Squawk of the Day - March 1, 2013

"The Albany State students who participated in the cash mob should be complimented. They are doing exactly what it will take to bring our economy back by spending their money on local businesses. We have been begging for people to do more of this, but we rarely follow through ourselves. These young business students are getting a first-hand economics lesson and a good meal as well. Keep it up."

Squawks are submitted by the public and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Albany Herald.

Comments

Broken_to_bits 1 year, 1 month ago

Although a great gesture a one time cash mob will not help keep a business alive.

PatrickY2K 1 year, 1 month ago

Just can't say anything positive, can you?

A one time donation to the Cancer Society doesn't cure cancer either, but it's still better that it happened.

Broken_to_bits 1 year, 1 month ago

The Cancer Society is not a business and doesn't really fit well as a comparison. But you are right if I give them a $1 "once" it will help fight cancer (just not enough to matter). It's looks like you're making my point for me.

waltspecht 1 year, 1 month ago

Got good exposure, and media coverage. Hopefully that free advertising will help this Business build up a clientel that will allow it to continue to keep it's door open. The idea wasn't to put a cash influx into the business, but to expose people to what is available Downtown and hopefully give them a reason to return.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 1 month ago

Exactly!! ODB has a good following and I want to see them around for a long time. I love Jason and Mindy. They are family to me.

dmyers80 1 year, 1 month ago

It certainly exposed them to me... I had never heard of them before the article.. i actually had lunch there yesterday!!

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 1 month ago

Great move ASU....keep it up , and continue to do well......

sue 1 year, 1 month ago

A group of us try to do this on a regular basis (Thursdays) for Downtown businesses. Easy for anyone to have this VERY positive experience - get a group of friends together, commit to spending at least $2 & show up. The business appreciates it, you get to spend some time with friends & support your community. Win-win.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 1 month ago

I would love to see other "Cash Mobs" formed throughout the city. It's a positive move for the businesses that need our business to stay open.

VSU 1 year, 1 month ago

While I agree a one time visit won't keep a business stable, but with that many people going and if they liked the food, they spread the experience to their friends and some may keep going back and continue to eat there. Still a good gesture either way you look at it.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 1 month ago

Word of mouth is always the best advertising. You are right, VSU.

fedlawman 1 year, 1 month ago

Great idea, I would love to see this done on a regualr basis for all the downtown businesses.

Cartman 1 year, 1 month ago

These kids did a good thing. Don't ruin it.

FryarTuk 1 year, 1 month ago

I make my money in Albany and I spend my money in Albany.