Squawk of the Day - Feb. 21, 2013

"It was heard in every judicial district in the country. Nine to zero. Judge Sands was slapped down and hard. Phoebe lost with nine judges saying the judge was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Not a single justice sided with him and they didn’t wait until the end of the session."

Squawks are submitted by the public and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Albany Herald.

Comments

chinaberry25 1 year, 5 months ago

Yet you still vote for Judge Sands. No wonder Albany is a sad city, actions like this does it no good. Phoebe has been allowed to dominate Albany like a force mentioned in the Bible. Yet they pay no taxes and are given money by the counties to treat the indigent. Maybe we should run Joel for President. He can straighten this country out or kill it for good.

J.D._Sumner 1 year, 5 months ago

Two points, China... A. Judge Sands was appointed by a president, I think it was Clinton, to serve. He wasn't elected. Second, Phoebe doesn't receive money from Dougherty County to treat the indigent. There was a time when they were, but between federal subsidies and Medicare/Medicaid, they don't receive any local tax dollars for indigent care. They do, however, have a contract for inmate care at the jail, but I think that's somewhere around $700k for three years? Not sure about the numbers.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 5 months ago

Vote for Judge Sands? Federal Judges are appointed. Perfect example why the voters are so uninformed here and pick leaders who cannot lead. SMH

waltspecht 1 year, 5 months ago

That is the problem with the Judiciary. The Judgements are arbitrary according to the particular Judges beliefs and desires for their career. It is way wrong when Lawyers know a Judge well enough to figure which one they want to hear their case, where they have the best chance of winning. It really shouldn't matter, as the decision should be made on the applied basis of Law, yet the Laws are written with so many gray areas by Lawyers that these interpretations can be made favoring one side or the other.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 5 months ago

Yet Phoebe has said "We will proceed until we are FORCED to stop." That ladies and gentlemen, is the highest order of arrogance. Phoebe should be forced to sell every treatment facility in every county but Dougherty. Break the monopoly.

oldster 1 year, 5 months ago

With so many liberals on the court the decision was surprising. A strong indication that the lower court decision wasn't even close.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

Do you folks remember how Ole Taxem Ed Rynders aka as Capt. Eddie was telling us how long it would take to turn that big ship around on the auto tax bill?? Gonna take a long time. You know the ink wasn't dry on Justice Sotomayor's opinon of NINE TO ZERO before old Capt. Eddie had whupped around another big ship out there in the ocean for PPHS. That ship got names on it from Democrat Big Mama Stacey Abrams and Jay Powell and several more. Political ships make strange mates, don't they Capt Eddie?

Cartman 1 year, 5 months ago

Congrats on your squawk making print, Fry!

I will buck the thread flow and take up for Judge Sands. I think he's a fine man and a good judge. FWIW, I disagreed with Judge Sands' decision in this case and was elated to hear of the recent decision by the Supremes. However, I feel that Phoebe management is the problem - not Judge Sands.

YMMV.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

Well said re. your opinion of Judge Sands. I think he is far too liberal with criminals. The trumpet tooter here that robbed the bank got two years. The pharmacist in Camilla who stole millions of Medicaid dollars struts around on the streets today having never been behind the pipes a second even though he was convicted of 69 counts of fraud. The trial history of the felon pharmacist is something to behold. I have little knowledge of judicial history in this country but I know when something isn't right. It doesn't take a law degree anybody raised right knows the difference. And now this 9 to zip skunk.

PS The author of that squawk is really gonna get his/her dander up for my getting the credit. Thanks anyway, I could 'a done it.

Clyde 1 year, 5 months ago

It will only hurt the people of Albany if PPMH can't buy Palmyra. They have the money to build a new hospital but instead agreed to buy Palmyra, who HCA had already sat on the chopping block AND will NOT take back if PPMH pulls out which leaves everyone that works there on the streets. ALSO, PPMH, even though they are tax exempt, agreed to pay the city of Albany taxes if they bought Palmyra because HCA had been paying taxes and it would be a win-win for all if PPMH could buy it saving the jobs AND the city of Albany getting gobs of tax money. As for competition, HCA was never competition because they did not have a birthing center or a few more services that PPMH has so how could it be any kind of competition??? So, go ahead and keep screamin for them not to buy Palmyra and they will be forced, because they are completely out of room, to build a brand new hosptial which THEY WILL NOT PAY A SINGLE DIME OF TAXES TO OUR CITY. I will never say that PPMH is perfect or has never done things they shouldn't but losing the Palmyra deal is a loss for all of us if it happens. Haters, go ahead and hate and continue to spread your ignorance.

Clyde 1 year, 5 months ago

HCA had been trying to sell Palmyra for 8 years before PPMH agreed to step in. If the deal is lost no one is going to buy it so what does that leave? Our city losing, that's what it means. All the people there now will be unemployed and it will sit and become the next abandoned hotel like we had on west Oglethorpe. Why is it that we hear one person make statements that they probably heard from someone else who has no clue what they're talking about and we spread that ignorance to all we know like it's the gospel??? Do your research, or keep right on repeating something you heard and continue to make us all look like the fools we are to those people who know the real truth about PPMH, HCA and Palmyra.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

" . . . .to make us all look like the fools we are . . . ." Hmmmm.

Broken_to_bits 1 year, 5 months ago

I think the spotlight should be back on what is important. Why did Palmyra fail...do you think it could have been anything to do with what Phoebe would and/or would not let Palmyra do. I think it would be pretty tough to operate in a free market that wasn't free...But I guess like any other huge corporation if you make the rules or own those that do it's the way of the world.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

Hey Clyde, I admire your p- - s n vinegar, man. Don't lose it. You do know there isn't any criticsm of PPMH in any of the threads dealing with the Supreme Court Case. You might want to be aware that fundamentally the discussion is focused on PPHS and the so called impotent Hospital Authority. Another point which is really the big deal is that the United States Supreme Court has ruled NINE TO ZERO against the acquisition on only one of the questions it took up as the justiciable issues. They didn't even consider the second. The problem is and it is clearly stated in Justice Sotomayor's opinion the Georgia Legislature did not write state law clearly to include public hospitals under the immunity of monopolies rule. The Justice’s words “Because Georgia’s grant of general corporate powers to hospital authorities does not include permission to use those powers anticompetitively, we hold that the clear-articulation test is not satisfied and state action immunity does not apply.” So you see it’s not difficult for citizens to understand and it comes first hand not from hearsay. As I say, I do enjoy your passion for the subject but you are taking it a lot harder than W and PPHS’ attorney Tommy Chambless. Who in fact have somewhat of a relaxed response and summarily declared nonacquiesence to the ruling and will keep on keeping on inviting some sort of a showdown. This puts W and Tommy in the limited company of US President Andrew Jackson who is the only person I could find that told SCOTUS to take a hike. (History buffs don’t say Lincoln and CJ Roger Tawny who was acting as a district court in a military matter when Abe ignored him.) Anyway we could be in some history making streams here. So thanks again for your passion and jump on your camel and ride, Clyde.

Clyde 1 year, 5 months ago

No granny I don't feel any better now because I feel badly for all who will not have a job when Palmyra finally closes it's doors. Thanks FT and yes perhaps I am taking it a bit too hard and yes, I too admit that I've repeated things I've heard as gospel before looking into it deeper for as close to the truth as I could find so I said "we" because I am guilty too. I am working on getting better at that though and wish so many other people in our town would too but that may be the same as thinking everyone in Albany will stop being racist....a dream and only a dream as sad as it may be. How about we approach PPMH like we would a marriage relationship when we feel it is going south. Get a piece of paper and write down all that PPMH does that is good for not just Albany but south Ga, and then right down what PPMH does that is bad and look at the paper closely to see which list is longer. But, way too many refuse to do that when it's so much easier to repeat over and over what they hear from so many others, PPMH, the evil empire, Joel, the anti-Christ. Come on!! If any of us were hired by PPMH to do his job would we sit in our office and play solitaire every day and never do a single thing to create growth? We wouldn't be there long. PPMH is not perfect like I said before. No company or organization is, especially as big as they are. We should all be thankful that we have a top notch hospital with the most modern technology in the south when one of our family members has a very bad accident or heart attack. Or better yet...if our daughter or wife is in labor and something really bad goes wrong with the mother and the new born. Our NICU is the best and gets better and better as time passes. Doesn't that matter at all to us???

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

Your comments about the goodness of Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital are true for the most part in my opinion. The thrust of the litigation and most of discussion is not about the Hospital and I encourage you to consider that fact. In my understanding the discussion centers on the non-functional County Hospital Authority and Phoebe Putney Health Systems (PPHS) the imperial and controlling force of the inpatient, outpatient and satellite facilities in the county and beyond. The PPHS is essentially the overlord organization which uses/borrows/pirates the name "Phoebe Putney" for its legal moniker and of course it accommodates the imperialization process.

So we are discussing entirely separate entities . And the good and great service of one does not excuse mistakes and misdirection of the other. That should matter to all of us and particularly to the Hospital Authority which has been completely neutered.

I continue to be amazed why an opinion on the Georgia Law was not sought from the State Attorney General as to the legality of the transaction. One way or the other that would have bolstered, guided the acquisition. If the Authority functioned surely their attorney would have sought one.

Thanks Clyde!

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

The entire PPHS fiasco reminds me of the Arkansas plantation owner along the Mississippi who was notorious about buying all the farmland in the surrounding area. After one such purchase the wealthy Arkansan was asked by another planter if he wanted to own all the land in the country. To which he replied, " nah, I just want to own all the land that touches mine."

Clyde 1 year, 5 months ago

Thank you FT and I agree with you about the empire thing. Like I said I'm a work in progress and have much to learn. I wish I had the understanding that you do about it all, honestly and you're right. The good part of PPMH can not make up for the evil empire things that happen for sure and I may not know a lot but I have witnessed some of that bad stuff personally so it's real. There's no hiding that. I guess I just get a little upset when people keep on and on about just the bad...like it's all evil and that's not the case as you mentioned. Plus I realize I need to practice up a little on my understanding the squawk's true meaning and try to keep it between the river banks better than I do. There's plenty enough of that already on here. Thank you FT.

FryarTuk 1 year, 5 months ago

My favorite hymn is "Amazing Grace." You're a good sojourner, Clyde.