GHSA CLASS AAAA TOURNAMENT: Herald No. 1 Monroe boys drub Dutchtown in opener

Monroe's Daryl Anderson, left, takes the ball to the hole around Dutchtown's Aundre Reid during Tuesday's first round of state in Albany. Anderson and the Tornadoes rolled to an easy win. (joe.bellacomo@albanyherald.com)

ALBANY – The curse in the first is over.

After falling at home in the first round to lower seeds the past two seasons, Monroe came out with a vengeance Tuesday in the opening round of the Class AAAA boys state playoffs and outgunned Dutchtown, 78-55, to advance to the Sweet 16 later this week.

“As a family, we talked about the last two years being knocked out,” Tornadoes head coach Marquis Davis said. “We had to get the bear off of us, and now we’ve got the bear off and hopefully we can keep rolling.”

Monroe (22-5, Region 1-AAAA’s No. 2 seed) will play today’s winner between Rutland High and Liberty County either Friday or Saturday. If Region 2-AAAA No. 1 seed Rutland (20-5), ranked in the Top 10 in the state, wins as the favorite, the Tornadoes will be on the road in the second round.

The Tornadoes mashed the gas pedal early Tuesday and never let off, leading, 15-3, just five minutes in after back-to-back Darian Anderson 3-pointers. Anderson hit five treys in the first half and finished with 19.

“My teammates did a good job of finding me when I was open and getting me the ball,” Anderson said.

Herald Super 6er Jabari McGhee, averaging over 17 points per game, started the block party in the second quarter with a dunk on one end off a missed shot and then swatted a Dutchtown attempt on the opposite end of the court with Monroe leading 32-12.

Anderson hit his fourth 3-pointer with 3:58 to play in the second quarter coming off a huge Cortez Banks blocked shot on the other end and the Tornadoes led 36-14. Monroe led 45-23 at the break and the rout in the first round was finally on for the previously snake-bitten Tornadoes.

“We don’t want to be like any other class,” said McGhee, who has been through heartbreak in the first round. “We want to do some things.”

McGhee led Monroe with 24 points. Banks added 13, while Tim White had 12 points in the win.

Bulldogs leading scorer Donovahn Jones, who averages just under 20 points per game, got on track in the second half and scored a game-high 26. Jones is headed to the University of Minnesota to play receiver on the gridiron, while 330-pound big man Jordan Harris, who has signed to play football at Alabama State, added eight points in the loss.

“This was a hostile environment,” Dutchtown head coach Terry Herrod said. “(Monroe) came out and shot the basketball lights out. I think for them losing to Westover (in the region finals last week) really fired them up. Sometimes it takes a loss like that to get your team focused. (Tuesday) they were focused, and they put it on us.”

After beating rival Westover three times during the regular season, the loss in the Region 1-AAAA title game to the Patriots may have provided a wake-up call for Monroe.

“I believe that was the spark that we needed to ignite us,” Anderson said. “It got us refocused for the state tournament. It hurt, but it also helped. I thought about it a lot. We just had to focus on the present and that was (Tuesday).”

McGhee wasn’t about to let the Westover loss cause another first-round collapse.

“We couldn’t pout over it,” he said. “We’re trying to win a state championship.”

Davis was just glad his players put the region title loss behind them and moved on to the new prize now on the table.

“One of goals was to win the region, but our ultimate goal is to do well in the state playoffs,” Davis said. “Westover played well (Friday in the region championship). Hats off to them and good luck to them (today).”

Comments

AuntieDee 1 year, 6 months ago

Dutch town who? From Henry Where? Who said they had a different level of guard play in North Georgia? Well...Welcome to South Georgia Dutchie Boys! Oh Yeah. Monroe took Dutch Town to school tonight. You can call it Nada Ball 101.

Monroe had this game hands down right from the start. They showed those North Georgia boys some real southern hospitality. Go Nadas. We're headed for Rutland and taking it one game at a time.

outtabany 1 year, 6 months ago

AuntieDee.. It's DUTCHTOWN from HENRY COUNTY. We got some of the smartest kids in Georgia. So, you all keep dribbling balls and we'll beat the halls... in school.... Monroe is good for something!!!!!

AuntieDee 1 year, 6 months ago

Outabany…don’t be a sore loser and don’t make this ugly. First of all, this was between Hot Dog and I and we’ve already had a nice, civil, light-hearted discussion about this (see his post). Secondly, this was about a basketball game, not an Academic Debate.

Now, since the ugly monster raised his head and you open the door, I will enlighten you...

All the Nada haters were expecting this excellent (unheard of) team from North Georgia (with the SUPER guards- LMBO) to come to Monroe and shoot us out of our “ole’ raggedy gym” (I heard y’all talking about our gym after the game-SMH). However, it was just the opposite. Y’all got your butts “tore up from the floor up” in that “ole’ raggedy gym”. ({LMBO}

So, sugga-booga, DON’T GET IT TWISTED! We have some SMART KIDS at Monroe as well. They EXCEL academically as well as athletically. So, the next time we offer a Nada Basketball 101 Class we will invite your “smartest kids in Georgia” to come learn how to dribble the ball, dunk without missing, play defense and beat the halls (in school) at the same time. Then Dutch whoever, from Henry where-ever, will be as GOOD at a lot of things as Monroe, especially in BASKETBALL!

Now, if I were a lawyer and we were in court, I’d say, “The defense rests!”

hotdog 1 year, 6 months ago

Think that was directed toward me.....lol....I said guard play is important...tonite your guards stepped up....never seen anyone so excited to beat a sub 500 team.....congrats...u have a good draw MHS....UTILIZE IT TO GO FAR.....still have my reservations

AuntieDee 1 year, 6 months ago

Hot Dog, so now since we whipped Dutchtown they are considered a sub 500 team. You just can't be happy for us. lol

That's okay...have your reservations and doubts, while we have fun.

Can't wait to see what Westover will do with those tough guards tonight. Oh I forgot. North Clayton's BIG is out with an injury. Lucky for Westover.

hotdog 1 year, 6 months ago

they were 13-15....which is sub 500....actually I am glad you guys got over the first round hump....guards stepped up...thought that was a compliment...lol....like I said you have a favorable draw to the final 4....prove me wrong and I will be the first to congratulate...I am not a Nada Hata....contrary to what many believe....I just go by what I see...and that is a lot of talent that until last night has gone out early

AuntieDee 1 year, 6 months ago

Hot Dog, I don't think you are a Nada hater but you are a basketball analyst/Nada critic. {lol}

Contrary to what you may think, I actually enjoy your commentary. I think you are very knowledgeable of Albany Basketball and I've learned some history from you.

Don't mind me. I'm just a loyal Nada follower promoting my team.

Teejay 1 year, 6 months ago

Hotdog....we are excited to beat ANY TEAM and ESPECIALLY IN STATE PLAYOFFS! R U SERIOUS? You guys DOUBTED US BECAUSE Of OUR PAST RECORDS! That is OKAY! KEEP NADA HATING AND THAT ADDS FUEL TO THE FIRE! DONT BE SUCH A SOUR PUSS ALL THE TIME! LETS GO NADAS!!!

hotdog 1 year, 6 months ago

if my words motivate then great but I just know what i have seen and that is a lot of folding in playoffs by Monroe. Congrats on the win...you have final 4 talent and a good draw....good luck....still have my reservations

mrcvsjr 1 year, 6 months ago

Good to see you all got over the 1st rd. hump. If history is any indication, I do not see you all getting past this weekend.

AuntieDee 1 year, 6 months ago

Well, a lot people counted us out of the first round. But hey, we are used to the Nada Hating. Remember, History does not always repeat itself. lol

Someone said last night that wee were playing Rutland but Rutland plays Liberty CO. tonight at 6. We'll know later which one we will play.

The_Dude 1 year, 6 months ago

It says that clearly in the story - Monroe plays today's winner between Rutland and Liberty County.

AuntieDee 1 year, 6 months ago

Dude, You misread my post. Maybe you should read it again, CLEARLY! Someone had said that we were playing Rutland. That had not been determined because they did not play their first round until last night. However, we know NOW that we are playing Rutland because they won.

AuntieDee 1 year, 6 months ago

Now CLEARLY, we are playing Rutland!