my local bank goes...the folks there are great about it...they watch over everyone's accounts like hawks.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

Yikes! Did you have a bad experience?! Don't click the link for that FREE IPAD!!!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

That would be ruled Discriminatory by the Supreme Court.

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

One does have to wonder why harsher action is not taken against those that are caught. Even more so, one has to wonder how so many of these frauds, and income tax filings come out of Prisons. Plus, why is the money not recovered? Very small recoveries are made in comparison to the theft amount.

oldster 1 year, 10 months ago

Also many of these scoundrels live in other countries, which makes it harder to prosecute.

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

True oldster, my 800 call I made for the airline tickets went to a call center in the Philippines....at least it wasn't to India....and the credit union security people said he apparently gave my number to a relative in Miami and one in one of the Carolinas who went on a spending spree. I had a jazillion papers to sign but it was all done by electronic signature so no bother mailing papers back and forth, and all calls were recorded. It was nearly 2 years ago and have had no problems since.

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

I can take you further. The post office has hired the thugs. They are also stealing social security checks hence the direct deposits. These are being done inside the post office in Atlanta. My husband's check was stolen and we have a PO Box, so it is never outside of the post office. The clerk said that the week before had not gotten their checks either. The taxpayers have to replace this money, and some last month had taken $700,000. At this rate between the politicians and thugs both stealing we will have no money left in 4 years.

USTPC 1 year, 10 months ago

One correction Chinaberry25, there is no money left today.

Broken_to_bits 1 year, 10 months ago

I think the penalty you are suggesting is a bit extreme but do agree that the current punishment (if caught) is far too lenient. I do remember reading recently that Albany was at the top of the list for identity theft in the US...

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 10 months ago

somebody has been watching FAUX NEWS again.......

RedEric 1 year, 10 months ago

Our government is training more people to expect free stuff. These trained people are then vulnerable to the lures used by the thieves. Crime breeds crime. It always has, it always will.

alleebrin 1 year, 10 months ago

My experience: Called a local bank and had a CD rolled over into a money market account. In a few days, a number of blank checks were mailed to me with my name, account number, etc. (I never received the blank checks.) On my first statement there appeared about six of those checks, cashed here in Albany, Waycross and as far away as Atlanta, all at the same grocery store. I say the blank checks never left the bank - or didn't get through the post office. I can't begin to enumerate here the frustration, anxiety and time before this matter was settled. Why would banks take that chance?? And it still happens from a credit card account I no longer use!! lol

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

Was it a large chain grocery store or a smaller one? Just curious?

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

It's hard enough to get someone executed for murder these days, no matter how many people they murder. And if they get a death sentence they get their lives extended many years via appeals and retrials etc. So I don't think there is a ghost of a chance a person will be sentenced to death for identity theft and fraud.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 10 months ago

You must be smart when using the Internet. ID thieves can easily get your info from phishing your email account or planting malware on your PC after you click on a pop-up.